U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 05:10 PM

6,488 posts, read 7,480,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodai View Post
Thanks guys for all the interesting replies so far. Perhaps my definition of "libertarian" is not the classical one, but I do know that I dislike big and medium size government, the type most Americans seem to crave nowadays.
I'm not much on dogmatic definitions of political views myself. But "libertarian" has been somewhat tainted by dogma taking precedent over practical realworld concerns, which is part of why I don't identify that way, even tho I'm a small-gov't/minimal-taxes type.

Quote:
This brings me to another question I have. I know that the governor of Montana is a Democrat and I assume Democrats serve in local and state government as well. Is it safe to say that these Democrats are quite different from the liberal Democrats I am familiar with from the East Coast?
What gets elected as a Democrat in MT would be a mod-to-center Republican anywhere else. But I think this is going to change (not for the better) unless good from-the-people candidates are available in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 05:19 PM

24 posts, read 34,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
What gets elected as a Democrat in MT would be a mod-to-center Republican anywhere else. But I think this is going to change (not for the better) unless good from-the-people candidates are available in the future.
That's what I figured. Problem is, moderate to center Republicans are often just as bad as so called "moderate" Democrats. That's why I stopped calling myself a Republican since I could scarcely tell the difference anymore.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:33 PM

6,488 posts, read 7,480,582 times
Quote:
That's what I figured. Problem is, moderate to center Republicans are often just as bad as so called "moderate" Democrats. That's why I stopped calling myself a Republican since I could scarcely tell the difference anymore.
Can't disagree there... especially when you look at D.C.

Every culture sometimes forgets itself and becomes driven by fringe interests, and that applies to political parties too. I still call myself a Republican, tho -- I think we have more power if we can rebuild the party to its original ideals, than we would as a million disparate voices.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:43 PM

846 posts, read 800,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tindo80 View Post
You retort that you do not bother reading up on political philosophies, then counter with a 20th century individualistic post-anarchist novelist (different than libertarian...though unless you have read actual libertarian authors and more than one work of Rand, you probably do not know that), an NeAmericanist Neoconservative-style libertarian (as I mentioned earlier) institute and, as granted, A libertarianist leaning politician who runs on the non-libertarian ticket (which happens to be in my home state).
You may as well call me an autonomistic communo-syndicalist...something you probably do not know what it is, yet the words seem like something you would disagree with. (Hint, find and read a bit of Hegel and Malatesta if you you wish to reply to that).

Sorry if I came down hard on you, but this country has too many jingo shouting, loud talking but little listening people already. I have little time and patience for the uninformed or misinformed.

LMAO. This is why I have little time and patience for people from the Twin Cities. What drivel.

Let us know when the space shuttle lands tindo. LOLs.

And for the record, I'm an Anarcho-Capitalist.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Can't disagree there... especially when you look at D.C.

Every culture sometimes forgets itself and becomes driven by fringe interests, and that applies to political parties too. I still call myself a Republican, tho -- I think we have more power if we can rebuild the party to its original ideals, than we would as a million disparate voices.
I do agree with you. Having lived and worked in the Washington DC metro area most of my adult life, it is easy to forget that there still are honest people in politics. Politicians who hold on to their core beliefs and their mission of serving their constituents instead of becoming intoxicated with power, greed and corruption. I would happily count myself a Republican again if the party went back to its original principals of small government, low taxes, pro-individual liberty, etc.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:09 PM

What do you guys think of the Kalispell area? How is the economy and the cost of living in that area? It's one of the areas we're considering.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:25 PM

6,259 posts, read 8,562,015 times
What was the OP's original question?
Maybe you want to start a new thread with infor on an area>
You sure got em talking..... Come visit on the porch.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
What was the OP's original question?
Maybe you want to start a new thread with infor on an area>
You sure got em talking..... Come visit on the porch.
Yeah, I might just do that. I really would love to hear opinions on the Kalispell area as it is at the top of our short list.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:31 PM

24 posts, read 36,456 times
Default examples of liberals imposing their values

Coould you give some examples of what you are talking about??

Old 07-01-2009, 08:38 PM

6,259 posts, read 8,562,015 times
Quote:
Yeah, I might just do that. I really would love to hear opinions on the Kalispell area as it is at the top of our short list.
Here is an older thread on the area:
Where should we live?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana