Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 11:41 PM

34 posts, read 338,401 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I am in my mid-20's, with 2 elementary age children, single parent, and I am thinking about moving to Montana to "start fresh". I do have some college education (nursing), but never got my degree, and most of my work experience is in retail sales and working with disabled/elderly people.

I was wondering if I could get some opinions on where would be a good place to look at? I would need child care after school, and low housing costs, with opportunities for work somewhere along the lines of what I'm experienced at, tho I'm willing to try just about anything. (I know, I don't want much, do I? lol!) I currently live in northeastern Wyoming and still have family here, so somewhere within a day's drive (in kid time) would be nice. Winters don't bother me (grew up in WY) and I'm a bit of a rock hound and have heard Montana has some places that are good for gemstones and artifacts? It's just us three with little outside financial help, so my main need is low cost of living.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2007, 08:54 AM

297 posts, read 794,619 times
Although I'm not sure where would be the best places to look, I can tell you where NOT to look. The Missoula and Bozeman areas have very high housing costs, although I think they're the two best places in the state (I'm in Missoula). Small towns in the eastern part of Montana have the lowest costs of living. For rockhounding, the Dillon area in SW MT is good, but I don't know about the cost of living there. Good luck. You might want to get your degree first before you move; that would open up a lot more opportunities for you.

Old 05-04-2007, 07:48 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,151,624 times
Is there still a school of nursing in.. ah, hell, didn't it used to be in Butte? If so you could finish up your degree there. Qualified nurses can always get a job just about anywhere.

Also, when I was growing up in MT there was no better public school system anywhere.

As to other sorts of jobs, tho, and housing costs... what MontanaGyrl said.

Old 05-05-2007, 10:16 AM

373 posts, read 1,852,453 times
Hi, there is a two-year nursing program in Butte and one in Helena. Butte would have the better cost of living, but their nursing program is SUPER competitive. Helena's is really hard, too. But, I guess that's a good thing! We want qualified nurses working on our charts, right? If you had to pick a totally new career, I would do nursing if you had the commitment and academic skills to commit yourself to it. You'll never be out of a job and you can do it in almost any town.

Old 05-05-2007, 10:36 AM

10 posts, read 44,311 times
Hi Jesslo,

Another post talks about high housing costs but Missoula is recognized as being one of the very best places for kids.

The public school system has a nationally recognized after school program that would be good for a working mom. Additionally, Missoula is one of the biggest retail markets in the state. Since you have a lot of retail experience you may easily qualify for a job there.

Butte, is indeed a cheaper place to live but rough. It's not a terribly attractive town and lots of chemical toxins floating everywhere in SW MT. Deer Lodge and Anaconda are equally affordable but not a lot to offer currently in the way of jobs or good support for a single mom

Jesslo, please keep in mind that a lot of Montana transplants have done what you're trying to do. They've come to start over. Lot's of them leave within a short time and do not succeed in starting over. Your plan to be 'close' to home is a good one allowing you distance but not long distance.

Good luck and welcome, if you choose, to Montana. We welcome you!

Old 05-07-2007, 06:01 PM

297 posts, read 794,619 times
About nursing schools, there is an LPN program, I believe, at Missoula's College of Technology, and the 4-year university program for nurses is hq'd at MSU in Bozeman.

Old 05-07-2007, 08:52 PM

34 posts, read 338,401 times
Thank you everybody for your input. For those of you who live in MT, do you like it? Do you think it's a good place for kids to grow up? In the town where I currently live, we're having a huge problem with meth right now, although I know you get that with a lot of smaller towns...

Old 05-08-2007, 10:48 PM

373 posts, read 1,852,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesslo View Post
Thank you everybody for your input. For those of you who live in MT, do you like it? Do you think it's a good place for kids to grow up? In the town where I currently live, we're having a huge problem with meth right now, although I know you get that with a lot of smaller towns...
I have written a lot about meth in Montana if you go look at some of my older posts.

Old 05-14-2007, 01:54 AM

14 posts, read 78,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGyrl View Post
About nursing schools, there is an LPN program, I believe, at Missoula's College of Technology, and the 4-year university program for nurses is hq'd at MSU in Bozeman.
And you can take the 4-year courses in Missoula at the U of M also. I would still stay away from Missoula for any number of reasons the largest being wage vs cost of living is a complete joke. Jobs are not so hard to find but dont expect to be able to find one that you can support a child with without some luck or a collage education.
As far as meth, bah its more a political rally point that a real large problem. Sure its here but its still not at the point where you should consider razing your kids someplace else because of it.

Last edited by Quistoman; 05-14-2007 at 02:03 AM..

Old 05-14-2007, 05:37 AM

10 posts, read 27,379 times
I used to live in Whitefish, MT.,for twelve yrs. I recently moved back east. Whitefish is expensive for a single mom. It is a beautiful place to raise children. Meth has and continues to be a major problem. I owned a day care in WF. we took many classes on the drug/meth problems in MT. columbia falls and Kalispell are less expensive and with a good eye and research you can find quality child care there. make sure you like winter months....they can seem long there. good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana