U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2009, 04:41 PM

9 posts, read 23,609 times

Advertisements

were looking to go there next july on vacation was wondering how many days we should set aside??we have to young kids 6&2 so wont be hiking to much.thanks for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 06:00 PM

6,258 posts, read 12,886,345 times
Here is a nice link, hope it helps

Montana's National Parks

Old 08-14-2009, 07:32 PM

309 posts, read 866,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noavg55 View Post
were looking to go there next july on vacation was wondering how many days we should set aside??we have to young kids 6&2 so wont be hiking to much.thanks for any help
Get your passports because Glacier goes into Canada as well - Waterton Park. You'll need about three days tops if you can keep the lil ones interested in the animals and maybe take in the Plains Indian Museum in Browning. Glacier National Park (U.S. National Park Service) and Travel Guide for Waterton Lakes Park, Alberta, Canada The most beautiful lodge in the two parks is the Prince of Wales located in Waterton.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:58 PM

29 posts, read 102,589 times
Default Glacier Park time

I would suggest at least 5 days. Even if you are not hiking, there are plenty of areas to see. 5 days give you time to see the sights and be able to do it at a relaxed pace.

Old 08-15-2009, 04:29 PM

148 posts, read 493,356 times
Try to stay a night at the Isaak Walton Inn in Essex, you won't regret it! Really, really neat place.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:13 PM

317 posts, read 942,650 times
Default It really depends

Glacier Park is a beautiful area and a great place to visit. However, without hiking, there's not a whole lot to do there. You'll want one day to drive up to Logan Pass from Whitefish (perhaps clear to Mini Glacier if you'd like a long drive). You probably can talk your family into hiking up to Avalance Lake, that's a fun one and good for families.

But beyond that, there's not a lot else to do in Glacier Park. I'd say you could do both of those things in 2 days.

However, in the Flathead Valley, there area ton of activities that you can do that are a blast, and the Whitefish area is very pretty as well. Things like kayaking Whitefish Lake, whitewater rafting the middle fork of the Flathead River, canoeing Kinta Lake or Bowman Lake (technically in Glacier but a completely different part, you have to rent a canoe and have a way to get it up there), hiking down Big Mountain (riding a chairlift up Whitefish Mountain Resort and hiking down), picking huckleberries, and the like. Most of these are outside the park.

The best suggestion is to pick the activities you want to do, then try to create a schedule of how many you'd like to do in a day. If you have questions about how long each activity takes, please send me a DM and I can try to answer it. I grew up in Whitefish so I'm real familiar with the park.

Old 08-16-2009, 12:16 AM

5,792 posts, read 9,254,296 times
Hmmmm. We spent one night at Lake McDonald Lodge a few years ago. I'd say if you can get one of the cabins (make reservations) or stay at the lodge itself, you should have a good time, but stay away from the annex at all cost! Tiny rooms...We were wondering why there was a little piece of the bathroom door frame cut out...When we opened the door (inward), we realized that this was so the door would clear the sink ! The shower was a tube where you could stand up, but you couldn't turn around if you had shoulders, which most people do ...we got into a hysterical giggles fit, so we were having a grand old time , but unless you are very tired (oh, and the bed was horrible) or in the mood for roughing it, the annex will give you nightmares...
The restaurant was expensive and fancy, and the service was slower than a moving glacier, and equally chilly. Breakfast was over at some ridiculously early hour. But the great fireplace in the lobby is worth a visit, and I had a good Irish Coffee in the bar.

I kid you not--here's a a pic!
Attached Thumbnails
how many days in glacier-img_0200.jpg  

Last edited by Clark Fork Fantast; 08-16-2009 at 12:24 AM.. Reason: Adding photo

Old 08-16-2009, 10:50 AM

7,540 posts, read 12,568,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Hmmmm. We spent one night at Lake McDonald Lodge a few years ago. I'd say if you can get one of the cabins (make reservations) or stay at the lodge itself, you should have a good time, but stay away from the annex at all cost! Tiny rooms...We were wondering why there was a little piece of the bathroom door frame cut out...When we opened the door (inward), we realized that this was so the door would clear the sink ! The shower was a tube where you could stand up, but you couldn't turn around if you had shoulders, which most people do
We must have stayed there once. Now that you mention it I vaguely recall some teeny tiny doors and bathrooms definitely designed for roadkill people I was probably about 12 years old so it didn't bother me much

I once looked at a house for sale that had doors like that. It had a curved row of 4 or 5 odd-sized and strange-shaped bedrooms that all had doors to the adjoining room AND to the living room, and none of the doors was more than 18 inches wide, and some were only 15" (I measured 'em). Very strange. All the windows were set within a few inches of the floor, too. Maybe the house was designed for midgets??!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana