Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2009, 08:16 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,623,293 times

Advertisements

The hot weather is causing the wheat to ripen fast.
Yes I had to learn what a "bin" was when I moved here, I called everything a silo. People would tell me "over by the elevator" and I would ride around looking for a tall building
We have tracks but they are not used anymore. A few more miles down the road and the ones that parallel the hi-line are there. Not much harvest yet here but plenty of hay being rolled and baled and hauled.
Here is a bin/elevator.

Attachment 46920

and no that is not my house in the foreground, Rickers has shirtail cousins over here ;-)

Last edited by Mt-7; 11-14-2009 at 07:07 PM..

Old 08-13-2009, 12:29 AM

8,083 posts, read 15,084,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
Here is a bin/elevator.
[Rez spends a while admiring the stark beauty of such functional technology]

Bunch of different types of elevators (and a few silos) from various eras:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grain_elevator
That oughta be enough to permanently confuse the townies

Quote:
and no that is not my house in the foreground, Rickers has shirtail cousins over here ;-)

Last edited by Reziac; 08-13-2009 at 12:34 AM.. Reason: bread was still risin'

Old 08-13-2009, 07:16 AM

I read this article a little while back and thought,
Now if I just had enough time and a husband who was handy....
Elevated Living - Country Woman Magazine=

No disrepect to hubs
He is very book smart.
I am more the handy gal

Old 08-13-2009, 09:21 AM

6,023 posts, read 13,996,664 times
In some areas you can buy underground missile silos and folks will convert them into homes.
I would hate to have to pay the heating bill for a converted elevator home but the views would be nice.
I know the way my knees have been lately I would need an elevator in my elevator. !

Old 08-13-2009, 10:43 AM

You know I thought the same thing about the heat bill. You would really have to live on the ground floor for about nine months of the year.
Most likely someone with more money than brains...

Old 08-13-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
You know I thought the same thing about the heat bill. You would really have to live on the ground floor for about nine months of the year.
Most likely someone with more money than brains...
Way cool... and I'd like to have that much money...

Old 08-14-2009, 12:50 PM

Well, enough with the troubles in the world
Vacation week means lots of baking!
Just popped out a couple of loaves of zuc bread,
butter anyone?
No matter where I live zucchini restores my green thumb

Old 08-14-2009, 02:16 PM

Last night I created a new entry for my kookbook, Why No One Eats At My House:

Quick Onion Matzah-Brei

3 eggs
half an onion, chopped
optional ingredients: peppers, ham, bacon, and/or cheese
Half a package of crackers, coarsely crushed
(matzohs are best but any soda cracker will work)
Mix ingredients, spread in 5x8 glass baking pan greased with mayonnaise or bacon grease, microwave on High for about 3 minutes. Serve hot with plenty of butter and lemon pepper.

It was actually very good... if you like matzah-brei, it's a nice variant. If you don't, you'll wonder why someone is eating soggy fried crackers.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:37 PM

would stale bread work as well?
My pop loved saltines, buttermilk and what ever was leftover from supper, peas, cornbread...
I still say saltines although most look at me in question!
No room for supper,
Hubs will have to do with the meatloaf from lunch. He is benefiting from me being home this week.

BTW the local store here carries matzah! That was a suprise for such a small town with under 1,000

Old 08-14-2009, 05:24 PM

Quote:
would stale bread work as well?
My pop loved saltines, buttermilk and what ever was leftover from supper, peas, cornbread...
I still say saltines although most look at me in question!
No room for supper,
Hubs will have to do with the meatloaf from lunch. He is benefiting from me being home this week.

BTW the local store here carries matzah! That was a suprise for such a small town with under 1,000
Oh yes, stale bread or toast works too, or melba toast. I haven't done that in years but mainly because I never have stale bread anymore -- I keep it in the freezer and thaw it in the microwave as needed -- so I always have FRESH bread! Stale bread or crackers in hot milk is mighty good, especially with a good dollop of butter on top. I like the Premium crackers with unsalted tops, they've got more barley flour in 'em and hold together better.

Sometimes I make "milk soup" -- milk thickened with a flour/butter roux, seasoned with salt and pepper, and sometimes with cheese melted into it. Really good for dipping toast. Makes a nice late-night winter snack.

Another good snack: soda crackers with cream cheese and lime pepper. Yummy!

Come to think of it, I haven't seen melba toast in the grocery in years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana