Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 03:43 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,675,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post
Thanks 7of9... You've been very helpful.

Would the area around Billings be considered central or...?
I hear it referred to as central.
South Central Montana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

North Central Montana Cities and Highways Map

The Divide/the Rockies divide the state and cause different weather systems. Where I am is just continuous prairie. Have a look at my Eastern Montana album. For perspective I am much closer to North Dakota than to Billings. You are welcomed, I have had a rare luxury of a little holiday so I have had some slumming time here on C-D. It has been fun learning about your operation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Speaking of critter pictures, here are some captured by the MDT, apparently taken by a webcam in a wildlife undercrossing on U.S. Highway 93:

ftp://ftp.mdt.mt.gov/download/us93n-wildlife-crossing/ (broken link)

The pics are fairly large so you may have to resize or scroll 'em to see the critters:

bobcat, cougar, bear, wolf, deer, and otters!
Very cool! I was suprised to see the two lions together. Glad I was not there! The otters were a real treat as was the wolf and bobcat. Thanks for sharing. I think I will keep this site.

Old 04-12-2009, 04:58 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,146,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
I was suprised to see the two lions together.
When I read "lion" I have that mental pause... and then mentally add, "Oh, yes, mountain." It's not I'm totally dim, it's that I've lived in Africa.

We had a visitor a couple of months back.... As much as we were not thrilled to see him around, we did have to admire his table manners.
Attached Thumbnails
Horse keeping in Montana-dsc_0327.jpg  

Old 04-12-2009, 05:24 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,161,188 times
Quote:
Have a look at my Eastern Montana album. For perspective I am much closer to North Dakota than to Billings.
Where is this album? ND is great. I know, since I was hatched there!

I remember picnicking in Culbertson one year when we were on our way to visit relatives in ND. Real pretty little town, for all its repute as the middle of nowhere. Also that year was both hottest and coldest spot in the U.S. (think it went something like +113 to -68 that year, that range anyway).

Old 04-12-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Where is this album? ND is great. I know, since I was hatched there!

I remember picnicking in Culbertson one year when we were on our way to visit relatives in ND. Real pretty little town, for all its repute as the middle of nowhere. Also that year was both hottest and coldest spot in the U.S. (think it went something like +113 to -68 that year, that range anyway).
Just go to the profile, click on album/
I travel to Culbertson I was 114 the day I moved to E Mt.

Old 04-12-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post
When I read "lion" I have that mental pause... and then mentally add, "Oh, yes, mountain." It's not I'm totally dim, it's that I've lived in Africa.

We had a visitor a couple of months back.... As much as we were not thrilled to see him around, we did have to admire his table manners.
Exotic for sure!. I think I refer to them as lions coming from Oregon. Puma, Cougar, are other names. I just know I would hate to run into one in the dark or in the day for that matter! In Oregon the Alpaca farmers keep a Llama on their property because they will stomp down a lion. I have seen some hunts and again they are fierce animals.

Old 04-12-2009, 05:39 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,161,188 times
Quote:
Just go to the profile, click on album/
I travel to Culbertson I was 114 the day I moved to E Mt.
Y'all ain't up in Scobey, are ya?

REAL purty pictures. Love the sunset and the stubble fields, most especially.

In my mind the very prettiest landscape in the world is wheat stubble with just enough snow to cover the ground -- looks like a carpet of gold.

Old 04-12-2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Y'all ain't up in Scobey, are ya?

REAL purty pictures. Love the sunset and the stubble fields, most especially.

In my mind the very prettiest landscape in the world is wheat stubble with just enough snow to cover the ground -- looks like a carpet of gold.
no, much more southeast, but I have been thru the port there.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:40 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,066,267 times
Trailhead at the end of Blackleaf road. Trails lead off into the network of trails in the Bob.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:18 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,220,557 times
A year ago, I bought 10 tons of hay for 4 horses for the winter. Small squares of between 60 to 80 lbs each of alfalfa grass mix for $1000. I had a couple of tons left but that was a mild winter.

Just before this past winter, I bought 7 tons for $1200 from my same supplier. Price had gone up due to the cost of fuel. And this was a nasty winter. I currently have 3 bales left but the grass has greened up and growing like crazy so I had stopped haying them and they seem happy grazing. I cut it too close so I will buy 9 tons for this winter. My hay supplier irrigates so I get his second cutting and even if his hay is pricey, its awesome stuff. My animals get fat on it and I have to regulate the amount I give them according to how cold it is.

Big rolls of CRP can run $70-$80 a roll and big rolls of alfalfa can command higher prices.

So I feed alfalfa which is high in protein and I can avoid graining them except on the coldest winter days when I will grain them to help keep their body heat up.

For grain, I feed them horse ration which has pressed alfalfa pellets, barley, oats, etc. A 50 lb bag is $12 from my local seed outlet.

A farrier used to charge me (I do my own trimming these days) $30 a horse plus mileage. I live 40 miles from town so it adds up.

I have 4 animals on 40 acres so my summer feed is something I don't have to worry about. I will graze my animals until the first snow flies and then its into feeding them hay.

Last edited by T-310; 05-03-2009 at 08:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana