Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2009, 02:49 PM

182 posts, read 467,910 times

Advertisements

lol. If you can't already tell. I am sort of lost. I kind of need to know what I need to do, but I need a direction to go in. Montana seems like a lovely state (I know you hear it all the time). It's not set in stone that Montana is where I will end up, but after talking to my hubby at length about the future, we have both decided we would definitely like to live in Montana if the occasion were to arise.

I am a wildlife management major and should graduate (if all goes well), by December 2010. I am married, we will be 22 and 25 when the move comes and we could possibly be bringing a 4 year old with us. (My niece, long story.) I want to work for the Department of the Interior, but specifically the Bureau of Land Management.

We have both lived in Texas our whole lives, but I have travelled through the rocky mountains extensively and know what the weather can be like to a certain extent. We would really like to know exactly what we need to be looking out for and things to keep in mind.

We don't know much about moving long distances and the housing market and just want to be put on the right path.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 08:21 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,013,705 times
It always isn't possible to do a lot of visiting a few places before moving but it sure helps in preventing a big mistake. My advice would be to lock in jobs in areas you think you would like to live. You are still young and my guess is that you may not own a lifetimes worth of possessions yet. It's easy to become a "pack-rat" and after many years, trying to move can be a major chore. Don't collect too much stuff at first until you are sure you made the right choice. It isn't that big of a deal to move when your still young and you may have to live in a few places until you feel that you are really home for good.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:07 PM

I understand that. We moved alot when I was a child. We hope we can travel to a few areas to check them out.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmcnally View Post
We don't know much about moving long distances and the housing market and just want to be put on the right path.
Alrighty then, just follow the yellow brick road. Just remember if you move to Montana you won't be in Kansas anymore, um, I mean Texas.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:47 AM

Lol thanks. I hate Texas weather and don't mind snow at all.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmcnally View Post
We have both lived in Texas our whole lives, but I have travelled through the rocky mountains extensively and know what the weather can be like to a certain extent.
If the photo below looks good to you (where's the friggin road !) and if you can deal with temps down to 35 or 40 degrees below zero (not counting wind chill) then Montana just may be the place for you !

Old 06-19-2009, 08:55 AM

lol Who knows. We will just have to see, but it looks like fun to me.

Old 06-19-2009, 04:08 PM

What is fun when you're young can turn into a pain in the patootie after you get to be fifty or sixty and beyond.
Here are two more winter time photos, the first one is the snow in my tiny backyard here in Conrad from one storm. The second photo is a picture of a rare natural occurrence. They are NOT snow covered round hay bales. They are called snow rolls or snow rollers. The wind forms them much the same way a child (or adult !) makes the large snowballs for a snow man. The wind flops some snow over from the snow surface and then flops it over again until it becomes round and it just keeps getting larger until it gets too heavy for the wind to push any more.

http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss174/nomadiyak/IMG_0059.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-24-2009, 10:03 AM

8,084 posts, read 15,098,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
If the photo below looks good to you (where's the friggin road !) and if you can deal with temps down to 35 or 40 degrees below zero (not counting wind chill) then Montana just may be the place for you !
There's a road?? And where's my house??

Hey, what camera do you have that tolerates cold like that? My little Fujifilm (rebadged Olympus) closes up shop when it hits about 50 degrees!!

That's one thing about the old film cameras... they were expensive to operate but they didn't care what the weather was like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
View detailed profiles of: