U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2009, 09:56 PM

6,258 posts, read 12,916,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
My neck of the woods is fine today but the shoulder, back and hip of the woods are killing me !
I just tore out the back wall of my garage to turn it into a drive through carport and I'm trashed from doing hard work of the kind I haven't done in years. I'm still on the wagon and not looking back.
So proud of you!
Keep going.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:58 PM

7,543 posts, read 12,606,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Those are the best kind of get togethers. Did the same last night. Neighbors were setting at their picnic table. So I wondered over. Before long, there was about 15 of us setting around. Everybody had leftovers in their fridge, a couple of us had meat thawed. Soon the Bar-b was lit and meat was frying.
They had a nifty contraption that looked like a giant wok with a propane burner under it. Fried up meat and tortillas real nice, and fast too. I'll have to take a better look at it next time I get over there.

My friend 'Scratch' tells a funny story about a "random residents and passersby block party" in his neighbourhood back during the hippie era. He'd just gotten back from 'Nam himself (sole survivor of his unit twice -- 1) got a boat shot out from under him, and 2) was thrown clear by whatever landed in their foxhole). Anyway one of the random residents worked at an ice cream parlor and got to take home all the mostly-empties, and that was going to be the basis of the party. Trouble is, by the time everyone in walking distance wandered in, it wasn't near enough. Scratch, upon noticing a big bag of instant potato flakes, had a spasm of creativity... he mixed the instant potatoes and some milk with the ice cream and froze the whole mess. The party-goers gobbled it up without noticing it was more instant potatoes than ice cream!!

BTW if you've eaten an omelet at a Navy officers mess any time since mid-'Nam, you ate one of Scratch's recipes. He makes omelets to die for... happened an admiral noticed his cooking back-when, and decided it needed enshrining for all posterity in the official Navy cookbook.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:00 PM

Perfection if the mosquitoes can stay away!
Harvest is in full swing, lots of combines on the road as I drive the Hi-line.
Yes grilling for all it is worth, these days will be short soon.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
They had a nifty contraption that looked like a giant wok with a propane burner under it. Fried up meat and tortillas real nice, and fast too. I'll have to take a better look at it next time I get over there.

My friend 'Scratch' tells a funny story about a "random residents and passersby block party" in his neighbourhood back during the hippie era. He'd just gotten back from 'Nam himself (sole survivor of his unit twice -- 1) got a boat shot out from under him, and 2) was thrown clear by whatever landed in their foxhole). Anyway one of the random residents worked at an ice cream parlor and got to take home all the mostly-empties, and that was going to be the basis of the party. Trouble is, by the time everyone in walking distance wandered in, it wasn't near enough. Scratch, upon noticing a big bag of instant potato flakes, had a spasm of creativity... he mixed the instant potatoes and some milk with the ice cream and froze the whole mess. The party-goers gobbled it up without noticing it was more instant potatoes than ice cream!!

BTW if you've eaten an omelet at a Navy officers mess any time since mid-'Nam, you ate one of Scratch's recipes. He makes omelets to die for... happened an admiral noticed his cooking back-when, and decided it needed enshrining for all posterity in the official Navy cookbook.
Are you recording all these stories? If not you better get to it. I think you have lots of interesting tales.
My pop created many types of cookers with propane burners, best way to cook up a mess of catfish! Most likely was a time bomb ready to take off. I love the videos of the not so brights cooking the turkeys and overloading the oil.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:57 PM

7,543 posts, read 12,606,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
Are you recording all these stories? If not you better get to it. I think you have lots of interesting tales.
My pop created many types of cookers with propane burners, best way to cook up a mess of catfish! Most likely was a time bomb ready to take off. I love the videos of the not so brights cooking the turkeys and overloading the oil.
I've told Scratch he needs to get these stories on tape (he's so dyslexic that writing anything down is a non-starter) -- he's lived a highly varied life, and collected enough of 'em to go on for hours -- and he's a wonderful natural storyteller. Would make a great book!

Ain't seen the exploding turkeys, sounds like fun

Old 09-17-2009, 03:16 PM

2,627 posts, read 4,953,885 times
Is it hot today along the Hi-Line?

Old 09-17-2009, 05:59 PM

6,023 posts, read 11,908,399 times
Freakin A Tweety it is, but not too hot. I'm almost wishing for a light freeze to get rid of these flies.
Side note; Goodbye to Mary Travers. She will be missed.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:28 PM

Behind the scenes at two remote border crossings - CNN.com

Interesting story on where our money is going

Old 09-17-2009, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantlover View Post
Is it hot today along the Hi-Line?
98 at 3PM
Light breeze makes it bearable, I understand a 30 degree drop is in the works God bless the man who invented air conditioner

Are you fellows still getting loads of rain?

Old 09-17-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Freakin A Tweety it is, but not too hot. I'm almost wishing for a light freeze to get rid of these flies.
Side note; Goodbye to Mary Travers. She will be missed.
You know I am not sure I knew her last name until her passing. They were a great group together, she will be missed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana