U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 07:03 PM

4 posts, read 12,657 times

Advertisements

We can't find any around. Does anybody know of any that are in the area? Even if they are really small its better then nothing. Were stuck driving around on the streets and its getting old.

Any suggestions would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 07:50 PM

17,948 posts, read 22,745,702 times
I drive mine daily. Are you looking for particular trails?

Old 07-09-2009, 04:20 AM

61 posts, read 226,018 times
There is a trail system up Blacktail Mtn that is 4x4 also. Hubbart Res has a really good system that goes around it. Some north of Columbia Falls and top part of Koocanusa Res in the spring when res. is low. Other than that, the trails keep getting shut down. Which is very sad! We ride as a family and love atv trails, but have been disappointed after moving here there wasn't very many places to ride. If the trails were made for atvs and groups were able to maintain/keep clean there wouldn't be any problems. As liberal as WA is, there were maintained trails all over in NW part of the state. For some reason it is worse here in MT for atv friendly land. Good luck to you!

Old 07-09-2009, 08:00 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,776,974 times
If you find your way to the west side of Hubbart keep track of where you go, a person can get freaking lost over there.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:11 PM

4 posts, read 12,657 times
We found some trails around strawberry mountain, some are overgrown but for the most part it seems to be a good area. I was looking online and I cant seem to figure out where the Hubbart Res is, it sounds like a good area to ride we just cant seem to find it.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:26 PM

17,948 posts, read 22,745,702 times
Delorme has a Gazeteer. Atlas of the state. It's about 70 pages or so. But it does show you all the trails. I have one for Wyoming, don't have one for Montana yet but I know they print one. Worth the bucks if it's anything like the Wyoming atlas.

Old 07-13-2009, 03:12 AM

Hubbart is out west of Kalispell. I just looked it up on the map on google and it is just past Lake Rogers heading west on Hwy 2. You turn south on Hubbart Dam Road that has a sign for Wilderness Treatment Center. I am sure as stated above, you probably can get lost. Alot of trails heading every direction. We took our GPS and stayed close to the water.

We have road Strawberry area since we live near there, but when it got to brushy, we stopped. Our kids can ride, but we didn't want to deal with running into motorcycles coming down. Did the trails look like someone has taken the time to make them alittle wider? A few people have tried to get a atv club put together than can go out and maintain trails, but no one wants to take charge.

Old 07-13-2009, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Delorme has a Gazeteer. Atlas of the state. It's about 70 pages or so. But it does show you all the trails. I have one for Wyoming, don't have one for Montana yet but I know they print one. Worth the bucks if it's anything like the Wyoming atlas.

We have one that we bought when we moved here....not up to date! We were looking for campgrounds Memorial weekend using that map and what is listed as a campground isn't always a campground. One that is listed is closed down near Dickey Lake. Other than that, we haven't had any issues. Great maps though! We have one for ID, WA and MT. They have all come in handy when we lived there!

Old 07-13-2009, 07:31 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,776,974 times
I used to have a dual sport 650 (Suzuki) and I still cruise the old logging roads with my Toyota. I never go anywhere without a DeLorme Atlas &Gazetteer, a standard Montana road map and either BLM or Forest Service topo maps for the districts I'll be riding in.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:45 AM

Location: In an alternate universe according to some, AKA Aspergers
10,681 posts, read 11,788,557 times
You can ride Hungry Horse Reservoir, both east and west sides and there are many roads that take off from that. You can go up the north fork road out of C-Falls, there are several atv roads there. You can go to halfmoon road, go north to your first right then take either your first or second left (you need to be on the same road as the arena where the forest service has their expo) and keep heading up the road past all the houses. You will be on Stoltze land/snowmobile trails where you can ride all you want as long as the gates are not closed. Ask at fast toys motorcycle shop if they have a map or can give you better directions than I can. Most Plum Creek and Stoltze land is open, the only requirement they have is don't cross closed gates and pack out what you pack in. You actually could almost ride the whole way to big mountain if you know enough trails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana