U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-21-2009, 12:15 PM
 
Location: West Yellowstone, MT
239 posts, read 608,918 times
Reputation: 127

Advertisements

I heard about an interesting study done by the University of Washington. I has to do with the understanding of weather reporters when they give us a probability of rain. Over 50% of people surveyed were incorrect in what the "probability of rain" means. The mistaken think if there is a 25% chance of rain it will rain in 25% of the area reported or that it will rain in the area for 25% of the day.

A 25% chance of rain simply means there is a 75% chance that it will NOT rain in the area reported.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-21-2009, 12:58 PM
 
Location: Great Falls, Montana
3,983 posts, read 3,370,707 times
Reputation: 1301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Doer View Post
I heard about an interesting study done by the University of Washington. I has to do with the understanding of weather reporters when they give us a probability of rain. Over 50% of people surveyed were incorrect in what the "probability of rain" means. The mistaken think if there is a 25% chance of rain it will rain in 25% of the area reported or that it will rain in the area for 25% of the day.

A 25% chance of rain simply means there is a 75% chance that it will NOT rain in the area reported.
Abd try to differentiate partly cloudy, from partly sunny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2009, 01:05 PM
 
369 posts, read 1,300,241 times
Reputation: 266
When I lived in Tacoma the forecasters often talked about "sun breaks"!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2009, 05:10 PM
 
Location: NW Montana
6,258 posts, read 12,888,622 times
Reputation: 3429
LOL I hear ya!
Dh and I married at the courthouse in beautiful Tacoma.
Then took in a Sammy Hagar concert at the dome.
Many moons ago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:26 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top