Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2010, 12:32 PM

4,023 posts, read 5,525,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberius View Post
Wurzig... CONGRATULATIONS !!!! .. Not only from all those adoptive moms and dads.. but also one VERY proud and excited adoptive uncle.. I"m sure she is going to love it there, AND get an excellent education.. I forsee, somewhere down the road, picking up a novel from a bookstore shelf, seeing your daughters face on the back, and reading in the short bio that the author lives in Montana..... and smiling.

uncle tiberius
LOL, too cute! She wrote quite a few when she was younger and had more time.......and each one became more complicated with subplots within the plots..... At UM, I think she is going to go for the History major because only 1 year of a foreign language is required with that major.....with English, they require 2. She spoke German when she was little......my husband lived in Germany when he was in the army and became fluent but he has forgotten some of it. She had a private German tutor when she was little, but with piano, swimming, math tutors, horse back riding, learning to sail, on and on, she just had to give up some stuff. Her high school did not offer German, so she suffered through 2 years of Spanish, which is easier, but she absolutely hated it...... It remains to be seen which language she will take..

My husband's all excited and ordered three UM t-shirts already.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberius View Post
One other thing.. Last summer we were sittin on MT-7's porch and I thought I saw the biggest darn snake I'd EVER seen slitherin by out in the tall grass.. I didn't say nothin cause I figured it was just a side effect of drinkin Ranier instead of my usual Olympia.... (you know, kinda a shock to my body).. or maybe it was that purple stew Reziac brought over.. Anyway, I just found out what it was that I saw.. Just told the folks over at the "...snakes in Montana" thread.. Thought I oughta tell you, too.

Seems last summer the boys over at MSU ( havin a little too much time on their hands ) came up with the idea of genetically engineering a python to eat up Montana snakes.. They figured it would clear up the Montana snake problem, and maybe win them some kinda award too.. ( not sure what THEY were drinkin at the time, but would love to get my hands on some ).. Well, the experiment worked out pretty good.. TOO good, actually.. They released the snake last summer and it more than earned its keep.. It ate up ALL the Montana snakes... plus a few head of cattle, a rusty 1973 datsun 240Z, and the last known pair of albino wolves, who just happened to be at the top of the endangered species list.. Well, them boys at MSU kinda panic'd.. So, to avoid the snake gettin arrested, and their genetic experimentin gettin found out, they flew that snake half way around the world and had it air dropped into the most remote part of Indonesia.. Seems, though, that some local natives saw it floatin down out of the sky and figured it was some sort of god coming down to bring them good fortune.. So they captured it and caged it up and started worshiping it.. Like I told the boys over at the snake thread..... some days it just don't pay to get outa bed.. Well, apparently some OTHER scientists found out about this huge old snake being worshipped in that little village, and went and got it from them and put it in a small zoo over there so they could study it.. That's where things stand at the moment.. ( if anyone ever notices that "go bobcats" tattoo on the snake, there could still be trouble for MSU ).. Here's a short vid of the snake at that little zoo they're keepin him at.. 49-foot python captured in Indonesia - World news- msnbc.com

tiberius
It just so happened that I read that snake thread yesterday......I plan on adding that to my warnings in case she ever goes for a hike. She is not real 'outdoorsey', but I think that might change soon...

Old 04-01-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
OK,
This dang thing finally let me load some pictures.
[ATTACH]6050[ATTACH]

This is a view of the upper end of the valley above the cabin. If you look REALLY close, there are some elk along the shadow line on the far mountain.

Attachment 60502

This should be a view of Pappy's Dream.

Attachment 60501
Finally, one of my favorite movies is "The 13th Warrior". There is a line in it that the actors speak during the final battle which in part goes, "Lo there do I see My Brother and My Father, there do I see the line of my people stretching back to the beginning"....

My Nephew, Brother and Father in the near the little creek that runs past the cabin.

Thank you for all the kind comments. My family is of Scottish decent, even though we have been on this side of the pond since before the Revolution, but some traditions die hard, and we are very clannish.
I do realize how lucky I am to have such a close family, and to be able to spend as much time with them as I do.
It was difficult to spend so much time overseas in the Military, but I was over there for their sake just as every other warrior throughout time.
We go to protect the things we hold most dear, and in my case it was my Family, My friends, and My country.
I am sure that while it may not have been the first factor when we signed on the dotted line, but the time spent in service really brings home what is really important.

Congratulations to Wurzig, I am sure your daughter will enjoy her time in Montana.
Threerun, we may have to exchange some BBQ recipes when you get here!!
Thank you, Veteran!

Old 04-01-2010, 12:53 PM

Thanks for sharing all the info about the tours, jimj. I'd love to take them! Boy, writing about bottles and those 6-pack cartons is making me remember so much from my youth.

Certain coins don't have marks either. It was interesting to learn about the asterisks. I've seen many over the years.

My very close friend's son has Aspberger's (not sure if I spelled that correctly)...he is like a little Einstein walking around...has tested off the charts since he was 3...he wouldn't finish the tests because he became bored and knew what the adults were trying to figure out.....at first, the adults thought he was not intelligent at all...he was smarter than they were! I hope that you can get your son into a good school that will suit his purposes.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:51 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,059,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
Thanks for sharing all the info about the tours, jimj. I'd love to take them! Boy, writing about bottles and those 6-pack cartons is making me remember so much from my youth.
One thought seems to lead to another, now I'm remembering those little wax bottles with the colored flavored sugar water in them and the strips of paper with the candy dots.
We used to gobble all that trash when we were kids while racing our slot cars at the local slot car track.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
One thought seems to lead to another, now I'm remembering those little wax bottles with the colored flavored sugar water in them and the strips of paper with the candy dots.
We used to gobble all that trash when we were kids while racing our slot cars at the local slot car track.
We drank the 'juice' and then chewed on the wax for hours when we were at the show...we thought it was fun to make various teeth marks in it and spit it out to show one another....those little bottles cost 5 cents.....I think there were 6 or 8 of them in the little pack. I think it cost us 50 cents to get into the show when we were kids.......

I didn't buy the dots.......I did buy the red solid licorice that was a yard long.....I loved that stuff!

Last weekend we were rushing out the door to get to the show.......I forgot to grab the discount tickets that we buy at Costco......(2 @ $14.95 or something like that)....when we got up to the window it was $12.00 EACH! I told him, NEVER AGAIN! And to top it off, I thought the movie was crummy!

Old 04-01-2010, 10:26 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,670,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Yep, I remember these and candy cigarettes!

Old 04-02-2010, 06:05 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt-7 View Post
Yep, I remember these and candy cigarettes!
We've seen alot of this type of stuff in our travels, usually at the touristy stores. It was funny, we went into this store last week (casey jones' general store and restaraunt) and they had all of the items y'all have mentioned. My son saw the candy ciggs and commented on 'em, I told him they'd been pretty much banned because they "teach" kids to smoke... Gee, I wonder if thats how I started? Hmmmmm, maybe a lawsuit against the candy company for MY addiction?
BTW, if y'all get anywhere near Kentucky you've got to eat at Casey Jones! Some of the best southern comfort (no not the booze Rickers, settle down) food I've had in years!!!!!

Old 04-02-2010, 09:44 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,153,325 times
Haha, and the little wax bottles turned us all into alkies too!

Old 04-02-2010, 04:18 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,670,675 times
Good one Rez!
Is Casey Jones like a Cracker Barrel?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana