U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2009, 02:15 PM

7,540 posts, read 12,581,125 times

Advertisements

What with all the spring rain my place looked like Jurassic Weedpark. Then we had a plague of grasshoppers and they ate EVERYTHING (except the grass, what little there is of it) up to about 10 feet above the ground, including pine trees and other stuff they normally won't touch. Now they're eating each other! Good thing I never got around to planting a zucchini or tomatoes, there'd be nothing left.

Sucks when you gotta practically rebuild after a bad tenant... The key to getting good tenants seems to mainly be demanding a rather large security deposit... around here move-in normally costs two months of rent (first and last) plus a similar amount as a damage deposit. Also, furnished places (in non-college towns where it's expected) tend to attract losers who own nothing and won't care about your stuff either. Your renters may vary.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:34 PM

6,258 posts, read 12,896,636 times
Post I feel your pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
My tomato plants don't look as happy as they should but I've got 1 tomato already ! (the plant was started indoors.) My rental on the rez was just vacated by another set of BAD tenants and the lawn is chest high. We took a whole truck load of their garbage to the dump for them. I hate bad renters ! Even my redneck cousins would make better tenants than the last two !
I completely agree. I and my kiddos spent many a day scrubbing rentals. Did lots of dumpster duty At least they are out and you have the property back. Take care of yourself.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
What with all the spring rain my place looked like Jurassic Weedpark. Then we had a plague of grasshoppers and they ate EVERYTHING (except the grass, what little there is of it) up to about 10 feet above the ground, including pine trees and other stuff they normally won't touch. Now they're eating each other! Good thing I never got around to planting a zucchini or tomatoes, there'd be nothing left.

Sucks when you gotta practically rebuild after a bad tenant... The key to getting good tenants seems to mainly be demanding a rather large security deposit... around here move-in normally costs two months of rent (first and last) plus a similar amount as a damage deposit. Also, furnished places (in non-college towns where it's expected) tend to attract losers who own nothing and won't care about your stuff either. Your renters may vary.
Hard to believe they would eat pine. Man must be hard core grasshoppers, not your average fish bait! Does the rain bring them out or the extra growth? Yuck, I can only imagine the hopper juice.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
Hard to believe they would eat pine. Man must be hard core grasshoppers, not your average fish bait! Does the rain bring them out or the extra growth? Yuck, I can only imagine the hopper juice.
They also ate the rosemary, iceplant, and rabbitbrush, which even starving goats and jackrabbits won't touch. (Tho for some reason the coyotes eat the flowers off my yellow irises...???!! which the hoppers also ate down to the roots.)

I guess they must have come with the halfway-normal rains this year (first time we've had over an inch for the entire YEAR in about 10 years now) ... usually there are so few hoppers that if you catch and smush what you see, that's the end of the problem, and the tarantulas take care of the rest. I'd like to know where the heck the eggs were cached, cuz they sure couldn't have been from local production.

Didn't really want to poison them because the quail eat 'em and aren't fussy about whether it's dead or alive... but geez, this is ridiculous!!

Two years ago we got a ground squirrel invasion that was almost as bad -- lost all my young trees that year, cuz they ate the bark off 'em down to bare wood.

Contrary to popular perception, the desert seethes with life... AND IT'S ALL HUNGRY!!!!

Old 06-10-2009, 01:58 PM

6,023 posts, read 11,880,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Contrary to popular perception, the desert seethes with life... AND IT'S ALL HUNGRY!!!!
While camping in the Anza Borrego once I watched from my tent a fox and babies eating from a cook pot that still had some chili in it. She stood watch while the babies ate first. She never saw me peeking out the tent doorway just 4 feet away !

Old 06-10-2009, 05:17 PM

We see kit foxes here sometimes -- little bitty things about the size of a small cat. Very shy -- you were really lucky to see one close up like that!

Old 06-10-2009, 06:11 PM

6,023 posts, read 11,880,577 times
Kit fox ! If I remember correctly that's what someone said it was when I described it. I think it was sort of reddish with some white on it, it was about 25 years or more ago. I wouldn't have seen it but the rattling of the spoon in the pot woke me up.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:46 PM

The kit foxes I've seen here are more grey, but there are probably other varieties. Main thing is they're really small and timid. Coyotes eat 'em just like they do cats. The oil companies leave old pipes laying out in the desert to create boltholes for 'em (they can get into the pipes but coyotes can't).

When I lived on Nelson Road near the East Gallatin, there was a BIG red fox in the area (probably about 30 pounds), and it would show up in the middle of the night and sit in my yard going WOO-WOO to make the dogs crazy. If I came out and yelled at it, it would just stand there grinning, yarp some more, then saunter away in its own good time. One night I went WOO-WOO back at it... It shut up, stared at me like I'd lost my mind, then trotted off looking like "Geez, this place is losing it", and I never saw it again.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:01 PM

193 posts, read 407,465 times
Holy Crap Dorthy!! Grab ToTo and head for the barn. Tornados all around us here in MO. 10 warning in our area a few on the ground, tree on a car just south of us , high winds, hail.....

May the good Lord watch over everyone tonight.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Holy Crap Dorthy!! Grab ToTo and head for the barn. Tornados all around us here in MO. 10 warning in our area a few on the ground, tree on a car just south of us , high winds, hail.....

May the good Lord watch over everyone tonight.

We are with you broz.
Hang in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana