U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 09:10 AM

317 posts, read 942,973 times

Advertisements

Angelawilson,

I'm not exactly sure what you're looking for. You say being a female, you'd probably be in the office? For the most part, the genuine Montana ranches don't have office positions. The paperwork that is done is usually done by the family ranching rather than by hired help. (Dude ranches and play ranches for millionaires are the exception, but I'm assuming you are talking about real ranching.)

Ranch work is tough work because it involves long hours in all sorts of weather. Children are not necessarily a deal breaker, but your children must be able to entertain themselves and stay out of trouble on their own. I don't think you'd want them helping around the ranch because ranching is an incredibly dangerous position, and you'd feel awful if something happened to them. Rather, they'd just be kids enjoying themselves.

The big thing you need is experience and a network of ranchers you know. Experience is important because Montana ranches are not highly profitable, so they don't have a lot of money to train brand new people that may not stick around. The ranches want experienced people who have a history of enjoying ranch work. Knowing a network of people is important because ranchers don't usally run ads in the paper for help. They look to people they know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 09:35 AM

12 posts, read 25,272 times
Well, experience with ranching, I have none. So as far as networking, it is practically impossible as I personally do not know anyone. Thank you for your insight. It is better to know these things upfront rather than keep getting knocked down.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:43 AM

7,540 posts, read 12,573,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Yes, it's really interesting how popular dude ranch vacations are in Europe. And some of those European "dudes" really know their stuff--they've taken horseback lessons before showing up, they know about Western lore, and some of them even take part in Old West reenactments/festivals in their home countries. Over the top? Well, they, too, have always wanted to live the cowboy life...and some of the cowboys back in the day had European accents, too! The dream is alive...
Country-western music is big in Germany too -- except they do it as polka!! "Streets of Bakersfield" sounds right odd done German-style

Old 08-25-2009, 10:19 AM

989 posts, read 3,127,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQHA View Post
It depends if you're pretty of not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelawilson0005 View Post
Really!
Then you'll be fine. Nobody seems to want a homely gal running around the place scaring the livestock. Even the German "Cowboys" frown on ugly gals, they call them Duichu-Huasen Rauchita (this means "strong back, but very hard to look at").

Old 08-26-2009, 11:31 AM

1,219 posts, read 2,810,965 times
Heh.. Too funny. I know a guy who does a horse drive, with his working horses, and when he moves them they make an event of it and CHARGE people to come out and help them. (the cowboy experience I guess..)
I need a job like that, where your hired help pays YOU!

Old 08-27-2009, 11:09 AM

1,078 posts, read 2,281,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelawilson0005 View Post
Well, experience with ranching, I have none. So as far as networking, it is practically impossible as I personally do not know anyone. Thank you for your insight. It is better to know these things upfront rather than keep getting knocked down.

If you didn't grow up on a ranch and have no experience, sorry to say, it's gonna be a tough road for you. My kids are almost all grown and it's still hard to help on the family ranch even for just a few days. You have to be able to jump and run at a seconds notice, especially during calving. I do know you don't want kids running around during haying season....ask the hutterites. Seems like every year some hutterite kid gets killed around machinery.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:09 PM

7,540 posts, read 12,573,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoomafoo View Post
I do know you don't want kids running around during haying season....ask the hutterites. Seems like every year some hutterite kid gets killed around machinery.
One of my shirttail-cousins-by-marriage got killed when a tractor went over, and he was a sensible kid (I think he was about 16 at the time) and grew up on the ranch, running machinery from the time he could reach the controls. A friend's kid, also ranch-raised and livestock-savvy, nonetheless got her head kicked in by a horse when she was 8 years old, and now has a silver plate the size of your hand instead of part of her skull. Farming and ranching are fairly high-risk jobs and can be dangerous environments, even when you know exactly what you're doing.

Last edited by Reziac; 08-27-2009 at 02:10 PM.. Reason: incomplete though----ts

Old 08-28-2009, 10:30 AM

309 posts, read 866,836 times
In order of dangerous jobs:

1) Commercial fishing
2) Logging
3) Farming

Old 08-28-2009, 10:32 AM

309 posts, read 866,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoomafoo View Post
I do know you don't want kids running around during haying season....ask the hutterites. Seems like every year some hutterite kid gets killed around machinery.
Well that won't happen in Amish country - they don't use machinery. Haying is done by hand and windrowing is done behind a horse drawn cart.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:52 AM

375 posts, read 1,213,070 times
My Dad owned a working ranch in Wyoming, now since gone on both counts. That was back in the 50's - days of $6 crude and the passenger railroad running thru the state. Moving cattle was a tough job esp going to/from high pasture. Working on a ranch is tough job, that pays poorly and sometimes gives great satisfaction. Nothing like being on for 24hrs of calving duty, which I gladly relinquished to my brothers as they were growing up to handle as I went off to school.

We opened it up to dudes from back East in the 60's - to get their fill of "roughing it" - charging $55 per day for r&b and another $10 for tack & feed. For that they got three squares, a bunk and an outhouse. Showers once a week, unless you quit early. We did rather well until I got back from overseas and convinced Dad we should get out while we had the chance. That business has evolved into eco-tourism and very little of recognizable ranching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana