Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2009, 12:50 PM

2 posts, read 7,686 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Colstrip, MT. We are three my wife,myself and our six year old (going on 16 it seems) daughter. The town appears to be a unique place and we are looking forward to the move.

Any advice is apreciated. Right now, housing seems to be our biggest concern, since there are not that many listed when we look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 01:38 PM

18,700 posts, read 41,877,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica's Dad View Post
We are moving to Colstrip, MT. We are three my wife,myself and our six year old (going on 16 it seems) daughter. The town appears to be a unique place and we are looking forward to the move.

Any advice is apreciated. Right now, housing seems to be our biggest concern, since there are not that many listed when we look.
What brings you into these woods? Been through coalstrip a few times, Got a job lined up?

Old 07-14-2009, 01:46 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,197,154 times
When I lived in Colstrip to teach school for 9 months (which was 9 months too many!!!) housing was almost impossible to get. That was during the 2005-06 school year. There just isn't much there. You can search on this site for Colstrip and see a very long thread about it. Good luck there. I hope you like it. I hated it and would never go back for a million $$$$$!!!! But to each his own and I hope you and your family are happy there!

Old 07-15-2009, 07:52 PM

2 posts, read 7,686 times
Default Answers

Yes, I do have a job lined and we are excited about finding a good job in my field during this economy. We have visited Colstrip and liked the family activities that seemed to be available.

I have read all of the threads on this site (and others), like many places it seems to have people who like and dislike it. We have made the decision to move here for our family and we hope that it works out well for us. (We did have the chance to move to Asia for a job (which has some cool aspects as well), but the schools and community appeal to us.

I may to have to pitch a tent if nothing opens up in the renting department for us. But we are optimistic still.
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Old 07-15-2009, 10:51 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,618,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica's Dad View Post

Here is link to the city web Welcome to the City of Colstrip Official Website

Maybe they can help? Good luck

Old 07-16-2009, 12:40 AM

You will probably like it there being you have a family. It is a family oriented town. It is not good for single people, though, unless you like the bars! I was divorced during the time I was there so was very lonely and unhappy. You will most likely meet other families with things in common with you. Best of luck finding a home!

Old 06-27-2010, 04:33 PM

2 posts, read 5,920 times
This is 2010 and we have lived here almost 10 yrs and I am looking forward to leaving. I am a pretty open minded person and being a service brat allowed me to come into anywhere and feel at home....until Colstrip. There are so many really great things about Colstrip but the people do make the difference.

You will find that there are two kinds of people here in Colstrip. Those that have lived here either before or during the boom in the late 70's. They began their careers at Montana Power and have raised familes here. Then you have the newcomers who come here for the job opportunities and the chance to be part of a small, rural community and to contribute. Many of the people that come here are specialized workers, engineers, minors, electrians,etc, skills that are needed here. The isolation and cold winters do not make it easy for companies to recruit workers. Then once they come, the behavior of many in the community, drives them away and this hurts Colstrip.

There seems to be no need for new friends, many old-timers have their cliches, and there isno interest in getting to know the new people past a purely superficial level.. Gossiping seems to be a town pass-time, with several of the establishments being the centers for this behavior. Nothing seems off limits and indeed selling a home can be hindered by the many mouths talking about how they wouldnt live in a certain part of town, or passing second hand stories about how awful shape that home is. The churches should be a sanctuary, a place to worship and make Christian friends but that is not the case here. I have attended church my whole life until I came here.

For those of you moving here, it is a great place to raise kids. The beauty of the area and recreational possibilities are endless. There are other newcomers that would love the chance to get to know you. For those of you who cant understand why we dont like it here, its because you probably are not treated like you treat us. Isnt it a pity that Colstrip could really become an awesome place for all.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colstripmama View Post
This is 2010 and we have lived here almost 10 yrs and I am looking forward to leaving. I am a pretty open minded person and being a service brat allowed me to come into anywhere and feel at home....until Colstrip. There are so many really great things about Colstrip but the people do make the difference.

You will find that there are two kinds of people here in Colstrip. Those that have lived here either before or during the boom in the late 70's. They began their careers at Montana Power and have raised familes here. Then you have the newcomers who come here for the job opportunities and the chance to be part of a small, rural community and to contribute. Many of the people that come here are specialized workers, engineers, minors, electrians,etc, skills that are needed here. The isolation and cold winters do not make it easy for companies to recruit workers. Then once they come, the behavior of many in the community, drives them away and this hurts Colstrip.

There seems to be no need for new friends, many old-timers have their cliches, and there isno interest in getting to know the new people past a purely superficial level.. Gossiping seems to be a town pass-time, with several of the establishments being the centers for this behavior. Nothing seems off limits and indeed selling a home can be hindered by the many mouths talking about how they wouldnt live in a certain part of town, or passing second hand stories about how awful shape that home is. The churches should be a sanctuary, a place to worship and make Christian friends but that is not the case here. I have attended church my whole life until I came here.

For those of you moving here, it is a great place to raise kids. The beauty of the area and recreational possibilities are endless. There are other newcomers that would love the chance to get to know you. For those of you who cant understand why we dont like it here, its because you probably are not treated like you treat us. Isnt it a pity that Colstrip could really become an awesome place for all.
Amen to all you said. I also enjoyed friends everywhere I went except for my year in Colstrip. I hated it there and nothing's going to change that. Good thing I had friends at work but outside of my work hours I only really had one friend, who was also a recent "transplant" to town. You are right, it is a shame that what could be a really neat town is affected by some really nasty people. God bless those good ones who are there and are good to everyone, no matter what.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:38 AM

2 posts, read 5,920 times
I'm finally out of here!! That said, here is some advice to the fine people in Colstrip. There is a fine line between over-familiarization and gossiping and this town does not know the difference.

Does what you are talking about concern you? Instead of gossiping about a person, is there maybe an opportunity to help? To cultivate a friendship? When you talk about that house for sale down the street and you say, "I heard that the basement is leaking." When a co-worker says, "Im looking at the house over on ____ street," and you just have to say, "I wouldnt live there!" What business is it of yours ?? You could be affecting their ability to sell their place. We had someone back out of buying our house because of people giving their opinions. The buyers actually said, "we were told by people in town that...." The worst part is that those people dont even take the time to consider what they are saying or that it could cause harm.

Do you realize that your need to talk can and does affect others lives? Perhaps that is why the Bible sees gossip as a sin, for the destruction it can play in others lives. If you start your sentence out, "So, did you hear," you are probably gossiping. I challenge you to try and go a week without gossiping, be aware of what you say as well as your actions and then perhaps Colstrip could become a great place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana