U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 09:15 PM

1,219 posts, read 2,816,296 times

Advertisements

I just don't get it..

Although I'm happy to report 4 people I've met recently that have decided to head back to CA because we didn't have all the conveniences that they were used to. (That and they got fired from their jobs because right now we need producers more than we do bodies in number...)

Comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 05:34 AM

6,258 posts, read 12,919,135 times
Because Oregon is overflowing with them so they are heading here
Just my observations there from the late 90's to now.
With the real estate dropping it should slow down.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:00 AM

989 posts, read 3,132,915 times
Because they can sell their average homes for high dollar move here and buy very nice homes for less money. Also, I think they want to get out of the high speed living California offers and live a slower more relaxed life. Some get here and find our way of living a little too relaxed.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:23 PM

148 posts, read 494,823 times
First off California is the most populous state in the U.S. And the proximity of California to MT is not that far. There are many, many people seeking to move away from where they are from, including Montanans. I have met quite a few people from HERE who want to leave, just as bad as the people from California wanting to come here.

I am included in the category of people who wanted to leave where they are from. Originally from Arlington, TX I loved it there growing up. After 32 years, having a family and all, I grew tired of the daily rush of living in the city. We wanted to move somewhere "slower". We chose MT since my wife dad lioves across the border in Milk River.

And we have come to find that the "slower" part is all a mindset. After being here a year and a half, we are just as busy as we were in TX, but we just don't "feel" as rushed.

IMO, that's what all these people from California are seeking as well, but when a lot of them get here and are here for a while, they realize they are just as busy here as they were in California, only without many of the conveniences. So many of them move back, or onto somewhere else.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is this: We see a lot of people from California because there almost 40 million people there. If Wyoming had 40 million people, you would see lots of them too, same for any other state. Californians are moving everywhere, not just Montana. I would be willing to bet there are way less moving to Montana than moved to Texas when I was there.

But I really don't understand what there is to get? I get it. Why dislike someone based on them being from California? I know....you guys don't like them coming here and changing things, and crying about not having things they used to. How are they any different than me being from TX?

Old 09-16-2009, 06:29 PM

6,023 posts, read 11,911,328 times
I question the 80% figure ! Show us some data that backs that up please.
I am from California and if anyone doesn't like the fact that I moved here from California they can go cluck themselves. This California bashing is worn out BS that serves no purpose.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:36 PM

3,040 posts, read 10,451,853 times
Well, being a native born Californian, I will share my experiences, even though I don't plan to move to Montana (I have property in Wyoming that I plan to retire on). California is a beautiful state, and was a great place to grow up. The problem is that if you are anywhere right of center in your political leaning, you no longer fit in in most of the state. I happen to fall into that category, and feel greatly outnumbered here. What I see is that most of the people complain about everything that has happened to California, but they keep voting for the same representatives, who keep messing things up, perpetuating the problems.

The other problem that plagues California is the number of people that are here. It doesn't really matter where you go in California, there are just too many people. Unfortunately, most of them don't understand common courtesy. In recreational areas anywhere within driving distance of the major cities, people leave their trash, including soiled diapers, on the ground, in creek beds, or anywhere else they feel like throwing it. When I go camping almost anywhere in California, the campgrounds are often crowded, and people tend to play their radios too loud, disturbing those around them. Some of these people, when asked to turn it down, say things like "if you don't like it, go somewhere else." Fortunately, in my experience, though I've run into people like that, they are rare. The problem is they do show up from time to time. I've never run into anyone like that in any other state, including Montana.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:01 AM

281 posts, read 731,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf232 View Post
I just don't get it..

Although I'm happy to report 4 people I've met recently that have decided to head back to CA because we didn't have all the conveniences that they were used to. (That and they got fired from their jobs because right now we need producers more than we do bodies in number...)

Comments?

I'm from California, but originally I am from Alaska, Washington, and Missouri. I only moved to Ca to marry my husband, who is a true blue Californian. Why did we come to Montana? Well, I have an aunt who is from Big Timber and is a native of Montana literally, native american. Can trace decendents back to Montana. Anyway, my husband's family lives here as well, who happen to be California transplants. They came up because they have family who has lived in Montana all their life and wanted to be closer to them as they all age.

We moved because I hated California AND I am not well (physically). I could not get used to living in the chaos. And for me it was hell, and it was chaos. Sometimes I miss the beauty of the ocean, and a few areas of peace and beauty that you have to get out of the city for, but the rest I do not care for.

We've been here for a few years. We are lower middle class. We have no intention on stealing jobs, or stealing other's chances for buying their home. I will never realize the dream of home ownership no matter where I live. We are also not interested in changing laws, telling natives how to live etc etc. We came up to be close to family while I rest, and my husband finishes his education.

I realize alot of folks up here look down on the transplants... but not all of us are out to ruin the state. And more than likely when my husband graduates, we will have to move because there's really not many jobs here in his field of work.

As far as missing conveniences, I don't miss them at all. I'm happy to be living where there's not a gas station on every corner. Or a strip mall. Although I tend to wince whenever I come to Missoula because it's starting to resemble San Ramon in California, with its increasing urban sprawl of housing tracts, mini mansions, and strip malls. I remember Missoula when I came up here in the 90's before all of this and it does make me sad.

Right now I feel blessed to be where I am. This is a beautiful place to be, especially when you are not in the best shape physically.

I do want to mention that my husband and I have never been mistreated by anyone because he's from California. When he applied for his job, he still had his ID from Ca. We still had Ca tags on our car. No one, and I mean no one ever mistreated us anywhere we went to. No one gave us dirty looks, threatened us, or refused to help us. I see alot of disgruntled people on this forum but I have never encountered them face to face.

Now what I have encountered are people who have moved up from other states who are rude, who drive dangerously, who think they are priviledged, who want to fence out the wild life and act like they don't care about anyone or anything other than what they want. Yeah, plenty of people like that....

Old 09-19-2009, 08:25 AM

1,219 posts, read 2,816,296 times
I can understand the reasoning... I have in-laws that live in socal that we visit from time to time. Way too many people out there for me.

When I posted the thread, I was frustrated due to some late night noise in the 3 tri-plexes that were built right behind my property (used to be an arabian ranch) and in meeting my new neighbors I've been hearing a lot of the "back in california we partied like this all the time" stories. With 2 small children this bugs me a bit.

It's going to be time to move soon I'm afraid, but for a working guy it's tough to come up with enough $$ to keep up with the inflating prices that have been caused by all the new growth that we just don't have the infrastructure to support.

Please understand that the area I live in has grown so fast over the last 10 years, especially the last 5 that to me the quality of life has dropped, even if the people moving into the area's has improved.

Rickers,
I'm not bashing you because you were born in Ca, heck my mom was born and raised in Pamona, and besides that you seem like a good guy. I'm just tired of the ones with little to no common courtesy, regardless of where they are from.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:19 AM

6,023 posts, read 11,911,328 times
I know a lot of Californians move to Montana but I just think there aren't as many as folks say. It seems that many newcomers are coming from just about everywhere. One of my rentals is occupied by a guy from Ma. My other rental has a guy from La.
The area that I live in now has been losing population for years so our town is glad when someone moves in no matter where they are from ! I still have family and friends in California and they are way more frustrated than Montanans from being crowded out by folks from back east and from south of the border. The low wages and the cold winters cull a lot of the new transplants out after a year or two anyway. The western part of Montana is getting most of these newcomers and getting over built while many of the towns in central and eastern Montana especially along the high-line are still losing people. Even Great falls doesn't seem to be spreading out with suburbs and there is plenty of space for the town to expand. I think billings and Bozeman are growing a bit but I'm not sure and have no data that shows the growth. I'm kind of to the point where I don't really care too much about what happens concerning growth and all, I'm kind of preoccupied with health issues and fixing my leaky roof ! I know how you feel about new noisy neighbors though. At our place on the F.H.Rez. we had a big open block next to us on the uphill side for years, then a local small time developer bought the block and built low income cracker box houses on it and a few have unsavory renters who party loud and don't control their dogs. None of the folks who moved into these new houses were from California, they were from Wa, Or, and other parts of Mt. I'm liking living in Conrad, an hour or two after sundown you can almost hear a pin drop it's so quiet. It can be a bit noisy during the late summer days with all the grain trucks delivering product to the elevators and I like the noise of the trains for some reason. On Sundays our town is like a ghost town, so quiet and empty it's almost spooky.

Last edited by Rickers; 09-19-2009 at 09:23 AM.. Reason: Cuz Ima lousie spellur and had to fix stuff !

Old 09-21-2009, 05:53 AM

281 posts, read 731,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf232 View Post
I can understand the reasoning... I have in-laws that live in socal that we visit from time to time. Way too many people out there for me.

When I posted the thread, I was frustrated due to some late night noise in the 3 tri-plexes that were built right behind my property (used to be an arabian ranch) and in meeting my new neighbors I've been hearing a lot of the "back in california we partied like this all the time" stories. With 2 small children this bugs me a bit.

It's going to be time to move soon I'm afraid, but for a working guy it's tough to come up with enough $$ to keep up with the inflating prices that have been caused by all the new growth that we just don't have the infrastructure to support.

Please understand that the area I live in has grown so fast over the last 10 years, especially the last 5 that to me the quality of life has dropped, even if the people moving into the area's has improved.

Rickers,
I'm not bashing you because you were born in Ca, heck my mom was born and raised in Pamona, and besides that you seem like a good guy. I'm just tired of the ones with little to no common courtesy, regardless of where they are from.
I understand. I don't know if it's a part of my getting older, or just completely fed up with being in any amount of population.... but I am so intolerant now to the noises of partying and all of that. We have some neighbors who spent their entire summer on sofas and chairs they moved out into their lawn lol and they are constantly having loud parties down the road. I live in a small area now, and could see myself very happy going further north and off the grid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or