Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 10:04 PM

22 posts, read 62,388 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm in the thinking process of moving out of Dallas and trying out Montana...I'm an artist and photographer and I can't seem to get adjusted in Dallas. I live in Deep Ellum area and it's artsy, but again is not happening here. I'm looking for a small town feel, lots of nature, cool shops, antiques, and I love those areas that are cozy and have a nostalgic feel when you walk. I want to be close to an art community. My art is very eclectic as well as my photography. I'm planning on opening a small shop asap. I also do window displays as a freelance basis. So with all this information, I'm hoping that someone gears me to the right direction. Any other feed backs would be great. I love the downtown feel, so that's also something to think on. Hope to get some great feed back.. Thank you for taking the time in reading this. Laz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 12:13 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,064,665 times
Try Bigfork or Whitefish.

Old 05-05-2009, 01:34 PM

214 posts, read 601,753 times
Check Craigslist for Montana under skilled trades/artists, I think it was, an art shop in Philipsburg is looking for featuring artists in his new gallery.

Old 05-05-2009, 02:01 PM

218 posts, read 840,290 times
No one's recommending Missoula?

Old 05-05-2009, 02:14 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,064,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheWayToMemphis View Post
No one's recommending Missoula?
Missoula isn't part of Montana, it's a hippy enclave. Monte Turner said on the morning news that Hot Springs is a "territory in the State of Missoula" !

Old 05-05-2009, 02:23 PM

218 posts, read 840,290 times
Haha, from what I know of Montana it seems like it would be the hot spot for artists compared to the rest of the state.

Old 05-05-2009, 05:10 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativeye View Post
Hello, I'm in the thinking process of moving out of Dallas and trying out Montana...I'm an artist and photographer and I can't seem to get adjusted in Dallas. I live in Deep Ellum area and it's artsy, but again is not happening here. I'm looking for a small town feel, lots of nature, cool shops, antiques, and I love those areas that are cozy and have a nostalgic feel when you walk. I want to be close to an art community. My art is very eclectic as well as my photography. I'm planning on opening a small shop asap. I also do window displays as a freelance basis. So with all this information, I'm hoping that someone gears me to the right direction. Any other feed backs would be great. I love the downtown feel, so that's also something to think on. Hope to get some great feed back.. Thank you for taking the time in reading this. Laz
On your way here, check out Silver City, NM or Taos and Santa Fe, NM.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:16 PM

103 posts, read 264,246 times
um, I'm an artist as well, from the south and came here for similar ventures....
let me just say, you will have to do your research,
travel around and really feel it out, I have been in montana for a year and looks have been very deceiving.
here are some of my findings: take em or leave em....
I live now in bozeman,
thought that it would be perfect, by the look and feel of it....but soon found out...
the art scene is not here...one "main' down town street, expensive shops, snooty people,....very few art walks/ festivals, and not much of an invigorating art group.....(but I will miss the mountains, the view here is the most amazing)....850 for a 2 bedroom
great falls
is dead, museums are about it. people told me i should go to great falls, i did for two weeks, the only art I saw was in the museums, very few galleries. 700 for a 2 bedroom
butte,
decent/ strange scene, but noooo jobs..... no idea about price??didn't care for it enough to find out.
missoula
is the hippie/college/art town for sure, but it is way over populated and very expensive to live in like 1100 for a small 2 bedroom but if you can afford that...and if you are between 20-35 that is where you want to be. otherwise it might be a bit annoying.....wanna be hippies galore.
whitefish
is small and quaint, nice people, small art scene, huge opportunity to sell art there during peak season, very expensive to live though 1200 for 2 bedroom good town for a 40+ artist, lots of local support.
kalispel, belgrade -
cheaper towns outside of larger ones, more industrial areas but decent prices on places to live - kalispel is outside of whitefish and belgrade is outside of bozeman - both around 650 for 2 bedroom
in general....
I would suggest helena,
great art scene, very nice people, rent is decent, around 800 for 2 bedroom, helena is a great place for someone to start a small business, seems like a very cool scene of all ages , if you are older than 30 this is the town for you, less college/hippie scene in your face...but great artistic people everywhere. closest to seattle feeling in montana for sure!!!! wish my company needed me to transfer there!!!
I am being transfered to billlings next month, so I can let you know about that scene when i get there.
good luck, keep in touch...hope my research has helped....it took a year to compile, and noooo it isn't perfect and is completely subjective!!!!!

Last edited by flynaebirdy; 05-05-2009 at 11:29 PM..

Old 05-05-2009, 11:23 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,286,246 times
Consider, Sandpoint, Idaho...one hour west of Montana border, 3 hours NW of Missoula, 3.5 hours W of Whitefish/Kalispell. Great art scene...

Old 05-06-2009, 09:11 PM

22 posts, read 62,388 times
Thank you so much for that info... I'm just sort of getting a feel for different cities that I like. It's that time when at age 43 you need a new turn around in life..Keep in touch, Laz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana