U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 05:30 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,586,819 times

Advertisements

I mean if people consider Pittsburgh a part of the Midwest, why not Eastern Montana?

Geographically speaking, Eastern Montana is definitely in the north-central United States.

In a lot of Eastern Montana, farming is more common than ranching.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 09:51 AM

7,540 posts, read 12,570,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
I mean if people consider Pittsburgh a part of the Midwest, why not Eastern Montana?

Geographically speaking, Eastern Montana is definitely in the north-central United States.

In a lot of Eastern Montana, farming is more common than ranching.

What do you think?
I always figured the "midwest" kinda depends on what you're talking about. Geographically, I consider it anywhere between the Mississippi River and the Continental Divide. Culturally, irrigated farming is definitely "midwest", but somewhere along the start of the high plains and badlands, where ranching takes over from dryland farming, it begins to merge with the "old west", which I also consider to stop at the Divide. West of the Divide is the "Pacific Northwest" in my book. Even when it's got cowboys and indians and suchlike, the flavour is different -- might be cuz of the mining and timber cultures, which are quite different from farming and ranching.

Anyway, that's my perception. Your eyeballs may vary.

Who the heck thinks Pittsburgh is in the Midwest??!

Trivia: Most film and TV that is set in NYC is actually filmed in Pittsburgh, because it's visually close enough to pass for NYC, and it's WAAAAAAAAY cheaper to film there, out of reach of the NYC unions. The Equalizer is one good example (all the NYC locations were actually Pittsburgh).

Old 06-07-2009, 09:34 AM

31 posts, read 85,575 times
Eastern Montana is very little like the Midwest. The midwest is flat corn country. E. Montana is high desert and its economy is based on cattle ranching and oil extraction/refinement. The midwest has many large cities; Montana has none. The Midwest in crowded, which E. Montana is not. The Midwest has a large black population; E. Montana does not. Well-educated people are not rare in the Midwest; in E. Montana they're not only rare, they're widely distrusted. The Midwest has none of the "cowboy mystique" that is ubiquitous in E. Montana.

On the whole, people in Montana generally are pretty hard-hearted and unempathetic. I don't know how that compares with the Midwest as a whole, but most people in Milwaukee seemed like that, too, when I lived there.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:29 AM

6,258 posts, read 12,886,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymoose View Post
Eastern Montana is very little like the Midwest. The midwest is flat corn country. E. Montana is high desert and its economy is based on cattle ranching and oil extraction/refinement. The midwest has many large cities; Montana has none. The Midwest in crowded, which E. Montana is not. The Midwest has a large black population; E. Montana does not. Well-educated people are not rare in the Midwest; in E. Montana they're not only rare, they're widely distrusted. The Midwest has none of the "cowboy mystique" that is ubiquitous in E. Montana.

On the whole, people in Montana generally are pretty hard-hearted and unempathetic. I don't know how that compares with the Midwest as a whole, but most people in Milwaukee seemed like that, too, when I lived there.
thanks for my morning laugh!

Old 06-08-2009, 08:29 AM

102 posts, read 239,024 times
I lived in Wisconsin and Montana for various periods in the 50's, 60's and 70's and visit both several times a year since. Interstate highways and TV have largely homogenized America, but to the extent people are different, it's because of the mythos, or stories they tell themselves. My granchildren in Montana have no sense of their ancestory, or interest. They could move to Illinois and not miss a beat, and vice versa.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:03 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,612,231 times
To me, the west starts in the western half of ND, SD, NE, KS,OK, & TX.

All up and down the US at this point the land and economy essentially shifts from mostly farming to mostly ranching.

There is nothing in eastern Montana that really resembles the midwestern farm country.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
There is nothing in eastern Montana that really resembles the midwestern farm country.
Dunno about now, but farmers around Billings used to grow a lot of corn. Surprised the heck out of me first time I saw that -- if the horizon was flat, I coulda sworn I was in Iowa!!

Old 06-10-2009, 06:49 AM

6,023 posts, read 11,868,216 times
The "Golden Triangle" part of central Montana may be in the interior west but the towns and people are very mid-western like. There is also much more farming than ranching.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
The "Golden Triangle" part of central Montana may be in the interior west but the towns and people are very mid-western like. There is also much more farming than ranching.
Yep.. Montana is a transition state encompassing both Midwest and Old West, farming and ranching.

This is a good thing, really -- gives MT a more diverse and flexible agriculture base.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:56 PM

102 posts, read 239,024 times
If one uses the agricultural measure the west begins at the 100th meridian, i.e., west of which irrigation is required, or as someone mentioned dryland farming. I'm reading a fascinating book "Cadillac Desert" which tells the history of the west, or water, which in the end becomes interchangeable. It took a lot of guts and water to move west of the 100th meridian in the 19th century which I think shaped the people, that is until the latest generation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana