Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2010, 09:47 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
.....Sorry Folks That Grizzly was killed as follows:

Hit by a one ton Dodge Pick Up, October 17, 2007, on Hwy 200 outside of Lincoln, Montana. Pictures were taken by Dennis Smrdel, who lives within a half mile of the place where it was killed. Bear weighed 830 pounds; was 12 years old and had been radio collared in 1998 and had a lip tattoo. If you want to see the bear.....it is a life size mount on display at the Forest Service Hdq'ts in Lincoln. It was not hit by a motorcycle and was not killed on Lolo Pass. These facts and the same exact photos were published in the media (NewWest Publishing out of Missoula, MT., on 11/07/2007 ) Sorry to "kill" the myth that made for 'fun-reading'.
Me and the family went over to Lincoln a few weeks back and saw that bear at the Forest Service HQ in Lincoln. Pretty impressive dude.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:23 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Was invited to supper (they called it Dinner) at a neighbors home. They moved here from CA, but they are neighbors now.

Supper was going to be served on their deck. They had trail mix for an appitizer, some little weiners wrapped in bacon. cheese blocks, crackers, etc...

Jack says, "Have some trail mix". So I reached over to grab some and before I could grab a handful, July says, "Please use the spoon next to the bowl and put some in a napkin. We don't want to spread germs." Not a problem. Thinking of how many times I've sat around a camp fire with a dozen guys and the trail mix bag was handed from person to person, every one of them had deer, elk, or antelope blood on their hands. Didn't die from that.

So then she brings soup out and puts these little spoons (that won't hold a half a teaspoon) and the spoons were shaped funny. Thought about just picking up the bowl and slurping it down, but I didn't.

Next come out a VERY small salad. There was a half of a radish and 3 little leaves of lettice. There was cheese on it to but it was that store bought shreaded stuff. I counted 12 pieces of cheese on my salad. When I picked up a fork (we had 3 of them), July says "Umm, that's the wrong fork". This time I spoke up and said, "What, this one won't work? July says "You"re funny." So I picked the the with tangs that wouldn't stab a thing and ate my salad.

Next come out the steak and a potaoe. Well, the steak was about 2x3 inches and a half inch thick. The potaoe was only 1/2 of a potatoe and it was one of thoes little red potatoes. Took about 2 minutes to eat what was on the plate. Oh, no butter, no salt and pepper, no spices of any sort on the table.

Then a little cup, (something like you see in a chinese restaurant to put some sauce in, only smaller) of a yogurt/ice cream/pudding stuff.

Conversation was all about where they came from. Every time I tried to change it I'd get stopped. For instance, I asked them if they've been up and seen The Battle of the Little Bighorn grounds. His reply was "No, it's not worth going up there, we seen something like it back home."

Needless to say, conversation was short. I told them I had to go check my blood pressure, and I thanked them for inviting me for "Dinner". As I left, I grabbed my walker and started away. I stopped and scratched my ass and continued on. Got another 10 feet and I stopped, reached up and pushed one nostril shut, leaned over a bit and blew snot on the street. Then went home.

I don't think I'll be invited to eat there again. And I can safely say, they won't be eating at my cabin. Unless theres a snowstorm and they loose power. I'll go get them so they don't freeze to death.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:04 AM

Ha-ha!

Dinner parties where 'we' come from require two heavy duty chinet paper plates, a box of handi-wipes and big appetite.

Any germs that may have been shared are usually held in check when a mason jar filled with 'mountain elixer' is passed around, lol.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:10 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
ElkHunter, you're exaggerating, right?

Old 10-04-2010, 08:31 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,153,325 times
Exaggerating? Not by much... my sister is a partner in a big architectural firm in San Francisco, and that means she gets to "entertain" clients pretty much however the client wishes. One wanted to go to this new fancy restaurant. The lowest priced anything on the menu was $14, for a salad. My sister grimaced and ordered said salad. It consisted of 3 little leaves of something green, half a dozen slices of decorative other-stuff, and that was IT, ALL of it. Real purty, but not even 3 mouthfuls. The entrees started in the $40 range and were similar to the meal Elk described. But hey, it's THE trendy place to eat for all the successful yuppies, so despite this blatant ripoff the place was packed!

I'd bet Elk's new neighbours are from the Bay area... nowhere else even in California is that ... fantastical (as in "fantasy", meaning something that doesn't exist in any current reality).

Old 10-04-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Dinner parties where 'we' come from require two heavy duty chinet paper plates, a box of handi-wipes and big appetite.
What's with the silly plates and napkins? Just pull a chunk off them ribs, suck 'em clean, and lick yer fingers afterward.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:47 AM

Unless you want to carry a pile of homemade potato salad or 5 baked bean casserole in your open palms, I think the double-up plates are a necessity, lol.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:57 AM

Nah, just hand everyone a spoon and let 'em dig in.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:26 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
ElkHunter, you're exaggerating, right?
Unfortunately, I am not.

One thing I would have liked to do, but couldn't do to the cuisine. I'd like to have farted real loud before I stopped and scratched my ass.

Rez, I'm not sure if they were from the Bay area or not. They mentioned the town (escapes me now) but even though I lived in San Diego for 18+ years while in the Navy, I'd never heard of the town they mentioned.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:51 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,670,675 times
EH, next time bring some "cousins"

Well I would give anything if you drop off some roadkill to that fancy gal and give her a quick lesson in the finer points of the pig roast you had..LOL, that is the funniest thing I have read in a long time.
Sure ruined it for any of us non natives.
I met my EM neighbors with my front full of deer blood as hubs and I were hanging his first one when we moved over here. I am sure I was quite a site.
They brought me strawberry jam the next day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana