U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 01:22 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 4,836,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBayTodd View Post
I'm thinking of spending a couple of weeks in Montana this summer...I'd love to see some mountains, lakes, and a nice town or two. Any suggestions?
If you visit the Church in St Ignatius, and are driving North on 93 toward Polson, I recommend you take time to stop at the Ninepipes Museum of Early Montana. It's only a few miles out of town on the right. It has some great pictures of the historical development of Montana, and it gives you a sense of reverence for the Native American culture and contribution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 01:04 PM

65 posts, read 187,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
If you visit the Church in St Ignatius, and are driving North on 93 toward Polson, I recommend you take time to stop at the Ninepipes Museum of Early Montana. It's only a few miles out of town on the right. It has some great pictures of the historical development of Montana, and it gives you a sense of reverence for the Native American culture and contribution.
Ninepipes Museum also has fantastic museum pieces of native items and pioneer family memorbilia. Kids will love the last room of the museum with the animal set up. And the view of the mountains from the Ninepipes is fantastic. You can even go fishing across the road.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,171 times
Default trip to montana this month

Any advice for visitors from England travelling via Calgary to Glacier, Yellowstone, Cody, Buffallo and the Black Hills by car this month?

Old 05-10-2008, 07:42 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,452,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mozzeruk View Post
Any advice for visitors from England travelling via Calgary to Glacier, Yellowstone, Cody, Buffallo and the Black Hills by car this month?
Well the good news is the snow should be over for a little while! Snowed yesterday as a matter of fact but is supposed to be in the 80's at the end of next week. Going to the sun road will not be open until sometime next month I guess, they're runing about 2 weeks behind according to my neighbor who's on the road clearing crew. As of right now most of the park is still shut down for the winter so you might want to check GNP's web site and see what it has to say.
If you can delay your trip until the end of the month or middle of next month I'd suggest it especially because flood advisories are being given on the news stations due to the rapid melt expected and the added moisture we got up until yesterday.
While I'm glad to see our brothers from across the pond to be honest there's not much to see as of yet because winter just won't stop yet.
Happy trails....

Old 07-24-2008, 02:15 PM

4 posts, read 7,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montann View Post
The bear park in Coram, Montana on the way to Glacier Park is NOT closed. They try to shut him down every year, to no avail (thank goodness). One of his employees got hurt there last year but he is still open every spring. It is well worth the time to visit this park.
Do you know exactly where the bear park is to drive thorugh or how much it is ,we would love to go , but dont know where or how muchif it isisnt closed

Old 07-24-2008, 02:45 PM

3,871 posts, read 15,482,355 times
There's only one road to and through Coram, as the town is about the size of a sneeze. It's on Hwy 2, the road to Glacier Park. You can't miss the signs for the bear park... BE SURE TO KEEP YOUR WINDOWS UP AND YOUR DOORS LOCKED when you're driving through the Great Bear Adventure.
http://www.travelmt.com/mt-cities-Coram.html

Last edited by allforcats; 07-24-2008 at 02:59 PM..

Old 07-27-2008, 11:51 AM

5 posts, read 9,514 times
Default Bear World

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjbowden3 View Post
Do you know exactly where the bear park is to drive thorugh or how much it is ,we would love to go , but dont know where or how muchif it isisnt closed
Another great bear park to check out is BEAR WORLD. It's on highway 20 just outside of Rexburg, Idaho which is only 75 miles southwest of Yellowstone. We stop there every summer on our way up to Yellowstone, it's great! They have grizzlies, black bears, and wolves! You drive thru them all, and then at the end you can park and go thru the visitor's center where they almost always have tiny bear cubs that are so fun to watch up close in a nice area that was built for them. The whole experience costs about $35 per car to drive thru, and we think it is well worth it!

Old 07-28-2008, 09:25 PM

1,219 posts, read 2,810,323 times
Blah..
If you want to see wildlife it's better to run around in the back-country. Even Yellowstone is a completely different place when you get out there a few miles away from the roads. All it takes is a little fitness, some camp skills and a touch of common sense.

I suppose places like the Grizzly center in West Yellowstone or the bear cage someone set up between Bozeman and Livingston are cool to people that live in the 'burbs or the city, but that ain't wildlife.. it's conditioned life set up for human amusement.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:47 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,151,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf232 View Post
Blah..
If you want to see wildlife it's better to run around in the back-country. Even Yellowstone is a completely different place when you get out there a few miles away from the roads. All it takes is a little fitness, some camp skills and a touch of common sense.

I suppose places like the Grizzly center in West Yellowstone or the bear cage someone set up between Bozeman and Livingston are cool to people that live in the 'burbs or the city, but that ain't wildlife.. it's conditioned life set up for human amusement.
Amen! I have always had a dislike for the "caged bears" outside of Glacier since the guy built the place. In a place like Montana, there's no need for caged bears or "zoo like tourist attractions". We have plenty of it in the woods.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:48 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,452,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrees View Post
Amen! I have always had a dislike for the "caged bears" outside of Glacier since the guy built the place. In a place like Montana, there's no need for caged bears or "zoo like tourist attractions". We have plenty of it in the woods.
Agreed!! Spend a couple of days up in the park actually walking around and you'll see plenty of wildlife. Heck they even have free shuttles to and from most trail heads now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana