U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 01:55 PM

7,540 posts, read 12,570,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodderman View Post
I was just noting today that it's colder outside than it is inside our freezer. So, if the power goes out, I'm climbing in the freezer for warmth. On the positive side, I bought a whole bunch of frozen food at Costco that I can just keep out on the porch until there's room inside.
LOL! I'm reminded that when I lived in MT, I didn't have a working fridge for about 10 years, and ... frankly it really wasn't a problem!! Never really warmed up under the trailer year-round, and in winter I'd bring stuff indoors to thaw...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 11:00 PM

7 posts, read 24,987 times
Its interesting that people on this web site advise other people to move to other states besides Montana. One such person suggested moving to Oregon/Washington because the weather is warmer.

Well, I'm someone who currently lives in the Portland metro area and before that lived in Washington State for years. People from Oregon and Washington always tell people how much it rains here. AND IT DOES. But the real issue for many people is the extremely large number of overcast days. Many people experience extreme depression and have to either spend 45 minutes/day with a light box or move to a state with fewer overcast days. Lots of people move to Oregon/Washington and then move away within a year or two due to depression. (Apparently, sunshine is needed to produce serotonin and some people have better serotonin metabolism than others.)

Another issue is that western Oregon and western Washington are extremely expensive. Right behind California in housing prices. State income taxes are very high in Oregon as well. Washington has no state income tax, but does have high sales tax.

There are many factors to be considered when deciding to move. Can you find a job? Do you prefer cold weather or hot weather? How many overcast days can you tolerate? How much will you pay in combined taxes if you live in that state? Do you require big city entertainment? Do you love being out in the woods? How far will you have to travel to see your family and can you afford the cost of travel on a regular basis?

Don't listen to nay sayers. Do your homework. (You can find out so much on the internet!) Visit for as long as you can. Then move where you really want to live.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:36 AM

271 posts, read 402,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
LOL! I'm reminded that when I lived in MT, I didn't have a working fridge for about 10 years, and ... frankly it really wasn't a problem!! Never really warmed up under the trailer year-round, and in winter I'd bring stuff indoors to thaw...
LOL! I have a pic for that!

Should I move from Florida to Montana (Kalispell or Great Falls)?-beer-fridge-4070.jpg

Old 02-18-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdreamer View Post
LOL! I have a pic for that!

Attachment 58308
HAHA!! I think they have those in West Yellowstone, too

Old 02-27-2010, 09:31 AM

30 posts, read 53,510 times
Go for Helena instead....great family area

Old 12-08-2010, 11:53 AM

286 posts, read 575,185 times
The American that I am....I belong in Kalispell or Idaho,but one thing holds me back and COLD WEATHER is it.Sure when I was young I worked in International Falls,Duluth,Fargo and thought nothing of it.A few years and a few operations later and the body craves dry heat.
Living in Arizona is awfully nice but it is NOT AMERICA any longer.....unless the Alamo and land sale treaties mean a thing.
Montana is just a dream for me.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:21 PM

54 posts, read 105,059 times
I'm still a way's from being able to completely move to Montana, but, the more I read on this forum, I have a feeling me and the wife are gonna love it there

Old 12-08-2010, 04:54 PM

4,883 posts, read 5,764,575 times
crzycabbie,

If that picture on your profile is any indication, then yep, you will fit right in with the rest of us "unique individuals"

Old 12-08-2010, 05:12 PM

LOL!!! Imagine your cab pulls up, and that's what you see in the driver's seat...

(Says the person who went bar-hopping in Bozeman on Halloween, wearing a long red cape and waving a sword... Well, a bayonet, but it was the best I could do on short notice.)

Old 12-08-2010, 06:23 PM

54 posts, read 105,059 times
That's definately an indication of my warped sense of humor. Halloween? thats my everyday wear......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana