U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 06:23 PM

9,390 posts, read 17,309,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Where everything is more expensive ! Kalispell is a great jumping off point and a place to load up with supplies for camping, fishing and hunting trips at reasonable prices. Whitefish and Bigfork are lovely little tourist towns that are fine and dandy but the stores are expensive. Good for walking around, grabbing a tasty meal and buying a few overpriced trinkets. Kalispell is the big city of the valley and a hub of sorts. I wouldn't consider Kalispell a destination though, rather a supply depot to grab a new fishing pole and some lures before heading off to the The Thompson Chain Of Lakes or Hungry Horse Reservoir.
What Rickers said, exactly. I've often gone to the Kalispell "area" for fishing, camping, skiing and even (ugh) business, but I've never considered the city itself for more than a starting or ending point (supplies, meeting places, hotels, restaurants). While a very nice city, IMHO, it's not the place to spend a vacation. As an area, it's great.

We'd often split our summer vacation time between Flathead Lake and the North Fork up to the border. We'd start in Kalispell and stock up with food and fishing gear before heading north at dawn's light for a few days on the North Fork, then head back to Kalispell for a comfortable night in a "plush" hotel before casting off for a few days on the lake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 09:42 AM

6,023 posts, read 11,868,216 times
Thumbs down Quoting myself about Kalispell !

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Heck I go to Kalispell when I'm in the area just to eat at Skippers.
I just lost one of the last reasons to go through Kalispell when traveling through. We used to eat at Skippers, never again. Some guy bought the name and a few of the restaurant locations. They just about doubled the prices and the food is crap now. There is a very noticeable lack of decent food in the Flathead Valley, it seems to be mostly fast food chains.
Every time I travel back and forth across the mountains I look for new eateries in the valley and I am always disappointed. Where is the good food at ?

Old 08-31-2009, 11:15 AM

4 posts, read 7,574 times
Kalispell isn't a bad place to visit, however it depends on what you are looking for. I visited their for a brief two days in December of 07. Being from Ohio, I was awestruck by the beautiful mountain range bordering Glacier National Park as one looks east from Kalispell. The drive west out Route 2 is terrific as well. I turned around a few miles past Happy's Inn / Thompson Lakes. I drove through Glacier NP and up to Hungry Horse Dam. Spectacular.

I don't think Kalispell or any of the regular 'towns' in montana are anything special. They are mountain towns. Lots of locals with low paying jobs, and some touristy type stores etc. The greater Kalispell area has experienced a large influx of big money that is driving up the prices of real estate, which can be frustrating for the regular folks.

If you want mountains and scenery, Kalispell is awesome. If you want to experience a 'city / town' then you should go somewhere else. Being from Ohio, I wasn't impressed with all of the 'Keno' gambling joints everywhere, but otheriwise - loved the area. I want to go back, and yes i would move there.

(Ohio is nice - especially by Lake Erie - lots of watersports, cost of living is low, and a little of everything. Being near Flathead Lake is aplus

Old 09-01-2009, 11:30 AM

309 posts, read 866,577 times
I lived in Kalispell for a while before moving "south" to Bigfork and finally the Swan. Never thought much of the place and like others before me thought the prices were high. That was before the HD went in. I always shop in Missoula, because I spent a lot of time driving down there, when I had a regular job.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:39 PM

3,040 posts, read 10,424,460 times
I visited Kalispell this summer for the first time. I had a pleasant visit, and enjoyed my time there... all three or four hours of it! Actually, I have a friend I used to work with that retired there about eight years ago, and I stopped to visit him and his wife while I was in the area. It really was a pleasant visit, catching up on old times and such, but that's about all I did while in town.

Glacier National Park was beautiful, and is a place I would recommend to anyone to visit. If Kalispell is the jumping off point for such a Glacier Park visit, I think you would find it pleasant and enjoyable. Like others who have already posted here, I don't see Kalispell as a destination in itself, but a central point for visiting other nearby places (Glacier, Flathead Lake, etc.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana