Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 09:39 PM

1 posts, read 3,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodderman View Post
I felt the need to jump in here. Culture, racism, tolerance, "progressive" are all really subjective terms.

While there may not be culture to your liking in Kalispell (or any other area), that doesn't mean there's no culture there. I lived near Los Angeles for quite a few years. While most would say there is plenty of culture in and around LA, I would personally choose the culture of Kalispell (or any other town in Montana) over LA any day of the week. So, when you say you like or dislike an area, it's probably a good idea to get specific with WHY you like/dislike it. As your likes/dislikes might be the complete opposite of my likes/dislikes, when you say you dislike an area, it might me I would love it.

When talking about racism, you should really give specific examples. People looking at you because you look out of the ordinary isn't really racism, is it? I've traveled to different countries in Asia and, being a white male, people are always staring at me. There are also usually a few people who crack a joke or two at my expense. I've had the same thing happen in this country with both blacks and mexicans. I've been seated at worst table at "the back of the bus" in a mexican restaurant along with other white and black couples while hispanic couples got decent booths.

There is racism wherever you go. Having someone take a second glance at you because you look different isn't really the same as actual discrimination, is it? Regarding just getting "the look" though, I know that feeling well as I've said. Ironically, my wife (who is asian) and I ("white bread) have received "the look" much more in Misoula (which has a reputation for being liberal, tolerant, and "progressive") than we have around Kalispell. Interesting....

As far as locals being welcoming, I've found them to be just as welcoming as anywhere else I've lived (California, Washington, Louisiana) if not more so. Like the Misoula irony above, I've found the locals in Montana (white bread central) to be much more welcoming than the locals in California (diversity central). And I suspect I know why that is....

Generally speaking (there are ALWAYS exceptions), I have found the people in California to be shallow husks of a human. People in Montana tend to be deeper, more "real", more down to earth. People in California may welcome you with open arms the first second you step in the state - only to discard you at the slightest whim when they have no further use for you. People in Montana seem to take their time getting to know you, but, once they do get to know you, you will have a friend for life, no matter where you end up living.

The term "friend" is a relative term. It means different things to different people. I prefer the Montana meaning over the "progressive" meaning.

But that's just my experience.

Edit: I'm not from Kalispell, just giving my opinions on it, Montana, and all the rest. And, interestingly enough, I didn't know Misoula was such a liberal town until well after visiting there. I just knew almost immediately that I didn't like Misoula. Later, I find out why.

Hi
I have been trying to research Kalispell Mt online to check out what type of community etc.
The first thing I thought due to a TV programm on Lifetime is that would be a beautiful place for my husband and myself to visit. However now a day's when you are bi -racial couple as u know, u want to check out what your surroundings are going to be. Due to the ammount of racism I was wondering are there any people of color in the small town u visited. If I'm not misunderstanding u said that the community in the small town was vary welcoming of u nd ur wife. I had some concerns because i noticed on pictures i seen of the town I did not see any people of ethnic color in any of the community event/ parade pics. When I goggle this town and it's stats on it's ethnic community the only thing that came up was a forrum of anglo's of the w/pride group and people expressing how there were no blacks mexicans and if one would want to live in a perfect environment with none of these to worry about it is a perfect place to be without thus people. Is this true from ur experience? I would greatly appreciate ur response
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 09:53 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
You can find the demographics HERE on City-Data.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:57 PM

317 posts, read 1,090,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agatha and Lee Morton View Post
Hi
I have been trying to research Kalispell Mt online to check out what type of community etc.
The first thing I thought due to a TV programm on Lifetime is that would be a beautiful place for my husband and myself to visit. However now a day's when you are bi -racial couple as u know, u want to check out what your surroundings are going to be. Due to the ammount of racism I was wondering are there any people of color in the small town u visited. If I'm not misunderstanding u said that the community in the small town was vary welcoming of u nd ur wife. I had some concerns because i noticed on pictures i seen of the town I did not see any people of ethnic color in any of the community event/ parade pics. When I goggle this town and it's stats on it's ethnic community the only thing that came up was a forrum of anglo's of the w/pride group and people expressing how there were no blacks mexicans and if one would want to live in a perfect environment with none of these to worry about it is a perfect place to be without thus people. Is this true from ur experience? I would greatly appreciate ur response
Thanks
I am a native from the Kalispell area. You are correct that there are very few people of ethnic color in the Flathead Valley. Northwest Montana is a very white part of the country and there is little diversity there. Mexicans, blacks, asians, and most other ethnicities aren't common.

That's not to say that you aren't welcome to come and visit. People of the Flathead tend to welcome anyone who comes and spends money, and that certainly is true today.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:12 AM

375 posts, read 1,381,477 times
Quote:
Hi
Thanks
You can't eat beauty!

Old 12-07-2009, 03:47 AM

120 posts, read 378,501 times
Quote:
Hi
The first thing I thought due to a TV programm on Lifetime is that would be a beautiful place for my husband and myself to visit. However now a day's when you are bi -racial couple as u know, u want to check out what your surroundings are going to be. Due to the ammount of racism I was wondering are there any people of color in the small town u visited. If I'm not misunderstanding u said that the community in the small town was vary welcoming of u nd ur wife.
When I wrote the piece you quoted, my wife and I had only visited the area. Now we live there and couldn't be happier. We could be warmer as it's slated to be -12 degrees this week, but not happier.

I'm really not sure at all where you are getting your information. You say, "Due to the amount of racism...". To what racism are you referring? We haven't experienced any. I'm sure there are a few people with racist tendencies here, as there are everywhere, but we just have yet to meet them.

Are there "any people of color" here? Sure. There are blacks, Asians, Hispanics, Native Americans, etc. There's a little Asian grocery store that's far too little for my taste (and it's in a terrible location, so don't know how long it will last). There aren't a LOT of those races, but they exist.

Quote:
I had some concerns because i noticed on pictures i seen of the town I did not see any people of ethnic color in any of the community event/ parade pics.
As has beenuse for consaid, the area is mostly white. Citi-data can probably provide fairly accurate stats. I'm not sure why an area being mostly <insert your favorite color here> is, by itself, a cause for concern. I've visited Asian cities that, in my opinion, were racist. I've visited other Asian cities that, in my opinion, were the opposite. While this particular area is mostly white, true, that doesn't automatically mean it's racist. Same thing for Hispanic towns or Asian towns or black towns or <insert whatever race here> towns.

Quote:
When I goggle this town and it's stats on it's ethnic community the only thing that came up was a forrum of anglo's of the w/pride group and people expressing how there were no blacks mexicans and if one would want to live in a perfect environment with none of these to worry about it is a perfect place to be without thus people. Is this true from ur experience? I would greatly appreciate ur response
My experience tells me that no matter what you are looking for, you can find someone willing to sell it to you on the Internet. I'm not sure what search term you used in Google, but I had to dig deep to find something similar to what you are talking about. The basic diversity stats are what they are and are easy to find. Citi-data comes up first in a Google search and will tell you all you want to know in that regard.

However, I think I found what you were referring to. And that is a married couple who moved to Kalispell from out of state and who are now trying to recruit others of like mind to move to the area because it's mostly white. Is that it? These people are not Montana natives and it sounds as if they've only lived here a short while.

My experience is that the people I've met judge you based on the content of your character. If you are an honorable person with a friendly and outgoing manner, you will do fine. If you want to be left alone, people will leave you alone. If you want to join in whatever community events there are, you will be welcome. But....if you come here with the idea that you'll change the place into your idea of perfection, you probably won't do so well. And, I believe, that applies equally to the out-of-state couple mentioned above.

Old 12-07-2009, 04:43 AM

Let me add this from another thread here:

Quote:
Hanukkah has a special significance in Montana these days. In Billings in 1993, vandals broke windows in homes that were displaying menorahs. In a response organized by local church leaders, more than 10,000 of the city’s residents and shopkeepers put make-shift menorahs in their own windows, to protect the city’s three dozen or so Jewish families. The vandalism stopped.
I would interpret this thus: The out-of-state couple in the forum that seems to have you so worked up about racism might be candidates for the vandalism. And the 10,000+ people who came to the defense of the victims are the native Montanans.

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/05/us/05religion.html

Old 12-07-2009, 11:31 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,162,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodderman View Post
Let me add this from another thread here:

I would interpret this thus: The out-of-state couple in the forum that seems to have you so worked up about racism might be candidates for the vandalism. And the 10,000+ people who came to the defense of the victims are the native Montanans.

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/05/us/05religion.html
Montanans' reaction being not "yeah, let's get rid of those pesky minorities", but rather, "how DARE you creeps pick on our fellow Montanans??"

Lack of numbers or "diversity" does NOT equate to racism. And if you could force a "diverse" population to move to MT... now what have you done?

Old 12-07-2009, 01:34 PM

299 posts, read 566,282 times
Default better options for move

LilianaG,
I suggest that if you want more open space, that you move to either Texas, Arizona, or New Mexico.. You'll have the warmth that you're used to, plus lots of space, and far better job prospects ... plus, winters that are FAR less extreme than you'll find in Montana.. .....

Also, after you find a decent area there, you might want to do slc0037 a favor, and send her a few brochures from there.. After 7 years in Montana, she's obviously EXTREMELY unhappy and just waiting for a chance to make her escape back to the real world.. I know the economy's tight right now, but I'm sure MANY of the good folks in Kalispell would chip in to pay her moving expenses, just to see her go.

tiberius

Last edited by tiberius; 12-07-2009 at 01:38 PM.. Reason: wrote one of the sentences wrong.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberius View Post
LilianaG,
I suggest that if you want more open space, that you move to either Texas, Arizona, or New Mexico.. You'll have the warmth that you're used to, plus lots of space, and far better job prospects ... plus, winters that are FAR less extreme than you'll find in Montana.. .....
tiberius
I was just noting today that it's colder outside than it is inside our freezer. So, if the power goes out, I'm climbing in the freezer for warmth. On the positive side, I bought a whole bunch of frozen food at Costco that I can just keep out on the porch until there's room inside.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:39 PM

216 posts, read 641,255 times
LOL way to look on the bright side, Fodderman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana