Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2009, 07:01 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,670,675 times

Advertisements

Here is a great site that you can set up with your specific lat/long
Heavens-Above Home Page

Amazing what you can see here with only a spotting scope or a good set of binoculars.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
First congrats on the vacation, well deserved it sounds like. So I won't ask for help with the last load moving..

Tell me a bit more about the Mars thing? That might be something we want to look into for a new hobbie since we will have such a much larger area to view now.
Also, don't believe that email going around about Mars being big as the moon....
Pretty sure we would split up in that event!

Old 08-10-2009, 07:20 AM

193 posts, read 463,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
Amazing what you can see here with only a spotting scope or a good set of binoculars.
Really? I have a Swarovski Spotter ATS 80 HD 20x60 power. Would that bring interesting things into view? I mean besides Elk and deer a mile away.. that is all I have used it for.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:23 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,059,923 times
My Canon PowerShot SX10IS is good for between 32 deg F to 104 deg F. I killed my last camera by leaving it in the rig overnight when it was below zero. It takes fine photos on it's automatic settings so I've just been taking snapshots so far and I plan on going up to the beginning of the Marias River today for some fishing and photos. I'm not sure if I'll catch fish but I will get some pictures. The spot where Cut Bank Creek and Two Medicine River join is the beginning of the Marias River.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:23 AM

All you need for good moon views over here.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:24 AM

Hi Rickers, looking forward to your shots.
Happy fishing!

Old 08-10-2009, 10:33 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,153,325 times
Quote:
Rickers is our resident photog extraordinaire! I too have to keep my camera inside my coat in the winter
Yeah, especially deep snow pics to scare ferriners with

Quote:
Hubs is with you 100% on the Norton, also AVG
AVG used to be fairly lightweight (tho never a particularly good antivirus) but from what I've heard, v7 will bring any middle-aged system to its knees.

Personally I recommend F-Prot, but Avast and Clam and AntiVir are good free alternatives that aren't too heavy on the system.

Quote:
I am actually on my first vacation time off in over five years so I will get on that photo shoot. Looks like great weather this week. I am up now because I wanted to get a look at Mars since we finally have no cloud cover. The night sky is the second best thing about Montana.
What's the first best? Nothing. Miles and miles of nothing!

The email going around about "Mars being closer than it ever will be, blah blah" is urban legend, refers to a closer than average passage from 2003. Fact is, we come up relatively "close" to Mars every couple years. Sure does make a difference in how well you can see it, tho. It's fun to look at common stars with binoculars -- some have a companion star that you can't see with the naked eye. And the huge swath of the Milky Way never fails to startle folks who've never been where it gets truly DARK!!

PS. What's a 'vacation'?? Where do I get one? How much are they??

Old 08-10-2009, 10:38 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,153,325 times
Quote:
Here is a great site that you can set up with your specific lat/long
Heavens-Above Home Page
Nifty site. Did I mention the Astronomy Picture of the Day site already? I can't remember what I wrote 5 minutes ago, let alone yesterday or last week

Quote:
Or even my ancient crappy binoculars with one side that doesn't focus right

Spotting scope is a good idea -- lot more portable than a telescope. Don't go trying to shoot the moon, tho

Old 08-10-2009, 06:02 PM

lol!

Old 08-10-2009, 10:06 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,059,923 times
Talking I Went, - I Saw, - I Skunked, ! - But I did get pics.

We drove to the headwaters of The Marias River and had the campsite to our selves. We spent a while picking up trash and beer cans left by some careless litterbug losers who used the site over the weekend. I then took a few pictures before tossing some spinners. I didn't expect to catch any fish but I still gave it a try. The pictures posted below and getting out of the house was worth the drive plus my dog loved getting muddy and my bird enjoyed being outside.

A missile silo site we passed on the way.

Looking downstream from the head of The Marias River. The Bridge is The Sullivan Bridge.

This is where The Marias River begins, where the milky Two Medicine River joins Cut Bank Creek with the clear water on this side of the river. It's a two-tone river for about a 1/4 mile before the two colors of water finally mix. The Two Medicine can be seen coming around the bend on the left and Cut Bank Creek can barely be seen coming in between the gravel bar and the bushes beyond. There are Grizzlies seen occasionally around here. The bluff in the background between Cut Bank Creek and The Two Medicine River is the eastern most point of the Blackfeet Indian Reservation.

This spot is loaded with poison ivy.

Last edited by Rickers; 08-10-2009 at 10:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana