U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 03:28 PM

13 posts, read 46,571 times

Advertisements

Since I was 16 years old I have dreamed of moving to Montana. After years of vacationing and visiting Montana, my husband is getting transferred to Butte. Butte wasn't our first choice or our second for that matter-but we are grateful to be moving to a place that seemed like nothing more than a dream for so long! We are a one income family of four and are having a difficult time finding affordable homes in Butte with acreage. I am wondering if folks can give me information about Butte, the demographics, and which towns would be good alternatives for purchasing a home. Hubby will be working in Butte-but is willing to drive a bit. Any information is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2007, 04:22 PM

7,916 posts, read 16,790,127 times
I was born and raised in Butte and I visit there often. My Mother and stepfather both live there. Things are starting to improve in Butte after many years of losing population. It's about 35,000 or so people in Silver Bow County at the present time. The older part of town is up on the hill where the old mines were located. You'll see the huge Berkeley Pit has taken a big chunk out of it. That whole area is called uptown by the locals and the area to the south is called "the flats" (I guess because it's flat, they weren't very imaginative ). I think you could find a pretty wide range of housing prices in Butte and I believe you could find an affordable house there as opposed to other places. I think it's a very friendly place as well. If your job is in Butte I sure wouldn't drive from some other town. Butte is the largest town until to get to Bozeman which is 90 miles away and Helena is about 60 miles. It's a little colder than other places because the altitude is about a mile high. Anyway, I think things are improving there and it could be a good choice. Good luck to you.

Old 04-08-2007, 06:31 PM

373 posts, read 1,704,659 times
Butte is a friendly town, and you will probably fit in well after a short adjustment period. However, Butte is probably the most reasonable spot in the surrounding area in terms of land/housing prices. So, I would focus on that area or Anaconda. The other areas will be more, not less, expensive.

Old 04-08-2007, 06:54 PM

1,552 posts, read 5,534,672 times
If Butte won't cut head out towards Rocker and that area. Might be able to find something there and still not be to far away. Anaconda - Butte in winter would be nuts in my opinion.
Lots of parcels on the way towards Anaconda should be something there for ya somewhere.
Might have to rent if ya pushed for time until you get organized.

Old 04-09-2007, 05:44 AM

Thanks for replying. The problem I am having in Butte is the lack of decent houses. They are either dumps for cheap or super nice for way too much money. Plus, I don't want to live 'in town'. We almost made an offer on a home in Anaconda-but we are VERY concerned about the soil there. So, we are seriously considering Whitehall. One of the guys my husband works with commutes from Whitehalll to Butte. Does anyone know about the town of Whitehall-wha is the feel of this town? Thank again for all of the information!

Old 04-09-2007, 06:54 AM

1,552 posts, read 5,534,672 times
As for the soil in Anaconda, go to the library there in town. They have extensive shelves full of documents and such.
The golf course is built on a pile and remidiation has been done on several areas.
Like our property is 10 miles south of Anaconda, it has been tested and very light on any contamination.

You bascially need to fly in and review your options, over by the hot springs etc. look at Rocker etc.

Old 04-09-2007, 07:43 AM

373 posts, read 1,704,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinainOR View Post
Thanks for replying. The problem I am having in Butte is the lack of decent houses. They are either dumps for cheap or super nice for way too much money. Plus, I don't want to live 'in town'. We almost made an offer on a home in Anaconda-but we are VERY concerned about the soil there. So, we are seriously considering Whitehall. One of the guys my husband works with commutes from Whitehalll to Butte. Does anyone know about the town of Whitehall-wha is the feel of this town? Thank again for all of the information!
Whitenall is a cute little town. I think towns that size are great if you are going to have kids in school. It's nice because it's close to Butte, but it's also only an hour away from Bozeman. However, to drive from Whitehall to Butte involves going over a pretty nasty pass. I wouldn't want to do it in the winter.

Old 04-10-2007, 03:02 PM

26 posts, read 192,133 times
Just take the back road from Whitehall to Butte. It's a little longer and just two lanes, but not as steep and is well kept.

Old 04-10-2007, 03:19 PM

7,916 posts, read 16,790,127 times
Quote:
So, we are seriously considering Whitehall. One of the guys my husband works with commutes from Whitehalll to Butte. Does anyone know about the town of Whitehall-wha is the feel of this town? Thank again for all of the information!
My Step-Mother commuted from Whitehall to her job in Butte for about 30 years. I guess she got used to it but you do have a pass to go over and winter driving can be difficult even though it's a major interstate. I think Whitehall is a nice little town. I've spent alot of time there visiting her and my Father before they passed away. It's not very big but I would think you could find something that's not too expensive in that area. I agree with you about Butte and the housing although you can sometimes find a nice place for a reasonable price. There's really not many choices of towns to commute from. Deer Lodge is another one but personally I'd choose Whitehall first.

Old 04-11-2007, 11:03 AM

Thanks for all of the info! I can hardly wait to call Montana home...all I need now is to sell our OR home-which isn't going well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana