Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 04:04 PM

22 posts, read 94,235 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of moving to Libby,Montana from Northern Minnesota.I was stationed at Great Falls in the early 80's.
We would like to know about the crime in the area.We went on the Police website that we saw on another discussion on this website.They had enough break ins and arsons to have us worried.All we want to do is enjoy the beautiful wildlife and nature in the area.We also know every place has its good and bad.Any input would be appreciated and helpful.
Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2007, 04:40 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,468,029 times
I would be worried more about the pollution. Check with the EPA before moving to any city in Montana. There are a lot of hazardous sites they are still cleaning.

Reed Point is still a very active site and unsuspecting buyers are buying homes there without being warned.

Old 04-22-2007, 05:28 PM

Thank You for the information!We will look into that!

Old 04-22-2007, 08:41 PM

1,309 posts, read 2,814,129 times
Because of the asbestos issues,I would look into somthing between Libby and Kalispell or Libby and Idaho.Beautifull country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcat View Post
We are thinking of moving to Libby,Montana from Northern Minnesota.I was stationed at Great Falls in the early 80's.
We would like to know about the crime in the area.We went on the Police website that we saw on another discussion on this website.They had enough break ins and arsons to have us worried.All we want to do is enjoy the beautiful wildlife and nature in the area.We also know every place has its good and bad.Any input would be appreciated and helpful.
Thank You

Old 04-22-2007, 09:21 PM

989 posts, read 3,524,919 times
I would stay clear of Libby. Bad place for your lungs.

Old 04-23-2007, 01:15 AM

529 posts, read 1,892,129 times
Their are 3 major superfund clean up sites that I can think of right off the top of my head right now.... In Montana

#1 Lincoln County (Libby)
#2 Missoula County (Missoula)
#3 Silver Bow County (Butte)

I can come up with a few more if I really dug into the paperwork.

(This business of the Milltown Dam in Missoula and the Berkeley Pit is a real mess. They are dredging the Clark Fork and shipping the mercury and heavy metaled earth back to Butte, from whence it came in the first place (broken link)..... and then, just when you thought it couldn't get any worse, the Pit will overflow in a few or more years, 'cause it's filling with water you know, and very polluted acidic water at that, will spill out to only run "downhill" through Butte and right back into the Clark Fork. And I shouldn't forget to mention that the Clark Fork will not only effect areas between Butte and Missoula, no, it all flows downhill, through presumed prestine places like Superior, Noxon, and flows over to Bonner County Idaho and enters the east end of Lake Pend Oreille.)

If you are worried about pollution, or hazardous waste in the ground, these 3 areas are definitely the ones to avoid.

(as a side note.... Why won't anyone ever mention the "huge" landfill "that is quite clearly visible" above Missoula north along the interstate? Missoula gets garbage hauled in from as far away as Lewiston, Idaho to be buried there. Why can't Idaho find someplace to bury their own garbage?)

If you are worried about pollution in the air.... Well, most all of the Western Montana valleys have issues with air quality that are "far" above the national average.....

Well...... I'll jump off of my soapbox now...

Last edited by GiftShoppeGuy; 04-23-2007 at 01:48 AM..

Old 04-23-2007, 01:43 AM

989 posts, read 3,524,919 times
There's also a mining pollution issue in East Helena. I dont know many details on it but I see it in the paper regularly. Problems with the ground water I believe.

Old 04-23-2007, 01:53 AM

529 posts, read 1,892,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQHA View Post
There's also a mining pollution issue in East Helena. I dont know many details on it but I see it in the paper regularly. Problems with the ground water I believe.
Heh Heh... I've been reading about that too..

And here all my buddy's over Missoula way wonder why I got the "H. E. double-toothpick" out of Western Montana... I guess I've just got this thing for drinking clean water and breathing clean air.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:03 AM

Thank you for the information everybody.We are looking for a place in Montana that has clean Mountains and streams.Wildlife and privacy.Grannymontanny mentioned between
Montana and Idaho,what areas can you recommend.

Old 04-23-2007, 01:32 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,468,029 times
I don't think anyone has to worry about the air quality much in Montana....lots of wind. I would however research EPA reports anywhere I was looking to move. Look at the ground water, natural and dumped hazards. I have heard many here say there are a great many cases of MS but I have not researched it yet..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana