U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 11:19 AM

1,219 posts, read 2,810,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtboy View Post
Also what is wrong with "NOT" going to college! I know lots of people who make a decent living who never went to college. There is somehting wrong with the big push from all HS and counselor that YOU HAVE TO GO TO COLLEGE. This is what all school systems push. I am to the opinion that if you don't feel like you would fit into college or you can't pursue your dreams in college..... DON"T GO. But seems that is the norm today, so in turn with this push the HS diploma means nothing. The BA or BS means what the HS diploma used to, and you have college graduates working jobs that HS graduates should be doing. This starts a chain that will continue until the Masters will be the norm not the BA or BS. Just my opinion.
I agree totally. I'd suspect education funding has a lot to do with this attitude that school counselors have.

Seems like most colleges are liberal politically also, so the more people they can get on their side, the happier they are..

...Until they realize that the people they (most times) disagree with, are also the ones providing them the lifestyle they like...

Ranchers, farmers, equipment operators, plumbers, police officers, firefighters, electricians, carpenters, roofers, mechanics, soldiers, sailors, commercial pilots, truck drivers, etc... usually don't have as many with degrees as you would find in fields like business administration, marketing, accounting etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 01:29 PM

1,436 posts, read 2,918,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf232 View Post
Ranchers, farmers, equipment operators, plumbers, police officers, firefighters, electricians, carpenters, roofers, mechanics, soldiers, sailors, commercial pilots, truck drivers, etc... usually don't have as many with degrees as you would find in fields like business administration, marketing, accounting etc...
and all the fields creating all the economic and worldly problems ! Whats that tell you .

Old 06-19-2009, 09:43 AM

843 posts, read 1,132,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay
Well in my experience, people do judge others based on looks. That is just the way it is. So if you're fat, people are going to think that you eat too much.
I agree with you here halfway. Not everyone judges based on looks...I like to think I dont. Still, just because people do a bad thing, does that make it ok to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by broz
Correct, infact it was not bad 3 years ago. Seems it all started to slide into the crapper toward the end of 2006. To be exact the first Tuesday of November...
Maybe. To be totally honest with you, I didnt notice much of a change until about 5 years ago, when gas prices skyrocketed and everything started getting more expensive. While every news organization was clammoring about how great the economy was because stock prices in certain companies were soaring, common folks on the bottom were paying out the back end just to get bills paid and get to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay
All lynchings, genocides, beatings, aside, because those things still occur all around the globe from Mexico, to Yugoslavia, to Colombia, to China, to Afghanistan, to the Sudan.
I agree with you here too (not many talk about how bad it is in Mexico right now to be honest). The difference is, we americans strived to move past that phase. Because we are better. The same goes for womens sufferage, voting rights etc. Sure, some wanted to keep us in the same old ways, but they dont work, hence we moved forward.

Timber and Broz - I wasnt attacking montana or saying it needs to modernize of 'get educated'. I like the state as well, so do many others, hence why I am simply saying that change is inevitable, because plenty of people (among them the educated elsewhere) are looking for nice places to plant their roots, and Montana, because of the very things you guys compliment the state with (and the fact that a college degree means more in a state with fewer college grads like MT than a state with countless like MN or WA).

Change is inevitable. It cannot be avoided, especially for a place with an economic and social appeal, like Montana.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:09 AM

6,023 posts, read 11,872,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tindo80 View Post
(and the fact that a college degree means more in a state with fewer college grads like MT than a state with countless like MN or WA).
It really depends on what field the persons degree is for. Lots of folks come to Montana with a degree only to find that the only job they can get is slinging hash or changing diapers on old cantankerous codgers.
A degree in the medical fields or fish biology may be quite useful. A degree in art history may only be good for butt wipe.

Old 06-19-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
It really depends on what field the persons degree is for. Lots of folks come to Montana with a degree only to find that the only job they can get is slinging hash or changing diapers on old cantankerous codgers.
A degree in the medical fields or fish biology may be quite useful. A degree in art history may only be good for butt wipe.
Definitely. A person with a marketing or accounting major and a minor in business management or something just might find themselves working for 12 bucks an hour, while a person just out of the military working for BLM, USFS or a private fire fighting outfit or something might see 70K+. It all depends on what skills are needed and how much people are willing to pay for those skills.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:27 PM

193 posts, read 407,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tindo80 View Post
Change is inevitable. It cannot be avoided,.
I am not against change, in fact I feel change is needed and I would really like to see things change BACK to the way they use to be.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:11 PM

7,540 posts, read 12,573,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
I am not against change, in fact I feel change is needed and I would really like to see things change BACK to the way they use to be.

Now there's change I could believe in

Old 06-20-2009, 01:02 AM

305 posts, read 777,711 times
Quote:
That would be the equivalent of saying (pointing it the other way) that all flannel wearing, country listening, beard having, rural living montanans are klan/aryan nations related monsters waiting in the rafters armed to the teeth to kill native americans, mexicans, blacks and jews.
Not necessarily... I would contend that people dress a certain way because they ARE wanting people to judge them or look at them a certain way. Flannel has its uses but a side worn baseball cap is good for what? I suppose keeping the rain off one side of your head or baggy pants could be good for movement during a skateboard maneuver but totally useless walking down the street when one hand always is used to hold up your pants! It's a lifestyle they are trying to portray. Whether or not they actually are living that lifestyle would not be known without getting to know the person, like you said, but with the dress they are giving a message to all who see them.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:02 AM

843 posts, read 1,132,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman2007 View Post
Not necessarily... I would contend that people dress a certain way because they ARE wanting people to judge them or look at them a certain way. Flannel has its uses but a side worn baseball cap is good for what? I suppose keeping the rain off one side of your head or baggy pants could be good for movement during a skateboard maneuver but totally useless walking down the street when one hand always is used to hold up your pants! It's a lifestyle they are trying to portray. Whether or not they actually are living that lifestyle would not be known without getting to know the person, like you said, but with the dress they are giving a message to all who see them.

I dont want to go off topic too much here, but a baseball caps function is to cover the head. Wearing it sideways still serves that function. Flannel may have a purpose, but one can acheive that purpose a number of other ways.

Likewise, youre not taking into account any of the other disclaimers I gave.

The point is, judge as ye wish to be judged. If a person doesnt mind some person treating you like some wrongfully (or rightfully, but in the exception not the rule) achieved stereotype, then I guess it would make sense that they would have no problems judging others as such.

I personally hate it when people do it to me, only a bit more than I hate it when people do it to others.

Old 06-21-2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post

Tried to rep yopu for that one... but alas I must spread it around again... here's a instead!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or