Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 07:53 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,636,245 times

Advertisements

I actually enjoyed my time in Montana, fall and winter, up near the Canadian border. You have to have SUV, truck or skis! Love the dry weather, winter or summer. There is little culture, shopping is next to nil. I did not find the people very friendly. But did enjoy going over the border to shop in Canada. Is a very beautiful state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2007, 09:57 AM

18 posts, read 80,950 times
Default for lilypad and montanamom

Hi montanamom - I live a few dozen miles from New York City. Housing and property taxes anywhere within a two or three hour drive of the city are exorbitant. Overall, salaries are higher, but it doesn't quite balance out for some of us. I do well, but I'm being squeezed out by those doing better. Retiring here requires a larger nest egg.

I have to believe that your research must be for upstate NY. By contrast, housing and property taxes there are the lowest in the country. I know people who have small second homes up there. They like it but admit that the winters are cold/dreary, and tend to be six months long. Summer scenery is beautiful, but it's only slightly cooler, and the humidity is the same. Lot's of rain. One friend commented "the mud, it's everywhere". And be prepared for many feet of (lake effect) snow in the western part of the state (100+ inches in mexico, NY).

I'd probably choose NY over most southern US states. Your description convinces me that you're better off where you are in MT!

Hi lilypad - Looks like my little honda civic would not be the vehicle of choice! I'm almost ashamed to say the lack of culture doesn't bother me (I'm more the outdoor type anyway), and I do most shopping online (give me a town with DSL). I'm surprised you didn't find the people friendly. Maybe it takes a while for montanans to open up to strangers. And, yes, it is a beautiful state, no arguments here.

Old 04-04-2007, 12:55 PM

373 posts, read 1,852,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post
Oh yeah, and don't worry about the meth problem at all. The only real effect the meth problem had on my life while I was living in MT was having to look at all those god awful anti-meth billboards and stuff. They have them all around Helena. But crime is so incredibly low, you probably won't even give it a first thought much less a second. Many people don't lock their cars, houses, etc. Although I must say that crime isn't much lower than it is in NYC. That's not because crime in Montana is high, but because crime in NYC is amazingly low.
Oh, I've had 5 of my childhood friends or long-time acquaintances die from meth od's or meth-related suicides. One guy I know lost his mom, stepdad, and brother all in one year due to meth. A man was murdered about 10 blocks from my house in Helena and another guy was a victim of a meth-related drive-by about 8 blocks from my house. I wouldn't say the billboards are god-awful. I think they are necessary. I moved away from my small town to Helena because all of my childhood friends had turned into meth-heads. I also had two separate meth dealer living right next to me in both in Helena and in Townsend. A girl I worked in the Helena area with became permanently blind due to a meth-induced stroke.

So, NYMT, it is out there. I guess it depends on your age and if you have had to live in apartments lately.

Old 04-05-2007, 01:28 PM

373 posts, read 1,852,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorelei2873 View Post
Oh, I've had 5 of my childhood friends or long-time acquaintances die from meth od's or meth-related suicides. One guy I know lost his mom, stepdad, and brother all in one year due to meth. A man was murdered about 10 blocks from my house in Helena and another guy was a victim of a meth-related drive-by about 8 blocks from my house. I wouldn't say the billboards are god-awful. I think they are necessary. I moved away from my small town to Helena because all of my childhood friends had turned into meth-heads. I also had two separate meth dealer living right next to me in both in Helena and in Townsend. A girl I worked in the Helena area with became permanently blind due to a meth-induced stroke.

So, NYMT, it is out there. I guess it depends on your age and if you have had to live in apartments lately.
To add even more, this little story came out right after I wrote this post. This happened within 2 blocks of my residence just now:

http://www.helenair.com/articles/2007/04/05/helena/c01040507_03.txt (broken link)

Old 04-05-2007, 03:57 PM

4 posts, read 15,209 times
Default Montanan "culture"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
There is little culture, shopping is next to nil. I did not find the people very friendly. .
The reasons that so many locals have problems with "outsiders" should be apparent in the attitudes of some of those out of staters. People come here, wanting to enjoy the beauty and scenery and lifestyle etc, taking for granted that which makes this place, Montana. To say that there is no culture is as ignorant as going to a small village in Africa, or Alaska, and saying the same thing. Simply because the culture does not include broadway plays or fancy European themed art museums does not in any way signify a lack of culture. Perhaps Montana demonstrates even more. Montana is its own culture, and if you cannot appreciate that fact, and embrace it, the locals most likely will not be friendly and welcoming. Why should they welcome someone who wants to "enlighten" or "improve" such a cultureless and obviously "behind the times" society?
Out of 12 definitions of culture from Dictionary.com Unabridged (v1.1) Random House, 6 easily describe the type of culture that is present in Montana:
"3. a particular form or stage of civilization, as that of a certain nation or period: Greek culture.
4. development or improvement of the mind by education or training.
5. the behaviors and beliefs characteristic of a particular social, ethnic, or age group: the youth culture; the drug culture.
6. Anthropology. the sum total of ways of living built up by a group of human beings and transmitted from one generation to another.
9. the raising of plants or animals, esp. with a view to their improvement.
10. the product or growth resulting from such cultivation."

The American Heritage New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition defines it this way:
"The sum of attitudes, customs, and beliefs that distinguishes one group of people from another. Culture is transmitted, through language, material objects, ritual, institutions, and art, from one generation to the next."

Old 04-12-2007, 11:21 PM

10 posts, read 26,152 times
Default Try Lewistown, Mt.

Just moved here from Ca. Bought a church building and turning into a TEEN CENTER....THEATER....DANCE STUDIO....Want to get involved with the Arts and Kids call me....Jack 406-535-2222 Pop. 7,000 great little town on the prarie surrounded by Mtns. See ya
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana