U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 06:08 AM

6,258 posts, read 12,896,636 times

Advertisements

A different take on it. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 07:42 AM

1,688 posts, read 6,892,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post

It won't affect today's gun owners. Its intent is to ensure that tomorrow we still have gun owners, and that the feds can't take that future away from us.
Thanks Reziac. That was what I thought, but just wanted to make sure as the article wasn't very clear about that particular aspect.

As my son is studying to become a gunsmith, issues like this are important to me personally. I'd like to think he's not elected to become one of those "dying trades".

Old 04-20-2009, 01:01 PM

7,540 posts, read 12,581,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post
Thanks Reziac. That was what I thought, but just wanted to make sure as the article wasn't very clear about that particular aspect.

As my son is studying to become a gunsmith, issues like this are important to me personally. I'd like to think he's not elected to become one of those "dying trades".
Oh, those "dying trades" may end up being some of the most important skills of the future... besides, if we don't keep them alive in our own country, where will we buy those products in the future? Somehow using a mass-produced cheap Chinese rifle lacks all appeal, not to mention all safety margin!!

Old 04-20-2009, 02:30 PM

6,023 posts, read 11,880,577 times
I think I'll hang on to my machine shop tools for a while. They may come in handy someday.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:24 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,482,892 times
Quote:
Rez's quick translation for the masses:
Hey, D.C.! See this boundary? Inside it you'll find THE STATE OF MONTANA. According to the 10th Amendment, what we do inside our state borders is none of your damn business. You have no power to regulate commerce within or among the states, including this one.

Hey, D.C., see these guns and ammo, made in MONTANA? under the foregoing, they're none of your damn business either.
See? Simple. And there was much cheering!!
This also was a shot across the bow when it comes to things like medical marijuana and other state items.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:54 AM

7,540 posts, read 12,581,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
This also was a shot across the bow when it comes to things like medical marijuana and other state items.
Speaking of hemp, did you see this?

Paul (TX14) - Speech and Statement - Statement Introducing HR 1866, Industrial Hemp Farming Act (http://www.house.gov/apps/list/speech/tx14_paul/IndHemp.shtml - broken link)

The most relevant section:

Eight States--Hawaii, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Montana, North Dakota, Vermont, and West Virginia--allow industrial hemp production or research in accord with state laws. However, federal law is standing in the way of farmers in these states growing what may be a very profitable crop. Because of current federal law, all hemp included in products sold in the United States must be imported instead of being grown by American farmers.
We USE hemp. Because we use it, we must IMPORT it. Explain to me how that does American farmers, or Americans in general, any good?

To my understanding hemp farming wasn't banned because of the THC issue in the first place, tho in the culture coming out of Prohibition, that made a handy excuse (and neglects to note that industrial hemp has insignificant levels of THC). It was banned because William Randolph Hearst owned big pulp-timber tracts used for making paper, and hemp was a direct competitor for the paper-pulp market.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:03 AM

3,983 posts, read 3,373,464 times
Here's an interesting piece. We'll be watching, to see how it all plays out.

“The president believes that federal resources should not be used to circumvent state laws, and as he continues to appoint senior leadership to fill out the ranks of the federal government, he expects them to review their policies with that in mind,” White House spokesman Nick Shapiro said.

DEA pot raids go on; Obama opposes - Washington Times

Old 04-21-2009, 05:16 PM

6,258 posts, read 12,896,636 times
Quote:
Speaking of hemp, did you see this?

Paul (TX14) - Speech and Statement - Statement Introducing HR 1866, Industrial Hemp Farming Act (http://www.house.gov/apps/list/speech/tx14_paul/IndHemp.shtml - broken link)

The most relevant section:
Eight States--Hawaii, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Montana, North Dakota, Vermont, and West Virginia--allow industrial hemp production or research in accord with state laws. However, federal law is standing in the way of farmers in these states growing what may be a very profitable crop. Because of current federal law, all hemp included in products sold in the United States must be imported instead of being grown by American farmers.
We USE hemp. Because we use it, we must IMPORT it. Explain to me how that does American farmers, or Americans in general, any good?

To my understanding hemp farming wasn't banned because of the THC issue in the first place, tho in the culture coming out of Prohibition, that made a handy excuse (and neglects to note that industrial hemp has insignificant levels of THC). It was banned because William Randolph Hearst owned big pulp-timber tracts used for making paper, and hemp was a direct competitor for the paper-pulp market.
careful this could be your battle cry

YouTube - Musical Youth Pass the Dutchie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana