Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 07:58 AM

8 posts, read 13,261 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am a writing a book set in eastern Mt. in the 30s and would love to hear folks' memories of those times/places.

A major part of the story has some 12-year-old girls planning to hike to Lone Indian Butte from Reedpoint. Is that do-able? I'm not a camper/hiker, and neither are these girls. What would they have needed? Any help from you outdoorsy folks would be much appreciated.

Thanks

pj lyons
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 09:34 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,153,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjlyons View Post
Hello,

I am a writing a book set in eastern Mt. in the 30s and would love to hear folks' memories of those times/places.

A major part of the story has some 12-year-old girls planning to hike to Lone Indian Butte from Reedpoint. Is that do-able? I'm not a camper/hiker, and neither are these girls. What would they have needed?
An Indian guide

I don't know Lone Indian Butte specifically and my memories of MT only go back to 1960, but... Big thing to remember is that in rough country with no roads, even experienced hikers in good condition may make only 4 or 5 miles a day. A pack of girls with no experience might be lucky to make one or two miles a day in the same country.

Water becomes a problem almost immediately if you don't have a stream to follow, and do remember the 1930s were drought years, so once the spring thaw is over, there might not have been much (or ANY) open water other than the Yellowstone river. Rivers would have been bridged only at major crossings (don't know historically where they were in that area, but the MT Highway Dept. can probably help you), tho in late summer might have been fordable on foot in spots.

Camping gear then was heavy, bulky, and awkward, and most people couldn't afford it for its own sake.

[goes off, looks at map] That's a distance of about 15 miles as the crow flies, or about 25 miles on foot depending on how much rerouting you have to do around tough rocks and such. From Reed Point to the butte -- Have to cross the Yellowstone River (I don't know if the bridge on Reed Point Road existed then), follow the valley due north and upstream into the canyons, up Wullum Gulch, then over the rocks (they look nasty-steep on the terrain view) and finally you're within a day's walk of the butte. Mind the rattlesnakes.

If they're not good navigators -- the terrain isn't of the simple kind where you can just follow upstream or downstream to get where you want to be. Once you get to the north end of the valley, the land kinks around in all directions.

I'd say what you're really looking at is a bunch of 12YO girls lost somewhere in the upper reaches of Wullum Gulch.

lone indian butte, mt - Google Maps

Old 06-18-2009, 02:31 PM

Smile thanks

Thanks! That's the sort of info I need and can't find here in MI

pj

Old 06-18-2009, 02:43 PM

Welcome. I think we have some members living down in the general area, perhaps they'll be along later and can give you more specifics on the possible routes. I doubt it's changed much since the 1930s, other than whether the bridge existed yet, and how far up the valley that road went.

From the satellite view it looks like all the steep draws toward the top of the gulch are heavily timbered. In that part there could be deer, elk, bear, cougar, bobcat, etc. (probably not wolves) -- deer and elk during rut are a lot more dangerous than anything else, if you get in their way. Predators aren't likely to take after a noisy group of girls.

So, do you plan on getting your girls lost?

Old 06-18-2009, 08:50 PM

I had no idea it would be so arduous. They probably will get lost. Or if they're like me, they might chicken out <grin>.

As for the bridge, my mom says there was a bridge, but just one lane. (But then again, one day she said there were no grocery stores in Reed Point, and the next she said there were 2). However, a written account from an uncle says there was a bridge, also.

thanks again!

pj

Old 06-19-2009, 01:31 AM

If they were my girls, they'd probably tramp up to the foot of the steep part, stare at it a while, decide it looks like an inordinate amount of work for a disproportionately small gain (except for one or two argumentative types who disagree, and keep on climbing), and go find some other trouble to get into instead. And one group or the other is never seen again. If I was feeling perverse, the ones who DIDN'T climb the rocks would vanish. Which group did the Indian guide go with, and why did we find his body floating in the river?

I write too, but SF set far, far away... so I can make up my terrain as I go along... and yes, my people DO sometimes get spectacularly lost.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:26 AM

Quote:
I write too, but SF set far, far away... so I can make up my terrain as I go along... and yes, my people DO sometimes get spectacularly lost.
Cool! So you "get it."

I wasn't planning on killing off any of THESE girls--just the little sister that follows them. Am thinking maybe I'll send them to Monument Butte instead. In studying the map, I see they need to go east so the bridge won't be on the way and little sister can drown. And big sister can have tons of guilt and angst.

pj

Old 06-22-2009, 09:03 AM

503 posts, read 1,454,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
If they were my girls, they'd probably tramp up to the foot of the steep part, stare at it a while, decide it looks like an inordinate amount of work for a disproportionately small gain (except for one or two argumentative types who disagree, and keep on climbing), and go find some other trouble to get into instead. And one group or the other is never seen again. If I was feeling perverse, the ones who DIDN'T climb the rocks would vanish. Which group did the Indian guide go with, and why did we find his body floating in the river?

Now I want to read more! lol

Quote:
Cool! So you "get it."

I wasn't planning on killing off any of THESE girls--just the little sister that follows them. Am thinking maybe I'll send them to Monument Butte instead. In studying the map, I see they need to go east so the bridge won't be on the way and little sister can drown. And big sister can have tons of guilt and angst.

pj
Sounds like a great idea.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Cool! So you "get it."

pj
Tee hee, good ol' character sadism Yeah, that sounds like a more reasonable goal for a day's hike (rather than a week's expedition) and a good deal more likely to result in "where'd lil'sis run off to??" while she's still close enough behind that IT'S ALL MY FAULT rather than coming along on the late train.

I like what Bujold said about how she plots stuff: "First I put the character in the very worst situation for that character -- and then I make it worse."

I don't do anything so formal... more like get jerked along in the story's wake, yelling, "Hey, wait for me! No, don't do that! Stop!!" I have no control over my main character at all anymore... he does whatever he damn pleases and if I don't like it that's tough!

Old 06-23-2009, 07:58 AM

I set up a path and let my characters pick their way through it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana