Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 11:54 PM

8 posts, read 40,943 times

Advertisements

Howdy all, My wife and I are considering the possibility of moving to Western Montana, We now live in the small rural town of Eagar, Arizona.
We are not “Big City” folks, Eagar only has about 4,000 residents, our thinking of moving is more kind of an attitude and quality of life thing …We are gun enthusiasts, We hunt and we fish, But we aren’t nut cases or wacko’s… We’re just normal rural folks.
We own a small custom leather working company specializing in Historically authentic old west gun leather, concealed carry and field carry gear as well as saddlery and tack. So we would be moving our business with us.
We live at 7,100 feet in the white mountains in eastern Arizona near New Mexico, So we are used to cold and snow.
Back in the mid 80’s I lived in Kootenai, Idaho and spent a lot of time in Libby, Montana. But it’s been a long time and I really don’t remember much of it.
I’m in my 50’s and we are looking for a quiet affordable place to live and run our small business for the rest of our lives … And we do kind of like the “Montana Attitude” as of late.
So, What say ye’all … Would folks like us fare ok in Montana ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 08:01 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times
Good Morning Stitch45
Yeah, you would probably do well here. We really need good quality saddlemakers, and holsters as well for that matter.

Do you know where you want to move to here? If you are looking for affordable, but close to markets, there are numerous small towns that are inexpensive to live in but within an hours drive of larger cities.

Townsend, 1/2 hour from Helena, 1 hour from Bozeman, 1 hour from Butte.
Big Timber, 1 hour from Bozeman, 1 hour from Billings.
Harlowtown, little over an hour from Billings or Great Falls.

Do you plan a storefront or sell at gun shows, farmers markets, craft events or rodeo/western events?

With a little more information we might be able to give you some specific information to help make your business and your move a success.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:59 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,220,389 times
If you liked the NW part of the state, my sister & her husband moved to Thompson Falls to retire a couple of years ago. It is beautiful there and they love it. It's not as close to bigger towns as the above mentioned towns are, but still isn't that far from Missoula, Kalispell, Coeur d'Alene (Idaho). If you like the "mountain" setting with the elevation still being quite low, T Falls is great for that. Nice weather and green for the most part.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:21 PM

Well right now we are "Eyeballing" quite a few places from the Eastern slopes west.
As far as our work, I have a shop here in Eagar, I do a lot of gun shows and western festivals ... I even promote two gun shows a year here just because I want a show here in town, I don't do it for money I do it for my friends and to promote our little town, We are VERY Community minded people.
The problem is that we live in Arizona's "Resort" area and housing and land cost are outragious ... We're looking for a place where we will fit in to live out our years.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:50 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,476,118 times
Well I am from the other side of Arizona but have property up in Clear Creek south of Anaconda. The upper section is not year around access but down in the Aspen section that is accessible. The biggest thing we advise most is get in your vehicle and travel and explore and find what suits your fancy. year around access, off or on the grid is the area in a superfund site? so lots to find out before you jump north.

Old 06-12-2009, 06:14 PM

22 posts, read 82,408 times
I would caution against western Montana. In my experience there, I found that many of them are the most close-minded people I have ever met. i was only partially accepted because I was at least from Montana. If you are from out of state expect it to count against you for jobs and expect to not have friends for a long time. Many places east of the divide on the other hand, are not like this, although I would also caution against Bozeman due to the high cost of living.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:39 PM

120 posts, read 378,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagarto View Post
I would caution against western Montana. In my experience there, I found that many of them are the most close-minded people I have ever met. i was only partially accepted because I was at least from Montana. If you are from out of state expect it to count against you for jobs and expect to not have friends for a long time. Many places east of the divide on the other hand, are not like this, although I would also caution against Bozeman due to the high cost of living.
My wife and I are from out of state and have had the opposite experience in western Montana. We spend a good deal of time in Hamilton, Missoula, Whitefish, and Kalispell (where we currently live) and everyone was and still is exceptionally friendly. Of course, when we walk in someplace, we don't yell out, "Yo! We are from a superior state to this so ya'll just suck it up and treat us with the respect we deserve!". And, if we did yell that out, they probably would treat us with the respect we deserved -- kicking us out on our butts.

Personally, I've found that the best way to get friends is by being friendly. Works every time everywhere.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodderman View Post
Personally, I've found that the best way to get friends is by being friendly. Works every time everywhere.
I have to agree, And with the line of work I do, And all the gun shows and events I do, I make friends pretty fast.
I've always believed in becoming "Part" of where you live.
Moving to Montana for us would be to Become part of Montana and enjoy it for what it is ... And NOT to change a damn thing about it.
Thompson Falls looks VERY interesting ... Need to get up there and see it soon ... I hear they call that area "The Banana Belt".
Also, As Arizona is an "Open Carry" state putting my pistol on is kinda like putting my boots on ... Never leave home without it, How are Montana's gun carry laws?

Old 06-13-2009, 04:49 AM

120 posts, read 378,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch45 View Post
How are Montana's gun carry laws?
They're pretty good. Open carry is unrestricted in most public areas and enough people still do so that no one will go crazy if they see you do so. I think, however, that Montana still has a preemption law allowing local towns to prohibit both open and concealed carry in public parks and government buildings while on foot.

Anyone can carry (no permit needed) a concealed firearm when they are outside the boundary of a city, town, or logging camp. Hikers, campers, ranchers, etc., can carry concealed firearms without permits. Concealed carry in Montana is defined as carrying or bearing concealed upon one's person a weapon that is wholly or partially covered by wearing apparel. Concealed carry permits can be obtained by people who have been residents of the state for at least 6 months. Montana recognizes concealed carry permits from certain other states.

Loaded firearms can be carried in vehicles as long as they are not concealed on one's person in the vehicle (a concealed carry permit may override this). So, you can carry a loaded firearm in plain view, in the glove box, console box, or gun case.

Note though that all of the above pretty much goes away the second you step one foot inside a national park. Same as every other state. That may change in 2010.

Old 06-13-2009, 10:00 AM

That sounds pretty much the same as AZ, Except there is no preemption in Arizona, State law is law period.
I do have an Arizona CWP and I'm pretty sure Montana recognizes it.
I've read a lot on these boards about an "Attitude" difference in people from the Eastern part of the state to the Western part ... Is this true?
And if so, What's the difference?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana