Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2010, 09:16 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,670,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Yes, you're right.

Blintzes evolved from the early formation of the society of Persia.

During the year of the great famine, when the peasant and the aristocrat sought means to make life more pleasant, the Persian housewife discovered the life-giving qualities of the pancake. To extend her meager resources to the limit, she made the pancakes wafer thin.

Instinctively, she recognized the necessity of varying the diet of pancakes. Using typical feminine ingenuity, some of the more prosperous homemakers managed to obtain a cheese which was placed in the center of the delicately thin pancake. The edges were then folded over the cheese and rolled, giving the world its first blintz.

As civilized man moved westward, his favorite dish of blintzes also moved to the west. Each group of people added their personal refinements. The French feasted on servings of blintzes and served them with traditional wines. But in France you would call the world renowned blintz ... a crepe suzette; in Armenia, boerike; Italy, manicotti; Russia, blintchiki. Virtually every culture has a similar, popular, item.

Traditionally, blintzes are topped with sour cream or jam. Typically, blintzes are served as a main dish, but consumption has expanded to anytime of day: snack, breakfast, lunch.
You are ruining my attempts at staying on a balanced diet.
In Paris they make them at least two feet round then dump chocolate in them, heaven! They use no more that a tablespoon or more of batter and have this T shaped utensil that they spread it out with then flip it. How they do it I have no idea, lots of practice.
Yes by the way where is Peek and Rickers?

Old 08-30-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflower72 View Post
thanks for the welcome i'm real good at having a conversation go in 12 different directions, just ask my DH. lol
speaking of jam, i gotta make a batch of seedless raspberry/blackberry jam with berries from my mom's garden. gonna be hot in the kitchen!
this talk of blintzes makes me think of cannolis... (drool)
I learned of cannolis where else? the Goodfather/Goodfellows movies. Also a little Tony Soprano, forgetaboutit....
I cheat and make freezer jam now days. When I had little ones they loved that entire other process. Nothing better in the winter than cracking open a jar and making toast. Glad you have joined our merry band of friends. We come here to rest after various journeys into the other forums. EH is our moderator extraordinaire. A man for all seasons. We are lucky to have him. Rickers gives us photos and fishing updates. Rez is a Montanian being held captive in another state. Slivertip gives sage advice. Timberwolf always has something to add. Walter makes sure we are up on information.
And then there is Tiberius, you will have to make your own judgment. I am sure he is harmless...
Anyway I came here from Oregon about five years ago and I came to CD originally to find out more about the area. I started this thread as a friendly, neighborly way to get to know others. Montana is a huge state with lots of different climates, and philosophy. Visit more than once and in different seasons if you can. The sussessfull transplants are here because they WANT to be here. Don't move here and then complain...Hope I did not sound harsh.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:53 AM

23 posts, read 34,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt-7 View Post
I learned of cannolis where else? the Goodfather/Goodfellows movies. Also a little Tony Soprano, forgetaboutit....
I cheat and make freezer jam now days. When I had little ones they loved that entire other process. Nothing better in the winter than cracking open a jar and making toast. Glad you have joined our merry band of friends. We come here to rest after various journeys into the other forums. EH is our moderator extraordinaire. A man for all seasons. We are lucky to have him. Rickers gives us photos and fishing updates. Rez is a Montanian being held captive in another state. Slivertip gives sage advice. Timberwolf always has something to add. Walter makes sure we are up on information.
And then there is Tiberius, you will have to make your own judgment. I am sure he is harmless...
Anyway I came here from Oregon about five years ago and I came to CD originally to find out more about the area. I started this thread as a friendly, neighborly way to get to know others. Montana is a huge state with lots of different climates, and philosophy. Visit more than once and in different seasons if you can. The sussessfull transplants are here because they WANT to be here. Don't move here and then complain...Hope I did not sound harsh.
not at all - i have been all over MT ID & WY, about 5 trips i think? granted only in the summer, but i love winter, as long as i don't have to do all the shoveling myself. last winter you woulda heard me griping a lot, lol.
i have 3 boys, ages 3, 6, 10. as i said before, my DH is over in afghanistan making a dent in the taliban population. i do all kinds of stuff to pass the time - knit, sew, make stuff outta junk for the house (my style leans towards the eclectic & rustic), a little gardening, spend time at the stables down the street from my place. take the boys fishing every chance i get. and cooking & baking. and of course research stuff for our montana dream house. happy to be here with a nice bunch of folks. you all can keep me tied to MT while i have to endure Philthadelphia for the present.
the jam is cooling, hope we get 100% seal! good berries this year - hot and decent rain. i would do freezer, but not a lot of room in there.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:19 PM

299 posts, read 566,053 times
Why thank you, MT-7...... Like I said before .. You always manage to find something good in everyone...... Uh .. do you think I could maybe get that ..... in writing?.. Nothing long.. Just a short positive statement .. with maybe a few co-signers.. ( possible a pastor )

But in support of your assessment .. my actions ARE generally motivated by the best of intentions.

tiberius

Last edited by tiberius; 08-30-2010 at 12:35 PM.. Reason: misspelled word

Old 08-30-2010, 12:33 PM

299 posts, read 566,053 times
Default If only there was a place with lots of ideas for home projects ........

Wildflower72's home projects approach to keeping in touch with the west made me think of a website I found.. It might be a good one for many of the porch crew.. It has a ton of ideas.. They even have a magazine to which you can subscribe.. Its worth a look..

I'm not sure if I stumbled on the site on my own .. or if I got it from someone elses post, which wouldn't surprise me.. But here it is:

Sunset - How To Live In The West

tiberius

Old 08-30-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberius View Post
Why thank you, MT-7...... Like I said before .. You always manage to find something good in everyone...... Uh .. do you think I could maybe get that ..... in writing?.. Nothing long.. Just a short positive statement .. with maybe a few co-signers.. ( possible a pastor )

But in support of your assessment .. my actions ARE generally motivated by the best of intentions.

tiberius
I find you often the most interesting person I meet everyday..
I still think you might be James T Kirk
A girl can dream yes?

Old 08-30-2010, 01:03 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,153,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflower72 View Post
thanks for the welcome i'm real good at having a conversation go in 12 different directions, just ask my DH. lol
speaking of jam, i gotta make a batch of seedless raspberry/blackberry jam with berries from my mom's garden. gonna be hot in the kitchen!
this talk of blintzes makes me think of cannolis... (drool)
How the heck do you make seedless raspberry jam? And what's this "freezer jam" thing?

And only 12 directions? I was SURE there were at least a dozen more directions here somewhere... Tiberius, haul out that map. I think we're lost!

Old 08-30-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberius View Post
Wildflower72's home projects approach to keeping in touch with the west made me think of a website I found.. It might be a good one for many of the porch crew.. It has a ton of ideas.. They even have a magazine to which you can subscribe.. Its worth a look..

I'm not sure if I stumbled on the site on my own .. or if I got it from someone elses post, which wouldn't surprise me.. But here it is:

Sunset - How To Live In The West

tiberius
Shoot, the problem with the porch is you cannot rep your fellow visitors enough.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
How the heck do you make seedless raspberry jam? And what's this "freezer jam" thing?

And only 12 directions? I was SURE there were at least a dozen more directions here somewhere... Tiberius, haul out that map. I think we're lost!
I bow to the gourmet...
Pretty much you bypass the cooking and just slop it into freezer containers. No worries here about loosing power, heck just leave it outside.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:09 PM

23 posts, read 34,962 times
nifty! i will have to give this site a good look thru.
one of my current favorites is Organic Gardening, Modern Homesteading, Renewable Energy, Green Homes, Do it Yourself Projects lots of DIY stuff for free/cheap using found items...

here is my latest installation in my dining room. needed a place to hang our hats. the ledge is an old doorway top - i added small screw hooks to hang hats. then above that are some postcards from my recent trip that are moounted on scrapbook paper (crackle paint look) and in frameless frames. the big picture beneath is an old favorite - i trash picked the frame and then found this pretty fall print to go with.
Attached Thumbnails
Let's visit.....-dining-room-wall.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana