Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 11:17 AM

24 posts, read 61,276 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are seriously contemplating relocating to Montana from the East Coast. We have vacationed in the state several times, most recently last month, and feel it would be the ideal place for us. We currently reside in North Carolina and have pretty much lived on the East Coast all of our lives. We are not Republican or Democrat; I would classify our political ideology as libertarian. We value personal liberty and the freedom to live our lives as we see fit above all else and despise large, intrusive government such as what we have now in Washington and much of the East Coast. We are strong supporters of the 2nd Amendment and love the shooting sports; something that is becoming increasingly difficult to do where we live now. This is a partial list of the things we dislike about the East Coast: high taxes, high crime, corrupt politics & politicians, pollution, overcrowding, traffic congestion, filthy streets and highways, loss of personal freedom, etc. etc. Yes, I realize that every place has some of these negatives, but not to the same extent!

Many of the areas we have lived in, specifically Virginia and North Carolina, were once much more conservative and valued civil liberties and freedom over big government. They were low tax states where you could start a business without mountains of bureaucratic red tape and endless “fees”. This has changed dramatically in the last 10-15 years as those with a liberal ideology have moved in from northern states such as Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts, etc. They’ve brought with them the same failed policies that made them move from wherever it was they came from in the first place! I mean, this ideology has worked so well in places like New York City, Chicago, Washington DC, Los Angeles, etc., why not share it with others! So, it is with some dismay that I’ve read that the very same phenomenon is happening in Montana. Liberals from California and elsewhere are apparently doing the very same thing to Montana that they’ve done to Virginia and North Carolina. So the question becomes is Montana still a good place for people like us that value personal liberty, small government, gun owner rights, and the citizen’s right to enjoy nature without fear of a lawsuit by environmentalists more concerned with a rodent than human beings? I've read enough to know to avoid Missoula and Bozeman. What cities should we consider that have more traditional Montana values?

Last edited by Asmodai; 06-26-2009 at 11:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 11:21 AM

8,083 posts, read 15,084,156 times
Well, I'd say the more people like yourself come to Montana, the more chance we have to crowd out the new California-style liberals, particularly at the ballot box.

And I'd say... just about anywhere in the central to eastern part of the state would suit you.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:30 PM

6,023 posts, read 13,996,664 times
Hey Rez, you aren't implying that western Montana is lost to the "Californicators" already are you ?
By the way when are you going to move back ? Property prices and rents are still fairly reasonable around my neck of the prairie !

Old 06-27-2009, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Hey Rez, you aren't implying that western Montana is lost to the "Californicators" already are you ?
By the way when are you going to move back ? Property prices and rents are still fairly reasonable around my neck of the prairie !
Ha, Missoula was lost back in the early hippie era!!

When...?? when the money and the property come together... been eyeing a piece near Fort Benton, dunno if it's gonna work out. My aunt is supposed to go vet it for me but hasn't gotten to it yet.

Old 06-27-2009, 03:26 PM

369 posts, read 1,449,578 times
Asmodai,

I like your thoughts about things but third party movements are a haven for those who want to lose elections. We have several brands here in Montana, the Libertarians, the Constitution Party who tend to cause Republicans to lose elections by pulling votes. Get over it, third parties will never, ever win an election where it matters. Take your great conservative ideas and help rebuild the Republican Party in Montana.

Welcome.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:55 PM

36 posts, read 94,991 times
Asmodai,

I am in a similar situation except I am from the central part of Michigan. However, I am only 19 yrs old and thinking about my future and where I want to settle. Montana is a very strong consideration for me because of my political views (libertarian) particularly my value of the 2nd Amendment. I would like to live in an area that has some mountains but also some greenery and somewhat fertile land so I could have a garden. Does this combination exist in Montana? I have never been there before. Any suggestions?

Old 06-29-2009, 02:27 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,398,402 times
Default Montana and openness?

There's nothing wrong with being a liberal. - We should all learn to get along with one another - regardless of our polictical views. I have friends who are both republican, democrat, libertarian, and some who dont even care about politics. - I have gay , straight, bi-sexual friends, and atheist friends. I think we should welcome everyone regardless of their political views, race, religions, sexual orientation.

Just my .02 cents

I home Montana is welcoming to all people?

Old 06-29-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzfan View Post
Asmodai,

I like your thoughts about things but third party movements are a haven for those who want to lose elections. We have several brands here in Montana, the Libertarians, the Constitution Party who tend to cause Republicans to lose elections by pulling votes. Get over it, third parties will never, ever win an election where it matters. Take your great conservative ideas and help rebuild the Republican Party in Montana.

Welcome.
I have to agree with that. My views tend toward the libertarian end of the spectrum, but I don't see that a Libertarian candidate has a solid chance (it happens but not enough to change anything) nor that he'll have enough clout if he does get elected, since political strength is in numbers -- so if you really want to make a difference, better to help rebuild the Republican Party to the ideals that it used to represent.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:59 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,566,721 times
Default Montana Alliance for Liberty (M-A-L)

Asmodai, Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site is an association generated to assist liberty loving people who are considering moving to Montana or its sister Triad states of Idaho and Wyoming. M-A-L will help its members in locating desirable areas to move to, and in working within the existing social, cultural, economic, and political systems.

You can subscribe to the M-A-L eMail list by going here: Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site.

Last edited by Yac; 08-11-2020 at 08:50 AM..

Old 06-29-2009, 08:20 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,158,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamworksSKG View Post
There's nothing wrong with being a liberal. - We should all learn to get along with one another - regardless of our polictical views. I have friends who are both republican, democrat, libertarian, and some who dont even care about politics. - I have gay , straight, bi-sexual friends, and atheist friends. I think we should welcome everyone regardless of their political views, race, religions, sexual orientation.

Just my .02 cents

I hope Montana is welcoming to all people?
I agree with being open to all kinds of people, so long as they don't try to force their views on others, and especially with changing the laws of the land. Believe it or not, I also have friends of mixed religions, races, and even sexual orientation. We choose to agree to disagree on certain things and that's fine.

However:

It's usually the liberals that try with all their effort to "force" people to adjust their lives to suit their way of thinking. Liberals come in, and then soon follows more legal restrictions, land access restrictions, limitations to personal freedoms, etc... That's not cool at all.

It's one thing to be open to others, and another to let people change a place we love into something different. I'm all for live and let live, but get ready for a fight if you come in trying to change our way of life to suit your wants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana