U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 11:08 AM

17 posts, read 57,405 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone I'm 31 and was thinking of moving to billings by the end of the year and I have been doing some research on the place such as cost of living and reading some of the threads on what people think of the place. It really sounds like a nice place. It looks way more affordable then the western towns of the state. I'm just trying to escape traffic and be at peace with nature. I will be coming from east Texas so I know it will be a major change and I will be coming alone. I was really wondering on how welcoming it would be for me being black. I was reading on kalispell a small town on the northwestern corner of the state and someone said be aware if your of color. So before I make a move would just like some input on your town as far as toleration. Does not seem like there is much diversity but I never really cared about it. I always believed people are people no matter the color I'm very excited about coming up I think it will be a permanent move...Thanks

Last edited by StarValentino; 08-21-2009 at 11:18 AM.. Reason: extra word by accident
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 11:37 AM

6,038 posts, read 6,873,709 times
Hi and welcome to CD forums and the Montana board. If you are coming from Texas I have to warn you that you may be a bit disappointed with the food in Montana. You can get pretty decent grilled steaks but understandably the seafood sucks and real BBQ is hard to find. Good luck to you and as far as racial prejudice goes I think you will find a lot less of that in Montana than in Texas. I have a story to tell but I wont post it here. I will tell the story about my trip through Texas on a direct message though if anyone is interested.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:54 AM

Hello Rickers! Thanks for replying. Speaking of food are there many mexican restraunts that are maybe any good? Well I guess I will haft to adjust to the food thing cause of course the city of dallas is known for good food! Yeah Dallas is pretty racial in a since and it being a big city and all I was very surprised about it and saddened. Funny thing is no one really talks about it but its there. And sometimes It feels like many have not left to 60's lol. Only reason I'm here is because my family is here but I let them know I can't stand it here and I'm leaving at the end of the year. It's a very rich city and all people care about is just material things. Not all but most I've come across. But every city is different in Texas such as Austin and Houston way different laid back good vibe. If it was not for the scorching heat and the urban dynamic of the cities here I would consider staying but I like to see all 4 seasons and Play in the snow lol. Yeah send me a direct message about your trip through Texas! Thanks!

Old 08-21-2009, 12:24 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,404,004 times
I find that in smaller towns (pop. less than 3000), race does tend to be an issue. City-data forum does have info. on the distribution of races in each town and county. Where I live, the afric-amer pop. is less than 2%. Larger towns like Great Falls, Bozeman and Missoula have alot larger percentages. As far as food goes, I would give my eye tooth for a great mexican joint. I've been to Texas a few times and I have to say, the food is fantastic! I wish you all the best and good luck on your venture. Welcome!

Old 08-21-2009, 12:26 PM

I will send you a DM with my story. As far as Mexican Food goes it is mostly company owned chains or franchised chains with very mediocre Tex-Mex type of items. I don't think I've ever seen a Torta here other than the ones I make. Cheddar cheese, sour cream and lettuce in the guacamole just doesn't do it for me because I grew up on the border. Very hard to find cotilla cheese either at the restaurants and don't get me started in on Taco Bell, Taco Johns, Taco time, Taco Treat etc. I call them all "Taco Pukes" ! Fiesta En Jalisco is a franchised chain and some of them are good depending on the management. Serrano's in East glacier is good but only open for the summer.
I don't know much about Billings, I try to stay out of cities and I'm way up in the high-line area anyway.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magoomafoo View Post
I find that in smaller towns (pop. less than 3000), race does tend to be an issue. City-data forum does have info. on the distribution of races in each town and county. Where I live, the afric-amer pop. is less than 2%. Larger towns like Great Falls, Bozeman and Missoula have alot larger percentages. As far as food goes, I would give my eye tooth for a great mexican joint. I've been to Texas a few times and I have to say, the food is fantastic! I wish you all the best and good luck on your venture. Welcome!
Yeah I would figure race to be a issue in smaller towns definitley small towns here in Texas and ever so often they make big news on racial tensions. Yeah I've looked at the percentages up there on the races pretty interesting. Man I bet there is alot of money to made if someone opened up a quality Mexican Joint. Yeah the food here rocks can't really compare to anywhere else. But no love will be lost I will come will visit Texas back and forth once I get settled in Montana. Then I can maybe bring back some food back to ya lol Thanks magoomafoo

Old 08-21-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
I will send you a DM with my story. As far as Mexican Food goes it is mostly company owned chains or franchised chains with very mediocre Tex-Mex type of items. I don't think I've ever seen a Torta here other than the ones I make. Cheddar cheese, sour cream and lettuce in the guacamole just doesn't do it for me because I grew up on the border. Very hard to find cotilla cheese either at the restaurants and don't get me started in on Taco Bell, Taco Johns, Taco time, Taco Treat etc. I call them all "Taco Pukes" ! Fiesta En Jalisco is a franchised chain and some of them are good depending on the management. Serrano's in East glacier is good but only open for the summer.
I don't know much about Billings, I try to stay out of cities and I'm way up in the high-line area anyway.
Ha ha Taco Bell, Taco Johns, taco time Taco treat TACO PUKES agreed lol!! There are so many generic Taco places lol! I totally agree!

Old 08-21-2009, 01:32 PM

Thumbs up A simmering idea.

I had an idea to buy a closed restaurant and sponsor a Mexican family to run it as an authentic Mexican restaurant but I'm close to being over extended financially for the next few years. The idea is still simmering on the back burner though, right next to the machaca and the chili verde !

Old 08-21-2009, 02:37 PM

31,916 posts, read 37,911,515 times
I think you will be fine. There are quite a few 'Hispanics" and Native Americans in Montana. Like another poster mentioned, Great falls(due to an Air Force Base), Missoula(due to U. of Montana) and Bozeman(due to Montana state), have enough Black people to notice. I think Billings does as well and I think they might even have a couple of churches that worship in the historically Black tradition too. Butte might have a few that go back to the mining days as well. There was an Air Base in Eastern Montana near Glasgow that brought in some "diversity" to that area and some of people have stayed in that part of the state as well. Not sure about Helena. I would say that Great Falls has the highest percentage though, when including Malmstrom AFB's population(about 7% Black).

It does seem like the Black population in Billings has been growing and is estimated to be around 2%, which is an increase: http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet...mat=&-_lang=en

Actually, it seems like the Black population in Montana has been growing in general.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-21-2009 at 02:45 PM..

Old 08-21-2009, 04:45 PM

34 posts, read 56,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarValentino View Post
Ha ha Taco Bell, Taco Johns, taco time Taco treat TACO PUKES agreed lol!! There are so many generic Taco places lol! I totally agree!
I was in Dallas earlier this year and had the absolute best Mexican food I've ever eaten. Ever!

But, even if the people here knew how to make good Mexican food, it wouldn't matter because the fruits and vegetables here are horrendous for 11 months out of the year. Tomatoes and avocados especially.

I discovered buffalo a while back, though. It's the best red meat I've ever tasted, and I absolutely loved me some black angus beef. So there's one perk!

As far as race issues, I'm not that sure because I rarely see black people in Great Falls. Maybe once or twice a week? It's really weird since I was raised in a city that was about 50/50 white/black back in NC.

Anyway, you're definitely less likely to run into racism issues in Bozeman and Missoula, but the job market there is dead.

Why Montana?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana