U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2009, 01:35 PM

3 posts, read 5,397 times

Advertisements

Hey, everyone!

I understand the questions I'm asking have likely been asked over and over again. I'm a single dad with an elementary-aged daughter. For years I've wanted to live in Montana or North Dakota. I like the wide-open aspects, the remoteness, and the cold. We both love fishing, and my daughter has expressed an interest in joining me on hunting trips when she's a bit older. Basically, we like the outdoors a lot. She's looking forward to real snow for the first time, and well, I just miss it, having lived in cold places with actual seasons. I currently live in the southwest and cannot tolerate the heat much longer.

As a single dad, will I face any unique stigmas or other weird attitudess from people should we decide to relocate up north?

So far for Montana, I'm intrigued with Havre. The High-Line has that remote quality I'm looking for, yet still has people and amenities. I would be wanting to drive or fly on up and check things out, and perhaps spend a week or so just tooling around the area, meet the locals.

We have modest needs: smaller house, job for me, good school for her. Good hunting, fishing, and general outdoorsy stuff are bonuses.

Am I looking at an area that would be suitable, based on what I've described? I've read the Havre threads, but a lot of them are too busy knocking people from California (I'm not) or discussing stuff other than what the OP asked for. There were some good tidbits in there, however, I'm looking to hear from people that live there now and have a definitive say or opinions on the area. Parents chime in, too. I'd like to hear about the area in terms of kids' stuff, schools, etc.

How different, besides geography, is Havre from Kalispell, and what are the similarities.

As far as North Dakota goes, I'm looking at Valley City and west of Bismarck.

Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 10:48 PM

6,258 posts, read 12,912,703 times
What line of work are you looking for? I think that should be your first concern,
We can help you from there.
Kalispell will be more pricey IMO, live your dream, any move means adjustments. Good luck.

Old 09-19-2009, 03:21 AM

317 posts, read 945,149 times
Kalispell and Havre are quite different. Havre is on the east side, so it is drier, flatter, less beautiful, much cheaper. Not many jobs. Kalispell is on the west side, so it is wetter, prettier, grayer in the winter. Also not many jobs. Much more expensive. I saw one house for sale with a Kalispell address for $15 million. More population in Kalispell.

Like the first reply said, focus on your employment and finding the job that will provide the required income for you and your family (your daughter).

Old 09-19-2009, 12:02 PM

3 posts, read 5,397 times
Thanks for the info, guys. I work in IT, and I can do almost anything short of programming. I'm willing to work for anyone. I'm not asking to make a ton of money, I'm asking for honest, long-term work. We do well on a little.

The reason I'm looking at Havre is because, from what I've read, it's small, conservative, and has everyday people. And, for a small town, it looks to have more than enough amenities.

I'm not looking to live where it's touristy, liberal, etc. We're conservative Christians looking at places that are like-minded. Basically, we're looking for a low-maintenace existence in a small town with good people. As I said, we like the outdoors. We both love to fish, and I hunt as often as I can and as money allows.

Looking for any info on Havre such as economy, schools, lifestyle, etc. It looks like I might not be able to afford Kalispell, and from what I'm reading, it appears to be going the same direction that Cody and Jackson Hole WY is going -- all touristy, the rich moving in, etc. I'd rather avoid all that.

Old 09-19-2009, 01:06 PM

6,258 posts, read 12,912,703 times
Take a look here
Nemont
they are a provider in the east side along with NorthDakota.
Do you understand some challanges of living on a reservation? IF so some of the towns they serve might work.
I like Havre but I think the homes are a bit pricey and they have been going up in the last year.

Old 09-20-2009, 02:47 PM

309 posts, read 868,516 times
Nothing is as pricey as the Flathead homes (Kalispell, Evergreen, Whitefish). If you're looking for quality education - consider those flat country areas like Great Falls, Billings and Bismarck.

Old 09-22-2009, 04:41 AM

2 posts, read 2,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbound2 View Post
Hey, everyone!

I understand the questions I'm asking have likely been asked over and over again. I'm a single dad with an elementary-aged daughter. For years I've wanted to live in Montana or North Dakota. I like the wide-open aspects, the remoteness, and the cold. We both love fishing, and my daughter has expressed an interest in joining me on hunting trips when she's a bit older. Basically, we like the outdoors a lot. She's looking forward to real snow for the first time, and well, I just miss it, having lived in cold places with actual seasons. I currently live in the southwest and cannot tolerate the heat much longer.

As a single dad, will I face any unique stigmas or other weird attitudess from people should we decide to relocate up north?

So far for Montana, I'm intrigued with Havre. The High-Line has that remote quality I'm looking for, yet still has people and amenities. I would be wanting to drive or fly on up and check things out, and perhaps spend a week or so just tooling around the area, meet the locals.

We have modest needs: smaller house, job for me, good school for her. Good hunting, fishing, and general outdoorsy stuff are bonuses.

Am I looking at an area that would be suitable, based on what I've described? I've read the Havre threads, but a lot of them are too busy knocking people from California (I'm not) or discussing stuff other than what the OP asked for. There were some good tidbits in there, however, I'm looking to hear from people that live there now and have a definitive say or opinions on the area. Parents chime in, too. I'd like to hear about the area in terms of kids' stuff, schools, etc.

How different, besides geography, is Havre from Kalispell, and what are the similarities.

As far as North Dakota goes, I'm looking at Valley City and west of Bismarck.

Thanks...

At you very interesting plans. I envy you. At you is болшие which possibilities not at all are available. I wish your of good luck.

Last edited by debey; 09-22-2009 at 07:48 AM.. Reason: Removed signature lline, per TOS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana