Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2010, 07:55 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Well, there's a lady at one event I went to that sold about a 6 ounce cone of soft serve for $3.50 and did pretty well.
As for the weight, it does depend on the "overrun" aka air that's whipped in. Generally the cheaper the product the more overrun, less/cheaper inclusions like nuts cherries etc.
I know y'all are a "thrifty" group (read cheap) but I figured i'd ask anyway. I got an answer on another forum I'm on of $2 per scoop so there's a big swing from y'all.
Split the difference. $2 for the cone and one scoop. Dollar a scoop for anything added.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:56 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,162,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Split the difference. $2 for the cone and one scoop. Dollar a scoop for anything added.
While that's more than I would pay, it's probably fairly rational in the CA/AZ market, where "instant gratification" items (like ice cream trucks) tend to be higher priced than the ol' Montanan would expect. After all, Costco gets $1.50 or so for a large ice cream bar on a stick, and does a ripping business.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:21 AM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Went to Westby MT last Friday with a couple folks to go pheasant hunting. The town is aaaalllll the way in the NE corner of MT. One guy I met here in Helena is from that little town so we had access to a lot of farms. What a gorgeous area.

Was my first time hunting upland game. Took my family hand me down Browning A5 12ga and did pretty well. Got a dozen or so birds, so I'm happy. I liken' them to rabbits with wings, lol.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:01 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,162,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Many people, including many Jews, think the Star of David is the symbol of the Jewish religion. It is not.

The 7-branch Temple Menorah (not to be confused with the 8-branch Chanukah Menorah) is the religious symbol of the Jewish faith, but Jewish law prevents its public display in the same manner as Christians display the Cross, the religious symbol of the Christian faith.
What are the origins of the two types of Menorah? Also what's the logic behind the Temple Menorah being forbidden public display? (There seems to be some practical application behind almost every Jewish law, even if it's not immediately obvious.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Additionally, you may find it interesting to know that it's a great surprise to many that G. Washington and the other founding fathers (mostly Free Masons, I've been told) included the Magen Duveed (Star of David), the secular symbol of the Jewish people, on the Great Seal of the United States. You can readily see it by looking directly above the Eagle on the reverse of the one-dollar bill (it's in the stars).
Is there a record of why the Star of David was included in the Great Seal? Tho seems to me they were trying to include symbols for a variety of great historical dynasties that left a lasting heritage.

I like to play with Escher-style impossible triangles. One day I found myself with this interesting variant on the 6-pointed star:
Contortion Engineering
(2nd image)

Old 10-14-2010, 08:05 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Went to Westby MT last Friday with a couple folks to go pheasant hunting. The town is aaaalllll the way in the NE corner of MT. One guy I met here in Helena is from that little town so we had access to a lot of farms. What a gorgeous area.

Was my first time hunting upland game. Took my family hand me down Browning A5 12ga and did pretty well. Got a dozen or so birds, so I'm happy. I liken' them to rabbits with wings, lol.
I haven't been pheasant hunting in years (and I have a life time upland game bird license). Sounds like you had a great time and that's the important part.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:45 AM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,122,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post

........Hey ThreeRun........

Just 'broke out the Lap Top' after several days of travelin'....me and the Brittany. Saw your post re pheasants....... I'm now here in northern Illinois for my 60th high school reunion. Did a little pheasant huntin' in that N/E corner of MT as I passed thru on the way into ND. The Brittany (REX) sure had fun with a few of those "ditch parrots'. That Browning A5 is the gun I grew up with back in the 1940's.......used it for everything: pheasants, rabbits, squirrel, duck & , geese, yotes & deer (slugs) etc. It sure could 'take a lickin' & keep on tickin' (shootin'). Glad you like our upland bird hunting.......wait until some of those Huns and Sharpies bust out in front of you......not quite as easy as nailin' those big ole Roosters (B-52s). See ya,

P.S...gotta go now....goin' check out some of those 'ole Cheer Leaders!!!!!Hee Hee

Old 10-14-2010, 09:10 AM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
I bagged one hun while out there! Flew by like a rocket!

Old 10-14-2010, 02:18 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
What are the origins of the two types of Menorah? Also what's the logic behind the Temple Menorah being forbidden public display? (There seems to be some practical application behind almost every Jewish law, even if it's not immediately obvious.)
Judaism 101: Signs and Symbols should answer many of your questions abut the 7-Branch Temple Menorah..

The 8-Branch Chanukah Menorah is related to the 7-Branch Temple Menorah:

In 199 B.C.E., the Greek Seleucid dynasty that ruled Syria took control of Israel from the Greek Ptolemies. It was under the Seleucids that anti-Jewish decrees were first issued against the practice of Judaism. Sabbath observance, the study of Torah, and male circumcisions, for example, were forbidden on pain of death. In addition, Greek gods and other symbols of Greek culture were put inside the Holy Temple, desecrating the center of Jewish ritual life in Jerusalem. To add insult to injury, the pagan Greeks also slaughtered pigs in the Temple.

Led by Judah Maccabee, the Maccabees (which in Hebrew, means Men Who are as Strong as Hammers), a force much smaller than the powerful Greek armies, led a guerrilla uprising that, after several years, triumphed in 165 B.C.E. On the 25th day of Kislev, the Maccabees reclaimed the Jewish Temple, which was, at that point, almost unrecognizable as a place of Jewish worship.

The Talmud (includes the Oral Torah, the codified explanation of how to obey the 613 Commandments given at Sinai and found in the Torah) says that when the Jewish army wanted to rededicate the Temple, they were unable to find enough specially prepared oil to light the 7-Branch Temple Menorah.

According to rabbinical myth, in one Temple chamber, the Maccabees found a single bottle of oil, which normally would have lasted only one night. However, by a miracle, the one bottle of oil lasted eight nights, until new kosher (ritually clean) oil, fit for Temple use, could be produced.

In commemoration, each year, beginning on the 25th day of Kislev, on Chanukah (= Rededication), the 8-branch Chanukah menorah is lit, increasing the number of candles lit each night, until on the eighth and last night, 8 candles are lit. In many American households, red, white and blue candles are set aside for use on the final night.

Quote:
Is there a record of why the Star of David was included in the Great Seal? Tho seems to me they were trying to include symbols for a variety of great historical dynasties that left a lasting heritage.
If there is, I'm unaware of it.

Old 10-14-2010, 02:24 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times
Quote:
I like to play with Escher-style impossible triangles. One day I found myself with this interesting variant on the 6-pointed star:
Contortion Engineering
(2nd image)
After viewing, I needed a few minutes to collect myself so that I could walk a straight line into the kitchen to make some pop corn!

Old 10-14-2010, 05:34 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
That's kind of what we're thinking, $2 for the first 1.50 the second and $1 thereafter.
Ya gotta figure in transportation, equipment, food cost and TAX at 10%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana