Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2009, 04:17 PM

351 posts, read 666,596 times

Advertisements

Thinking of moving to Helena I live in the Phoenix area and I spend about 99% of my time indoors because of the heat like it's going to be 116 degrees Sunday and the Mormons wear ties. I got a badly torn rotator cuff because I slip on the ice in Oklahoma and hurt myself so I have a phobia about ice. I'm retired and I just want to live with some nice people because the people out here are so stand off ish. They will say hi but that's it. Making friends out here is almost impossible because I live in an adult community and everyone knows me and my dog and they all weave and say hi but I still don't have any friends out here and I've been here 4 years. Neighbors are so stuck up they won't even say hi. I'm very friendly to everyone and offered everyone help if they need it, like planting a tree help with their computer and so on. I guess these people don't care for me because I'm single, have a nice car and my yard is the best one out of 700 homes, go figure. Anyway I need to visit to see how I like it. Any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 04:39 PM

14 posts, read 57,366 times
There a bunch of us living in the mountains west of Helena and personally I hate going into town. While people in town are friendly, I just don't like the traffic and drunks on the road. I spend most of my time on the mountain, it can be a hard life, at times, but many a days it sure is peaceful- no traffic or control grid. Most of the bad stuff that's happening in the rest of the country is sneaking into Montana too - fading liberties.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,691 times
My husband and I are looking to move to Helena as well.... Scary move. We currently livin California... HATE IT!! We spend all of our time at our claim. California people tend to be very rude. We want to go somewhere where the people are very friendly, somewhere where people will understand why we love the outdoors. I wonder if Helena is the right place for us????

Old 07-09-2009, 07:35 PM

351 posts, read 666,596 times
I spent most of my life in the SF Bay Area in CA and yes the people are not very friendly and I'm never going back to live. I know from Texas straight up to MT are some very friendly people. I spent 5 months in Wichita KS last year and they are friendly and in Oklahoma where 3 of my cousins live they are very friendly.

Old 07-10-2009, 12:03 AM

40 posts, read 90,921 times
I was born and raised in San Francisco and understand how it, and the bay area/CA in general tend to be. I remember it used to be different many years ago...

As for Helena, it's a great place, and people are very friendly. But most people I've met, don't live in the city proper, they live a little ways outside the city. I would too, if I had the money and a truck/driver's license.

Basically, I researched through this forum (great people here!), and other means, but in the end, you NEED to visit before making any kind of decision. You'll be giving up some of the things you've grown accustomed to in CA.

Moving here and trying to change things and/or telling people how things are done in CA won't get you many friends, fortunately I haven't done either :-). That said, merely being from CA hasn't been a burden, more of an ice breaker.

The key thing is something that my dad taught me when I was a kid, when I asked him how people were up north. "You're judged by how you carry yourself and your actions, not the vehicle you drive or how much money you have. If you're an idiot, you'll be treated as such!"

That being said, Montana in general is an outdoor type of place. It is wonderful if you love nature and can handle the winters, which vary depending on which area you are in. If you can afford it, visit in the summer and winter.

If you have specific questions, please ask.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:29 PM

373 posts, read 1,852,453 times
There's a lot of ice. I fall down on it every winter. But, grandmother lived here for a few years in an adult living situation and she made tons of friends really quickly after moving from Minnesota...but you have to get involved with cards or live somewhere with some opportunities for community dining.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:04 AM

4 posts, read 8,894 times
Red face Two more bound for Mt....(Helena area)

Hello all:

A bit late to this thread but in the same boat. Lived in Calif. all my life and currently live in "Texas" (since July), but hate it here... too humid and hot for my taste. Been wanting to live in Mt. since youth and now have chosen to take action by the beginning of Oct '09. Like the previous posts, would like to see if I can get any leads on rentals (house, apt, mobile) under the $700 range mark. Would prefer something away from the city, but not too far as that is where work will be for my wife. I do have another question though; since we've been looking we've noticed a sorta 'ban' on pets in these parts of the woods (no pets allowed), why is that? Isn't there wild life all around Helena and Mt. for that matter??? Very strange!!!!

Well, hopefully I can get some response to this, and maybe not. I, just like any other person in my situation, hopes to hear a friendly voice that can lend a hand to another (something this world seems to have forgotten). Looking forward to this move.

Sincerely,

Thom and Amber
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana