Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2007, 12:35 AM

1 posts, read 2,152 times

Advertisements

Howdy All!!

I am a Southern Iowan. I tried college for two whole semesters and decided that it just wasn't for me, right now.. The entire time I was away at school all I could think about was my horses and how I couldn't wait for the summer to roll around so that I could work and break away rope all summer..Working full-time during the day of course.. BUT my roping horse went crippled, I haven't been able to find a job(typical of southeast Iowa), and gas prices are breaking me(especially considering that I drive a '99 Ford F250 Gas-Hog).
Since I am not going back to school, I am looking to begin my new life as an adult(free of any financial support from my parents). I had made plans 4 years ago to move to Montana and go to college there but decided to stay in Iowa..
I am currently researching resources in the Montana area for employment, recreation, good family friendly towns to live in, and weather. I am planning on selling my truck either way to buy a reliable good gas-mileage car. I want to spend $3,000 of the money made off of my truck on a car, $1,000 to pay off credit cards(so that I can cut the bloodsuckers up lol), $500 to give to my Mom(just because), and $4,000 to help me get wherever I decide to pack up and go.
I am young so I am naturally ignorant, but I know enough to know that I need to research and have a solid plan before I decide to just pack up and drive.
I am asking for any little bit of info./help that I can get from anybody that is kind enough to give support.
**Before I move I WILL find a ranch(either horse, cattle, or dude ranch) to work for full-time as a Wrangler/horsehand!!!**

Some city areas I have looked at:
Livingston
Bozeman
Billings
Sydney

*What do you feel about these towns?
*Does anybody have connections to any Montana ranches?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 01:37 PM

504 posts, read 2,175,183 times
Default good luck

Hi there,

I just wanted to say that I did the same thing you did almost 20 years ago. I did fine, adn never regretted it! I DID have a job lined up, but it was a temporary job. I had some really anxious times being in a new place on unemployement pay, but only did it for 2 months, found a job, and after the first year, had enough commections to make it work for the next 15 years.

Talk to everyone you know, be gutsy and determined. You'll do fine!

If you're alone, as I was, you could rent a room in someone's house. That's what I did, then moved to a place with roomates, and so on...

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana