U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 10:35 PM

66 posts, read 136,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Bill7719,

Terry is a super little town, Be prepared for isolation as it is a long way from anywhere!! If you are looking for life not so different from how it was in the early 20th century, small town values with a lot of heart, you would like Terry.

There was a turn of the century photographer who lived there, Evelyn Cameron, (sp?) who moved to Terry from England. Her Husband wanted to raise horses to send back to England. That scheme went bust, but Evelyn took up photography and has some of the most spectacular images of early Montana available.

My favorite is the "Wolfer".
Hi, MTSilvertip! Now this sounds really nice! As I love history, this definitely sounds like an interesting place. Even if I didn't ultimately live there, I would definitely find myself spending time there.

Quote:
Roundup is a nice place. I hunt antelope in the area. I don't know exactly what the definition of "cowboy" feel is, but it is a great little town to live in. My parents lived there for a while and loved it.
I'm not totally sure I can define what I wrote about a "cowboy" feel myself, to be honest. I guess it would be a place where there are some ranches and people involved in that line of work. Also, a place that has some architecture that seems to have an Old West feel to it (if not the original buildings). As a history fan, a place that tries to honor/promote the history of the Old West would be good. For example, in Miles City, I really liked the Range Riders Museum.

Quote:
I must admit I was impressed with your earlier dissertations. Well written with easy to follow points backed with facts.
I know you would probably fit in well in either place.
Thanks very much! Glad you liked them!

Quote:
Wyoming is good too. They don't pay much attention to the rabid greens and pretty much do what they want. Water is harder to find in Wyoming, but the land is cheaper. They do have a sales tax which Montana doesn't have, but most of the values you espoused are personified in a large segement of the Montana and Wyoming populations as long as you stay away from the greens nesting sites. Many here say they are democrats, but when you talk to them, they sound a lot like Ronald Reagan.
This is definitely great to know. I don't even mind Democrats who are reasonable. Republicans are not perfect and there needs to be competition. If someone is going to truly espouse the ideas of Ronald Reagan, then I'm definitely all for them regardless of party.

The rabid greens are some of the most obnoxious people I have heard of. I certainly don't mind ideals of sensible conservation, but the envirowhacko mentality is simply insane. We can't shut the country down because some envirowhackos hate business.

Here in NY, they've been very destructive.....to the environment, to common people, to small business, to wildlife, etc. They demanded that the Hudson River be dredged because decades ago, GE dumped PCBs in the river. Was it a good thing? Of course not. But sometimes, "the fix" is going to create a bigger problem. The PCBs settled long ago. Wildlife was thriving. The area where the dredging is actually happening is a huge tourist area where people make money with small B&Bs, restaurants overlooking the river, etc. The towns where the dredging was to take place were strongly opposed. But the envirowhackos won, and the Bush administration (yes, sky1949, if you're reading, this one *IS* Bush's fault) EPA decided to engage in dredging. With all the bureaucracy, it only started now. Everything has been disrupted. Dredging goes on 24 hours per day, 6 days per week. The noise levels are horrible. Communities south of the dredging are finding contaminents in the water because the PCBs have been stirred up (surprise, surprise). They've had to seek other sources of municipal water and their residents have to absorb the costs. Wildlife will be disrupted for years. Tourism and small business in the area will be disrupted for years. But the envirowhackos don't care because they were able to punish a big business. In reality, the envirowhackos were simply useful idiots for the state because the goal was to deepen the river....at the expense of a private business.

Quote:
Pay no attention to the far left fringe who come on these boards only to stir up trouble.
Yes, it's definitely good to know MT is not overrun with people who would fit in perfectly in NY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montana_mom_2 View Post
hi bill. about central mt, and finding a wide variety of folks with different ideas...on both sides....i think central mt would be a happy medium...it still leans towards conservative, but you will find a few more liberals there! i'm just thinking you might like it more because it offers closer ammenities...should you start craving a mcdonalds burger!!! but, if you want to "go all the way" EM is the place to be. Terry is nice, it's almost smack dab between glendive and milescity (for your geographical reference!). It's much, much smaller than glendive...you'd pretty much be driveing the 40 or so miles to glendive just for a gallon of milk (okay, you could probably find some milk there, but not much else) i've heard there's a pretty cool museum there...keep meaning to stop but haven't yet. they also have a pretty good rodeo and parade once year too! as for Roundup...i've never been...but it is A LOT closer to Billings than the rest of these places. Also, if regards to your wyoming question.....i really don't know if you'd be happier there...it really depends on what your wanting to take up for hobby...wyoming has some great antelope and mule deer hunting...i know that! and of course you have the sales tax there, and the oil booms and busts (but you will get that in glendive and sydney too). in the northwest you do get yellowstone park...that would be a big plus. and if you're in, say...powell area, you get the closeness of the parks (teton and yellowstone) without the liberal...expensive...not so cowboy..bozeman area! from my experience, no matter where you go in wyoming, it's gonna be a lot like eastern montana...politically and socially!...if that makes sense at all. my one other piece of advice: don't move near an indian reservation, I can speak on this subject with knowledge because both my husband and i grew up on a reservation....it's not about a race, it's just that life is tough on and nears rez's you get some shady things going on... quite a lot of poverty, and most of all...it's just hard to be near an area where so many people live in poverty and hopelessness....not to mention...i can pretty much guarantee you won't be welcomed. (once again..i don't want anyone to chew me out for "racism"...my husband is native amarican, and i was raised on the flathead indian reservation). once again...my advice is to take a summer and travel both states!
Hi Montana Mom, thanks! Yes, the more I think about it, I'd rather go "all the way." I can visit those other places, but there is a difference between living in an area vs. visiting. To get involved with the day to day life, I'd rather be in a place with more conservatives.

Actually, when you mentioned politically and socially, did you mean socially conservative as well? I haven't touched on that before, but I am socially conservative (in addition to being fiscally conservative) and would be interested in being around some social conservatives (it's almost impossible to find one of them here in NY). I wouldn't "turn up my nose" at a socially liberal person, but it would just be nice to be around some people where I agree on those issues. And, of course, I'm looking more towards people who choose to live their lives in a moral and ethical manner. (Obviously, I am not a big believer in the government getting involved in people's lives. In the case of abortion, I simply believe the modern government needs to live up to the Declaration of Independence and recognize that life is a right from God, not something that can be given or taken away by human beings who are employed by the government.)

Also, I put this in another note but I've now written so many responses that it may get lost in the shuffle... in EM, would there be singles in their late 20s/early 30s? I saw in a thread on a Wyoming board that most people in WY are married in their early 20s.

I definitely do want to see more of these states in depth, or stay in a place on a month to month basis so I don't have a serious commitment.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:50 PM

Quote:
oh, and one more thing...thank you for defending us "po, uneducated folk here in mt"...people would be surprised to know how many quite educated people live here....many of us have gone to college....(and not just for a few months!!) and have then decided to come back to the area because we love montana, and it's way of living. i have a college degree (i actually have 3...don't ask!!)and my husband and i moved here because he was offered a great paying job in a place we could purchase a 5 bedroom house for $65,000 (that was 6 years ago...prices have doubled, almost trippled since then).....and we could do the things we love (hunting, fishing, etc), giving our kids many lessons in common sense...while still being able to afford to save for their "book education" later in life. i'm sorry, but that doesn't sound all that "ignorant", or "dumb" to me.
I totally agree! I think a lot of people discount rural areas and assume everyone who lives there is "uneducated." They think there cannot possibly be people in a rural area who have gone to college. College is supposed to train people to think, to have the tools to inform themselves and then make educated decisions, and to honor diverse perspectives. But more often, the expectation seems to be that people who have gone to college will reject anything from their past that does not "fit the mold" of an academic elitist environment. Students are all expected to think a certain way (most often liberal).

Elitism just bothers me to no end. There is nothing wrong with preserving traditions and keeping an area unique. What's wrong with having something different to offer rather than just being another suburban clone? From my perspective as a New Yorker, I definitely would like to see Montana (and Wyoming, plus the Dakotas) stay as it is so the people who live there don't have to experience what we in New York have seen. Also, it would be nice to think there is still a refuge where elitism doesn't rule the day.

Quote:
dumb to me is people living in huge cities in homes they can't afford just so they can impress all their green, snobby friends...that's why this country is in the state that it's in...people with their noses in the air, living a lie, and snubbing us "po ignorant fok" in EM!
Exactly. The "keeping up with the Joneses" mentality is ridiculous, particularly when it can only be done by borrowing money. Big cities are loaded with problems such as higher taxes, congestion, stress, and higher crime. Why look down on people who choose not to live with these kinds of things....all at a higher cost for real estate?

Quote:
reminds me of a man who rides his bike by my house all the time...carrying a snow shovel in the winter and pushing a lawnmower next to him in the summer...somebody who doesn't know him would think he was a poor 40 year old man on food stamps...the reality? he has a masters degree...he just makes TONS of money shoveling people's driveways and mowing their lawns (and riding his bike instead of driving a car)!!!....may look dumb to some, but in reality...he's probably living a much more stress -free, care- free life than the rest of us.....and lets face it, he probably has more money in the bank than the snobby folk in the "city" driving those audi's!
This is exactly it. If he's doing that, he must enjoy it. He's found a niche. He likely doesn't face a lot of competition. Certainly, this kind of work would be a way to stay in shape without having to spend time at a gym. But you're right....some people would look down on him and pass judgment because he's not in an "approved" career.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:22 PM

7 posts, read 15,708 times
Thanks for the reply...boy you must be keeping busy with all this!! anyway, yes, i meant both politically and socially conservative....i have to admit sometimes even a little too socially conservative...but you have the extremeists i think anywhere you go...both right and left. anyway, i think you would find pretty happy balance here (in general). mostly it's people who sound a lot like you (believe a baby has a right to live, think a hand shake and your word are good enough, most of us still carry guns in our trucks...and that's totally normal..to us guns aren't for hurting somebody that makes us mad...there a way of life..we use them to provide for our families. i know, sounds a little hickish, but did you know wild game is the healthiest leanest meat there is (other than most fish)....oh and minus all the hormones too! that way of thinking is kind of a way of life here.....of course there's a lot of people with apposing views as well...but i'd say they're definately still the minority....and i hope it stays that way.
on to the social questions you had: it is true that many people here do get married fairly young (for instance my husband and i got married when we were 20) but, you're finding less and less of that now...many more people are going to college, and living their lives...so, you'll have a lot of people who have gotten married and started having kids young, but i think you'll find just as many people your age that are still single as well. i don't know what you're into as far as activities, but one thing glendive has is a GREAT city recreation department. they have adult leagues and clubs for pretty much everything from softball, volleyball, archery, wallyball (volleyball in a racketball court), cooking, books,....the list goes on. so, many of the singles in the town do those things to get to know eachother. (all this stuff is going on in glendive, i'm not sure what they have in other towns when it comes to this kind of stuff). i have to say, though, really the only other socializing that goes on is at the bars, and due to lack of anywhere else to go, most of the club and league "meetings" tend to migrat to bars as well. of course they aren't big-city clubs...just hometown bars that serve beer and nachos! we also have 2 good folf courses too (golfing witha frizby if you're not familiar with it) and a pretty nice 9 hole golf course as well. (lots of clubs and leagues at the golf course too). glendive also has a community college, so that keeps a pretty steady influx of people coming in as well. and financially.....prices have gone up in glendive area...but even with the housing jump...it's STILL way cheaper than most places. and prices are still really low in towns surrounding (great house for like $30or $40 thousand). does this all help? hopefully i am answering a few of your questions!

Old 05-30-2009, 10:06 PM

3 posts, read 5,326 times
[quote=rickers;8896753]"Caesar Barakus the Zero" I'm laughing at that one, can I use it ?
That is hilarious.My husband will love that line. We are planning a move from Central Georgia to North Eastern Montana for many of the same reasons. We miss having "4" seasons a year,here we have 2, comfortable,and it's summer again. Plus,now that Obama is in Office,many fellow "black" members of Georgia have adopted the same,"better than royalty" attitude.I'm getting really sick of being told because of slavery I owe them something. You know what I say to that,My family lived in the North and didn't own slaves,and then remind them that there "own" people sold them. If your going to gripe,yell at them, not me.I'm glad to finally read some "native" Montanans welcoming "outsiders". I am from the North East and started questioning our move because of some of the attitudes here. We are relocating due to my husbands health, as for "bring your own job" we are planning on buying a local bar in a tiny town close to the Canadian border. Sorry this is so "jumpy" on subject but I'm am trying to reply to them all...lol

Old 05-30-2009, 11:40 PM

7,540 posts, read 12,565,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill7719 View Post
If he's doing that, he must enjoy it. He's found a niche. He likely doesn't face a lot of competition. Certainly, this kind of work would be a way to stay in shape without having to spend time at a gym. But you're right....some people would look down on him and pass judgment because he's not in an "approved" career.
I'd contend that we need ditch diggers (and farmers and mechanics and all sorts of people who work with their hands) a lot more than we need rocket scientists (and lawyers and politicians and CEOs and all sorts of people who work with their minds). We can survive without the CEOs. Without the ditch diggers (and farmers etc.) sooner or later everything grinds to a halt, and everyone starves.

Old 05-31-2009, 05:22 AM

6,258 posts, read 12,884,343 times
[quote=chillybreeze;9062165]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
"Caesar Barakus the Zero" I'm laughing at that one, can I use it ?
That is hilarious.My husband will love that line. We are planning a move from Central Georgia to North Eastern Montana for many of the same reasons. We miss having "4" seasons a year,here we have 2, comfortable,and it's summer again. Plus,now that Obama is in Office,many fellow "black" members of Georgia have adopted the same,"better than royalty" attitude.I'm getting really sick of being told because of slavery I owe them something. You know what I say to that,My family lived in the North and didn't own slaves,and then remind them that there "own" people sold them. If your going to gripe,yell at them, not me.I'm glad to finally read some "native" Montanans welcoming "outsiders". I am from the North East and started questioning our move because of some of the attitudes here. We are relocating due to my husbands health, as for "bring your own job" we are planning on buying a local bar in a tiny town close to the Canadian border. Sorry this is so "jumpy" on subject but I'm am trying to reply to them all...lol
Welcome to the board, come visit on the porch.
BTW some of us are not native but we still love Montana and contribute to the tax rolls

Old 05-31-2009, 09:37 AM

3,145 posts, read 4,610,248 times
[quote=chillybreeze;9062165]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
"Caesar Barakus the Zero" I'm laughing at that one, can I use it ?
Nothing like northeastern Montana to get a good taste of the extremes of all 4 seasons.

One side of my family settled around the Wolf Point area. The winters there can be on the chilly side.

What town are you moving to?

Old 06-02-2009, 08:13 PM

1,219 posts, read 2,809,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
I'd contend that we need ditch diggers (and farmers and mechanics and all sorts of people who work with their hands) a lot more than we need rocket scientists (and lawyers and politicians and CEOs and all sorts of people who work with their minds). We can survive without the CEOs. Without the ditch diggers (and farmers etc.) sooner or later everything grinds to a halt, and everyone starves.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply...boy you must be keeping busy with all this!! anyway, yes, i meant both politically and socially conservative....i have to admit sometimes even a little too socially conservative...but you have the extremeists i think anywhere you go...both right and left.
Hi Montana Mom, sorry for the LONG delay. Things have been busy here this week. I know what you mean about extremists on either end. I can say that here in NY we certainly have a share of extreme liberals. I consider myself quite conservative though online I've at least seen some that even I might consider extremist.

Quote:
anyway, i think you would find pretty happy balance here (in general).
That definitely sounds good. That would be a nice break from the type of people around here.

Quote:
think a hand shake and your word are good enough,
That's a really nice thing to think there is still something like this left in America.

Quote:
i know, sounds a little hickish,
I don't think it's hickish. I know the liberal media tends to mention something like that in the context of a condescending sneer, but I think that if people are being responsible then there is nothing wrong with it.

Quote:
but did you know wild game is the healthiest leanest meat there is (other than most fish)....oh and minus all the hormones too!
Beyond the hormones, we have no idea what else is in the meat found at a grocery store. So, wild game is probably safer on a lot of fronts.

Quote:
i don't know what you're into as far as activities,
I guess I really like hiking a lot. (If I were to live in Glendive, I could see spending a lot of time in Makoshika State Park. I only allowed a day in Glendive on my last trip but spent hours at the park.) Photography is another area I really like. (In fact, with a new camera at the time of my last trip, Makoshika was where I seriously learned to use the functionality. It was an absolutely perfect day in terms of light.)

Quote:
so, many of the singles in the town do those things to get to know eachother.
That's good to know. With a lot of different activities, it would allow time to get to know others.

Quote:
nachos!
That's one thing I really like!

Quote:
does this all help? hopefully i am answering a few of your questions!
This definitely is very helpful! Thanks.

I've heard about the low end of the temperatures. In Glendive in particular, what would be the highest temperatures?

Also, can the winter heating be unreasonably high in terms of cost? I know that's a question that depends on a lot of factors such as the construction of where one lives, the temperature they keep the heat at (I'm the type that would keep it at a level to avoid the pipes freezing and that's about it), etc. But do people tend to remark about the high costs of heating?

Is wind a factor? I read about that a lot in the Wyoming board. From what they described, I don't really think I'd be bothered by the noise (though the phrase "sandblasting your car" may be more of a concern). But, I'd be curious if it's as much of an issue in Eastern MT as it seems to be in WY?

Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana