Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2010, 12:09 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,153,325 times

Advertisements

That's a pretty decent job for an 8th grader.

Yeah, it would be fun to get together and act out some of the silly "screenplays" we've concocted here on the Porch -- probably even YouTube would censor it if we let the cousins on camera, tho!

Do you still have the garage-band recording? If you have the rights to it, you might want to digitize it and put it up on one of the filesharing or free-download sites, just so it's not lost to the world. Even music that went nowhere can make someone's ears happy, ya never know.

Jonathan Coulton tried that with his free stuff and it turned into a fulltime career!
(My personal favourite: Jonathan Coulton Skullcrusher Mountain )

Old 09-16-2010, 01:47 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
On a cold day sell hot items, (Good coffee, tea and burritos etc). If at an out-door show in hot sun be selling anything cold or cooling like the obvious beverages, ice cream etc but don't overlook cooling food items like Cambodian salad and cold sandwiches not commonly found at fair food booths.
Real BBQ is great and in demand but what an expensive hassle to do it right.
I would suggest Mexican or Tex Mex/Cal/Mex etc as it is so easy and less costly. Everyone wants good Mexican style food and the profit margin is higher in my estimation compared to other food items typically sold from a "food vending" truck or trailer.
Non profit groups such as charitable organizations often get to fudge the heath departments rules to some degree so if you have trouble getting approval for an item with the facilities you have then you may be able to donate a bit of proceeds and get a variance for the problem issue.
It sounds like your rig will meet most regulatory requirements unless you plan on butchering wild rabbits to go Benny Ha Ha style or seagull kabobs with a "cook it yourself" fire ring in front of the rig !!!
Wellll, we're in AZ so pretty much every day is out in the hot sun... As for Tex Mex/CA Mex, again being in AZ you can't swing a dead possum without hitting either a mexican food truck/store or an asian joint.
As for BBQ, we're bbq judges and attend comps regularly and know several people who own restaraunts (take a gander at azbarbeque dot com to see what I mean. We're actually judging a taco comp next month and I'm going to taco judges class tonight to get certified (don't ask, I've no idea how yet) as a judge.
Thankfully frozen stuff is not as common from what I can tell (unlike kettle corn for which the possum rule applies) but we're headed to the Navajo county fair tomorrow to check out the competition since there's supposed to be a couple freezer rigs out there.

Old 09-16-2010, 04:44 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,059,923 times
Hey ya all, we're just sitting around the trailer watching another odd indie film and my wife says to me "Hey Rick look at the deer in the front yard". I said back to her "Hey Katie, check it out, our favorite Osprey is back on its sitting branch and now I see a Pileated woodpecker !
(Have Camera ~ Will Travel)

Here ya go.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_9a8nDInPVGE/TJKYn5p7biI/AAAAAAAAEE0/99bbr9-VR5E/s512/IMG_1272.JPG (broken link)

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_9a8nDInPVGE/TJKXt37T4oI/AAAAAAAAEEk/gzHRe4egSlI/s512/IMG_1271.JPG (broken link)

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_9a8nDInPVGE/TJKV18Ds-LI/AAAAAAAAEEM/iXpGRATgFF0/s400/IMG_1267.JPG (broken link)

Old 09-16-2010, 05:14 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,059,923 times
Oh, sorry about the poor quality of the woodpecker shot. I took it at 80X zoom without a tripod through a very dirty window.
Another pic just for chits and giggles. Well for the giggles but I reckon we'll pass on the chits ! ( Esp if you're in a boat without TP ! )

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_9a8nDInPVGE/TGoErcPW9OI/AAAAAAAADTc/SDqDCGqGl1M/s576/IMG_0950.JPG (broken link)

Old 09-16-2010, 10:00 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,670,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Geese mostly eat grass, so they just run and honk around snakes. They don't really thrive in super dry areas anyway.

My sister has Guineas, not the prettiest bird on the planet They are good watchdogs, but that constant cackle would drive me nuts after a while.
To each their own

Mt7, I am bowhunting this year, going out this weekend in fact. It has been so wet and muddy I couldn't get into my area. There were some elk there just before Labor Day, but there are a lot of wolves, cougar and grizzly in that area so the elk were REALLY spooky.

One of my co-workers told me yesterday a friend of hers went for a walk and took his bow as a last minute thought. Took a nice 6 point bull!

Bowhunting is 90% sweat, 10% skill and 100% luck!!

You get into some crazy situations doing that though. A friend of mine and a Mule Deer circled each other around a bush for 15 minutes one day. The deer couldn't figure out what he was in full camo, and he couldn't get a shot, so they just kept walking around that bush at less than 15 feet. LOL!!
It is an exasperating sport sometimes
I have huge respect for bow hunters, so much stealth and patience. You really earn your animal. I have been working with a bow-hunter quite alot and I have been learning more about it. Point one is you had better be in shape.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:20 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt-7 View Post
I have huge respect for bow hunters, so much stealth and patience. You really earn your animal. I have been working with a bow-hunter quite alot and I have been learning more about it. Point one is you had better be in shape.
I have a friend who is a Lion Hunter. Several ranches contract him go take care of lions and bobcats. When hunting season comes around, everybody hires him to pack for them. Specially bow hunters to invariably get into some really nasty areas and then realize the elk they just shot has to be packed out. So they call him.

He loads up his horses and heads out. The other day, he went in to get an elk for a guy. From the truck, it was 300 yards to the Elk. Riding a good Morgan and leading another Morgan (either horse is ridable or packable) it took him 3 hours to get to the Elk. He quartered the Elk and brought it out in ONE trip and it was another 3 hours. He said, "I had to lock in the hubs".

You gotta respect the stealth abilities of bow hunters. Specially when they are going after Elk or Moose.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Oh, sorry about the poor quality of the woodpecker shot. I took it at 80X zoom without a tripod through a very dirty window.
That makes it a pixelated woodpecker

Old 09-17-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
You gotta respect the stealth abilities of bow hunters. Specially when they are going after Elk or Moose.
However, their ability to drop game in convenient range of a road clearly needs work.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:46 AM

An article for our bulboheads:
Fall is for Bulb Planting | Horticulture and Home Pest News

Old 09-17-2010, 11:14 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt-7 View Post
I agree, stealth and patience, but don't forget practice.
I actually think that rifle hunters need to be in better physical shape, but bowhunters need more mental fortitude.

Bowhunting is like playing chess, you have to think through your moves several steps in advance by knowing your animal, it's habits and characteristicts, you pattern, know the trails and waterholes they use, and work the angles to set up an ambush. You move slow, but think fast.

There are more aggressive ways to bowhunt, like I did in my youth. One time I had set up a blind and after the sun had come up with no animals coming by, I could hear them moving in the timber to the east of my position. I bugled to confirm that they were actually elk, and got a bugle in response.
I started moving in to intercept the herd, and was well out of position when a small 5 point satallite bull came busting out of a hidden draw.
He came within 10 feet of me and stopped to look at the exact spot I had called from.
The only cover I had was a small tree about 6 feet tall, and it was between us, but didn't offer enough cover for me to draw my bow. So I stood stock still on one side, with the bull on the other so close it felt like I could reach out my bow and touch him.
I hoped he would step forward just a couple steps so I could get a shot, so I just froze, waited and hoped while trying not to breathe.

We just stood there eyeball to eyeball for about a minute before he spun and took off back down the draw he had come from. Talk about a rush!!!

Bowhunting isn't the most efficient way to hunt, but it is definately the most spiritual as you take on the animal on their turf, and on their terms.

Not a sport for everyone, but what a thrill when all your work comes together with the fates, and you have that magnificent animal come to you.

I have hunted with a bow for over 30 years now. I still use my recurve, and while I may not always bring home meat, I always have a great time and that is what it is all about
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana