Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 03:04 PM

38 posts, read 185,096 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me the good & bad side of Montana? (Considering moving to the Helena area.)

Attitude? Bugs/Snakes? Crime? The Websites that encourage me to come only say the good stuff.... what's the reality & the stuff they don't tell me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2006, 01:09 PM

38 posts, read 185,096 times
Default No one is talking to me. :(

So many people have viewed this but no one can give me info about Montana? PLEASE share with me your experiences... good or bad.

Thanks!

Old 07-09-2006, 03:39 AM

45 posts, read 334,431 times
Default Love Montana

I, for now, live in Idaho but lived in Eastern Montana for four years. To me Montana is just this side of heaven. Really it depends on where you are coming from and what you enjoy.

If you like the outdoors, expecially hunting and fishing, then you will love it there.

Prices for homes have gotten a bit high with all the out-of-town money coming in and shooting up prices.

Crime is very low. In a state where your potential victim is possibly armed would you want to attack someone.

Wages in Montana are low compared to other states. Many people work multiple jobs to live.

The biggest problem with getting used to Montana is distances. The state is huge and largely empty by other state standards. I know of people who think nothing of driving 600 miles (round trip) to go see a high school basketball game. Where I lived we drove 130 miles (one way) for grocieries. Of course living in Helena you wouldn't face this as much--all ammenities are right there.

Old 07-09-2006, 09:44 PM

5 posts, read 41,850 times
Cool Not so hidden Info on Montana

Number One...you have to give up something to live here

Usually money, salary, pay rate.

There is no doubt we pay for the boon of living in a beautiful state.

The economy is poor. The people are poor en masse. Crime in the cities is worse than I would have believed because the transients and homeless are to be considered. Montana's programs for the poor, especially here in Helena, are excellant, maybe the best in the entire country and it is no secret so they flock here and the morality amongst them is nil. Being a woman, I won't walk after dark without my big dog. The state has a huge mental health program and those who are not considered dangerous walk the streets and subject us to their latest hallucinations or whatever. Most if not all are on medication, some have been for most of their lives, I see them telling kids they are drug addicts for smoking pot and then keeping them on meds their entire life...extremely supervised life, not much of a life at all. When they do get dangerous they are taken off the streets for a short period and right back out.
Why is the suicide rate so huge for teens here? I wish I knew. I would have loved to grow up in a state this gorgeous...so what's the deal?
Attitude is definately a problem here. Lots of takers in the city. If you have a car, as I do, first thing off the bat so many want to befriend you...for rides.
Of course their are some awesome people here but your best place to meet them are in smaller towns. I expect to move within the month and I am so relieved. I have lived in many cities and even foreign countries and never seen such a strange brew as in Helena.

Old 07-12-2006, 12:43 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
I was checking out the crime rates for various cities in western Montana and was shocked at how high some of them are. What's up with that?

I understand that in the Rocky Mountain and Plains states, a high murder and assault rate generally stems from bar fights that get out of control in otherwise peaceful towns. But when property and burglary crime is that high, something is wrong.

What's up with western Montana crime? Yeah, I know it's nothing like California or even Washington, but it still seems remarkably high to me. Are the stats misleading? What's up?

Old 07-20-2006, 10:09 AM

1 posts, read 19,636 times
I moved to MT from VA nearly 40 years ago. It is wonderful. The people and scenery can't be beat. Winters can be a struggle, although for the past 5 -10 years they've been very mild. The down side to MT is wages are pretty poor. Most famililes have to have both parents work, some at more than 1 job. But, I'll tell you, I don't think I could live anywhere else.

I have lived in the Helena area all the time I've been in MT and there's no places I'm afraid to go.

Old 07-27-2006, 10:39 AM

78 posts, read 743,855 times
Snakes? Hardly a worry, though there are some. More of a concern are bears, moose (can be extremely ornery), mountain lions, coyotes, wolves. Depends where you live. In the cities, deer will be your biggest wildlife problem. In the mountains, well, the wildlife lived there first and it's their natural home.

Bugs--depends on where and weather. This summer the deerflies, horseflies, gray flies (all three of those bite nasty bites) are worse where I am in the mountains than they have been in recent years, but we had a wet spring (which isn't preventing another bad summer fire season, however).

Old 07-31-2006, 11:34 AM

4 posts, read 42,066 times
Default Whats up with Sidney?

Any info on Sidney(Eastern Montana)? Potential job possibility.

Is there any elevation, or is it plains area due to the grasslands just to the East?

I see they have a municipal airport, but where I currently live does to and that means squat in all practical terms.

My wife is a school teacher. Is there a potential for her as well?

Thanks!

Old 07-31-2006, 03:40 PM

5 posts, read 41,468 times
Average/Median house price in the Helena area has hit $200,000 We have been discovered. Since the housing costs are even higher in Missoula, Kalispell, and Bozeman folks that cant afford those places are coming here and pushing prices up around here as well.

Old 08-28-2006, 10:29 AM

8 posts, read 41,933 times
The problems with the crime in montana is not the homeless - It is the tweakers. Crank is very popular here and causes and incredible amount of crime - both assault types and burglary. Stay away from bigger cities if you want to stay away from crime - I live in a town of 300 - Geraldine - and you could leave anything out wothout a worry. I don't even know where my house keys are, and why would you want to lock your doors anyway - What if a neighbor needs something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana