Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 08:50 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,169,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopanic View Post
Hello, I'm from Missouri - lived here 20 years but grew up in SoCal. I am afraid based on your posts that you might be from Bozeman, correct? If so, that worries me simply because you seem like my kind of person and I am afraid that I will feel the same way about the SoCal element especially if there has been an uptick in creeps. We plan on moving there soon so please tell me it isn't so! Even though I was born in SoCal and lived there until I was 16 I really can't stand a lot (not all) of the people I meet here in Missouri that are coming from there. There is no argument about it - they think NOWHERE on earth exists except the west coast.
Wow good guess! I don't live in Bozeman, but our shop is there. It's true that it's turning to "BozAngeles" faster than anything... Seems like Western Montana is becoming "Eastern Arctic California" faster and faster these days.

I hope with this recession that things slow down even more when it comes to growth and building, and we see more self-sustaining type of work to give some stability instead of areas relying on growth for a quick buck.

If you read my post "The Montanans problem with outsiders moving in." it was written before the big housing crash, and pretty much describes what's been happening for the last 5-10 years.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 02:33 PM

49 posts, read 82,045 times
Dont feel bad montana, it seems califorina people are attracted to Indiana like a moth and a bug zapper.

indiana cant seem to support its own damn people, we dont need californians moving in also.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:50 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,380,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddog241 View Post
Dont feel bad montana, it seems califorina people are attracted to Indiana like a moth and a bug zapper.

indiana cant seem to support its own damn people, we dont need californians moving in also.
Just out of curiosity, how often do you have to empty the bug zapper?.......and where do you dispose of the crispy Californians?

Old 09-29-2009, 11:32 PM

8,088 posts, read 15,162,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
Just out of curiosity, how often do you have to empty the bug zapper?.......and where do you dispose of the crispy Californians?
You made me spit on my monitor

Old 09-29-2009, 11:35 PM

8,088 posts, read 15,162,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf232 View Post
If you read my post "The Montanans problem with outsiders moving in." it was written before the big housing crash, and pretty much describes what's been happening for the last 5-10 years.
It bears repeating:

The Montanan's problem with outsiders moving in..

Old 10-04-2009, 04:38 PM

3 posts, read 7,194 times
Default Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
I question the 80% figure ! Show us some data that backs that up please.
I am from California and if anyone doesn't like the fact that I moved here from California they can go cluck themselves. This California bashing is worn out BS that serves no purpose.
Right on! I have lived in Montana for 20 years, and honestly I would welcome people from any state (though honestly I'm not quite sure why they would want to move here) but that aside, I think people coming from states with larger populations can bring new idea's, new business's, stuff like that (if they can make them happen that is). Anyways, I agree 100% that the "California bashing" is totally ridiculous and annoying...I think mainly Montanan's are afraid of change!

Old 10-04-2009, 04:42 PM

3 posts, read 7,194 times
Quote:
Wow good guess! I don't live in Bozeman, but our shop is there. It's true that it's turning to "BozAngeles" faster than anything... Seems like Western Montana is becoming "Eastern Arctic California" faster and faster these days.

I hope with this recession that things slow down even more when it comes to growth and building, and we see more self-sustaining type of work to give some stability instead of areas relying on growth for a quick buck.

Good luck.
Please....If "If BozAngeles" had half the culture that Los Angeles had it might be a decent place for the younger generation to grow up in. I am curious what makes you say that?

Old 10-10-2009, 06:47 PM
CTC

668 posts, read 1,466,841 times
Default Feeling Minnesota

Quote:
I just don't get it..

Although I'm happy to report 4 people I've met recently that have decided to head back to CA because we didn't have all the conveniences that they were used to. (That and they got fired from their jobs because right now we need producers more than we do bodies in number...)

Comments?
That has not been my experience at all.

States/Places from where the people
I have met at work or are neighbors (I live in Billings) who have recently moved here (I moved from CO 2 years ago):

N. Dakota (quite a few)
Minnesota (quite a few as well)
Israel
Maine
Wyoming
Pennsylvania
Wisconsin
Washington
California (only 1 person)

Interesting....Billings might not be on the CA radar!!

Old 10-11-2009, 05:35 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,169,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriousdjv View Post
Right on! I have lived in Montana for 20 years, and honestly I would welcome people from any state (though honestly I'm not quite sure why they would want to move here) but that aside, I think people coming from states with larger populations can bring new idea's, new business's, stuff like that (if they can make them happen that is). Anyways, I agree 100% that the "California bashing" is totally ridiculous and annoying...I think mainly Montanan's are afraid of change!
Or maybe some of us have been happy with the way things are and don't feel like we need all the big city services and every chain store known to man.. It's nice to live where neighbors help neighbors. What is the big push for change when a person can be content with the way things are?

The bigger, better, faster, more attitude is what lots of folks think "change" is. The change I'd like to see is if people would stop trying to change everything!!

Old 10-14-2009, 01:20 PM

239 posts, read 687,841 times
Quote:

Good luck.
You think Bozeman has changed a lot in the last 20 years? Yes it has, but in that same amount of time there have been total cities developed in California to accommodate the millions moving IN to California. The Santa Clarita Valley went from two high schools to five in the last twenty years. Fifty years ago there were no high schools there at all. Each of those schools has about 2800 students. That kind of population growth and the out of control politics in Sacramento is what are chasing people out of California. With modern technologies, many people work from home and choose to call Montana home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana