Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 11:26 AM

4 posts, read 8,905 times

Advertisements

Hello all:

Like a lot of others, my wife and I are relocating to the Helena area by the beginning of October '09, and would like to see if I can get any leads on rentals (house, apt, mobile) under the $700 range mark. Would prefer something away from the city, but not too far as that is where work will be for my wife. I do have another question though; since we've been looking we've noticed a sorta 'ban' on pets in these parts of the woods (no pets allowed), why is that? Isn't there wild life all around Helena and Mt. for that matter??? Very strange!!!!

Well, hopefully I can get some response to this, and maybe not. I, just like any other person in my situation, hopes to hear a friendly voice that can lend a hand to another (something this world seems to have forgotten). Looking forward to this move.

Sincerely,

Thom and Amber
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 11:52 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
You might give this a try. Just select which county you want to look at. Then you can select which Town or City. This is for low income. But it is a place to rent an apartment if needed.

Montana Apartments

Here is a link to another portion of City Data. I set the link to towns of 6000 plus. But if you scroll down to the bottom you can find towns of 1000-6000 population, and below that towns of less then 1000. Each area will list the towns and when you select a town it will come up with a list of agencies that have rentals, and all the Realitors in the area, along with the demographics of that town. Click Here.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:19 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times
thomic1,
If you are looking for more affordable rental property than Helena check out Townsend or Boulder or East Helena. All three are close to Helena without the higher prices brought on by very steep taxes within the Helena City Limits.

I can't say for certain, but many landlords within Helena City Limits don't like to have to supply a fenced yard or face the problems associated with pet owners who don't control their pets and allow them to destroy the property or won't clean up after them degrading the property.

The wildlife is another reason to keep a close eye on your pets. Several dogs have been killed or injured in Helena by deer, some pet owners as well when they tried to protect their pets.
If you keep a pet in Montana, DO NOT LET THEM RUN LOOSE.

Montana is not a pet sanctuary. We do love animals, but not at any cost.
Farmer Brown doesn't care if "Fluffy" the Rottweiller is great with kids. If "Fluffy" is tearing the guts out of Farmer Browns milk cow or ripping the throats out of his herd of sheep, "Fluffy" probably won't come home, or if it does, may have a large bill attached to a court summons for damages attached to it.

Most folks love dogs or cats, but when they are let run they can and do kill livestock and wildlife. Montana law does allow landowners to protect their livestock by killing at large dogs that are harrasing their stock.
If you love your dog, keep it under control.

Cats kill a lot of songbirds and even endangered species every year, and there are more than a few that wind up smeared all over the road when allowed to roam.

I don't know where you are moving from, but just because you move to Montana does not remove responsiblity from you for controlling your pet. I have seen the above mentioned scenarios play out far too many times. The dog or cat is doing what comes naturally, the owner is the one responsible for keeping them out of trouble.

Montana is just like anywhere, we have folks that love animals, some that can't stand them. Nothing new here.
Most do love the wildlife and hate to see them chased through barbed wire fences by "Tinkerbell" the fun loving pit bull.
Just something to think about.

Good Luck with your move.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:37 PM

Default ...Silvertip....

What an awesome response!!! WOW! Truely, if only more people thought like you and could "actually comprehend" your message! Thank you for saying something that (if you allow) I'd like to repost to allow more people to understand who may wish to come to Mt.

As for us, no dogs or outside animals, just an indoor cat that's part of the family and my wife and I. That's it, I know how other species like to draw on one another and the such... (not born in a bubble), and even though I'm coming from California via Texas, I literally used to (hand) milk cows, slaughter pigs, chickens, deer, bear, rabbits for food as a youth (not that I'm looking to do that now) but I'm comin into town! We'd like to get 'outside' of downtown, and just learn to grow as the rest.

You'll find her at Starbucks, but me... well we'll see. Gotta see where and what this new land has to offer. I'm more the technological personality (love using my brain)... lol

Sent you a request, hopefully we can talk further on this subject and more.

Thanks again Silvertip>

Old 09-09-2009, 11:52 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,055,498 times
Worth a shot to call some of those rentals and ask, I have heard some people are pleasantly surprised and some landlords will allow cats but not dogs, or allow a pet with a little bit extra on the deposit. Here in Sheridan,Wy where I live, that is not uncommon about pets either. But surprisingly a lot of folks are easy going and will worth with you. Some are strict on it and say no, but always worth a shot to ask.

Best of luck to you on your move

Old 09-13-2009, 02:43 AM

2 posts, read 3,370 times
A few more places Silvertip forgot to mention are Montana City, Clancy, and Winston. Montana City and Clancy are farther than East Helena but alot closer than Boulder (and Boulder can be a yucky drive in the winter when going through the pass). Winston is on the way to Townsend..it's around 15 miles from East Helena (which is 3 miles from Helena). Don't forget to keep the gas bill in mind though if choosing to live outside Helena limits. Our local paper here is called the Independent Record. you can usually find alot of listings there for surrounding areas as well. Hope this helps a bit. Good luck on the move and welcome!
[Mod cut]

Last edited by ElkHunter; 09-13-2009 at 11:36 AM.. Reason: New users must have 10 posts prior to recommending websites.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:45 AM

News update for those who posted....
We finally found a 'starter place'! It's about 6 miles north of Helena off the 15, and the landlord is alright with a cat comin' along for the ride. We've been emailing back and forth now for a couple weeks and sounds pretty cool. I know winter is right around the corner, so this needed to get done right away without adding to the guess work. But money has changed hands and we're on our way come October 8th. Thanks all for your input and recommendations.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:58 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Welcome home.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:30 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
Now that you are on the way, be advised that the surest way to identify yourselves as out-of-staters is to say "the 15". Usually, around here it is identified as "I-15", or "The Interstate" (remember, there are only three of them in Montana, 2 east-west, and one north-south, and only one in Helena). By the same token, highways are known as "Highway 2" or "Highway 93" or "Highway 200", but never "the 2" etc.
Just one of our many idiosyncracies...

Old 09-25-2009, 08:25 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,153,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Now that you are on the way, be advised that the surest way to identify yourselves as out-of-staters is to say "the 15". Usually, around here it is identified as "I-15", or "The Interstate" (remember, there are only three of them in Montana, 2 east-west, and one north-south, and only one in Helena). By the same token, highways are known as "Highway 2" or "Highway 93" or "Highway 200", but never "the 2" etc.
Just one of our many idiosyncracies...
That's an interesting point of usage. Having lived and driven in both states, I think it's because in CA, the freeways are major focal points in everyone's lives, due to the distances most folks commute to work, and how far it is from everything to everything else (in CA, it's nothing to drive 50 miles each way for a casual shopping trip, and the average commute is about 80mi. per day). In MT, the highways (including the Interstate) are just roads to somewhere else, and folks think of their lives and events as being local, rather than bounded by the freeways required to get there like in CA.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana