Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2010, 02:16 AM

4,023 posts, read 5,527,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdreamer View Post
Wurzig, you'd love Alaska! Where we used to live, bears and moose would walk right through town on any given day. The last time we were on our way up there, we had camped out in our truck alongside Destruction Bay in the Yukon. We woke early to get back on the road, and passed a young grizzly busy digging for something on the side of the road. We stopped to take pics and he didn't pay us any mind...he was too busy looking for breakfast to worry about us!
It sounds so exciting....... If we ever get up there, we'll do the cruise.....that'll be all I can get out of him.......LOL

I've been around a lot of bears in Mammoth, a few at Tahoe and also the Sequoias....up close and personal.......seems as if you just stay calm they don't mind and keep going on about their business.....but I wouldn't do that with a grizzly......too scary for me.....

I saw a video of a moose one time online......it kept attacking people trying to get into a grocery store.....it was right there by the electric doors.....I forgot where it was filmed......

Old 03-04-2010, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Every town has some forgotten history like that... My vet for many years was in Monrovia, on Duarte a block or so off Myrtle, so my truck knows the way without needing to consult the driver. Nice quiet neighbourhood. I never saw any film crews there myself, and never worked there back when I was doing bits and extras, but yeah, it could be "Anytown, USA".
You were in some movies?

Do you know the meaning of Azusa and how it got named?

Old 03-04-2010, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I think the grizz was just wandering through. This morning we found out that a dog was killed about 10 miles East of me. Bear tracks all around. But that means the bear is out in the prairie so it'll be spotted.
Sad about the dog.....

Am glad that you posted today, (yesterday, now)..... I keep thinking about that movie where the guy was really into bears, studied and filmed them, thought they were best pals and they finally got him....

Old 03-04-2010, 07:04 AM

519 posts, read 1,377,307 times
Did anybody watch any of the shows he did with the bears?? I remember watching one where he was freaking out about the salmon not having enough water to move let alone travel, he was trying to save them all and crying, he was nuts.....
I am an animal lover but gezzz he just went a little to far.
E.H. you are a brave sole. I'd be freaking that once I stepped out the door she'd be waiting for me...LOL I remember a movie where a grizzly stalked these two men after they were in a plane crash, good movie but scary.
Wurzig I think that a cruise would be all I would get out of my hubby to.
38 sunny all day, bring on spring.
Ready for flowers and playing outside more.

Last edited by Mt.SNOW; 03-04-2010 at 07:05 AM.. Reason: spelling correction

Old 03-04-2010, 07:32 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,159,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
You were in some movies?

Do you know the meaning of Azusa and how it got named?
A whole bunch, comprising approx. 30 seconds of total screen time I'm the unwitting bystander that Our Hero runs into at the carnival in Darkman. It was an accident (actor couldn't see where he was going) but they kept it. Lessee... I'm also the zombie gnawing on the car roof in The Midnight Hour. Can't think of any other particularly visible scenes offhand. Background actors are mostly just that -- meant to fill in the blanks and be otherwise ignorable.

As I recall, Azusa was "A to Z in the USA" tho I don't remember the logic, unless it was supposed to be another industry-and-business magnet like the "City of Industry" and the "City of Commerce".

Old 03-04-2010, 08:43 AM

271 posts, read 460,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
Hey SnowDreamer..................

I'm sure you know, a Grizzly that color is known as a "Tokolat" by the people native to the Yukon & Alaska. That one is most likely digging for a ground squirrel.
Back in 1996 my late wife and I spent the night in our Lance P.U. Camper about 50 yards off of the highway right there at Destruction Bay. And the next morning when we got back on the highway and continued northbound,......about 9 am a wolf ran across the highway right in front of our truck. I was able to grab the camera and got a picture (somewhat out of focus) of him about 25 yards away, standing in the brush. Beautiful country.
Hey Griz, no, I didn't know that! Thanks for sharing that fact...how interesting! I don't know what he was digging for, but he sure was focused. He looked up at us once, but went right back to digging. Quite a determined bear! A little further on, we were caught up in a "traffic jam" when a sow with twin cubs was attempting to cross the road. She looked like a school crossing guard- she'd lead them out, then stop and look over her shoulder at the cars, then prod them along...this went on until she finally got them to safety. Another time, a young male was on the side of the road and some idiot was trying to get close pics of him. I don't know how long that guy had been parked, out of his vehicle and trying to get pics, but the bear was clearly distressed. He kept gnashing his teeth and pacing- clearly harrassed. I'm surprised he never charged that jerk.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:48 AM

271 posts, read 460,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt.SNOW View Post
Did anybody watch any of the shows he did with the bears?? I remember watching one where he was freaking out about the salmon not having enough water to move let alone travel, he was trying to save them all and crying, he was nuts.....
I am an animal lover but gezzz he just went a little to far.
E.H. you are a brave sole. I'd be freaking that once I stepped out the door she'd be waiting for me...LOL I remember a movie where a grizzly stalked these two men after they were in a plane crash, good movie but scary.
Wurzig I think that a cruise would be all I would get out of my hubby to.
38 sunny all day, bring on spring.
Ready for flowers and playing outside more.
Amy, yes! I remember that guy, Timothy Treadwell or something like that. I remember that movie too, I think it was The Edge. It had Anthony Hopkins and one of the Baldwin brothers in it. Sheesh- I need to spend more time outdoors...lol.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
A whole bunch, comprising approx. 30 seconds of total screen time I'm the unwitting bystander that Our Hero runs into at the carnival in Darkman. It was an accident (actor couldn't see where he was going) but they kept it. Lessee... I'm also the zombie gnawing on the car roof in The Midnight Hour. Can't think of any other particularly visible scenes offhand. Background actors are mostly just that -- meant to fill in the blanks and be otherwise ignorable.

As I recall, Azusa was "A to Z in the USA" tho I don't remember the logic, unless it was supposed to be another industry-and-business magnet like the "City of Industry" and the "City of Commerce".
Did you get paid for being an extra? Was it fun or did you have to stand around all day? How did you get into that? Answer an ad in Variety?

Yep, they had a contest......everything from A to Z in the USA! That has always made me laugh.......the rest of life should be so simple.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdreamer View Post
Hey Griz, no, I didn't know that! Thanks for sharing that fact...how interesting! I don't know what he was digging for, but he sure was focused. He looked up at us once, but went right back to digging. Quite a determined bear! A little further on, we were caught up in a "traffic jam" when a sow with twin cubs was attempting to cross the road. She looked like a school crossing guard- she'd lead them out, then stop and look over her shoulder at the cars, then prod them along...this went on until she finally got them to safety. Another time, a young male was on the side of the road and some idiot was trying to get close pics of him. I don't know how long that guy had been parked, out of his vehicle and trying to get pics, but the bear was clearly distressed. He kept gnashing his teeth and pacing- clearly harrassed. I'm surprised he never charged that jerk.
Grubs? Termites? I think they eat those, right?

Old 03-04-2010, 11:53 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
Sad about the dog.....

Am glad that you posted today, (yesterday, now)..... I keep thinking about that movie where the guy was really into bears, studied and filmed them, thought they were best pals and they finally got him....

I remember seeing that. No, I'm a bit more respectful of wildlife then that. They need their space. It's nice to see them and have them around, but they don't need to be pets.

I just went out on my 4 wheeler and took the new puppy for a ride. She really likes riding. We went down river about 10 miles. Saw a beautiful Eagle. I'd guess the wingspan was about 7 ft. Couldn't get the camera out quick enough. I've seen a lot of eagles along the river but none that got this close. This one was right by my cabin. Down about 3 miles from me is a couple of nests and you always see them around there.

Ice has busted in the river so it's about fishing time. Went out the other day and didn't catch anything, but ice was over my favorite spot. Temps have been in the upper 50's. Can't believe it. March????? 50's?????

Was up on the mountains in September and run across a black bear. He was just lumbering along. My horse didn't like it at all. Matter of fact, the horse acting up is what told me there was one around. Give them lots of room. They're ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana