U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 01:21 AM

103 posts, read 165,508 times
Default relocation question

My wife and i are thinking of moving to bozeman area from idaho. I grew up in he midwest and would like to go back there. My wife feels bozeman is a better fit for us. I have done some research and i am willing to listen to what people have to say. how are the schools and people? We live in what i call the city coeur d'alene. too much traffic so cal attitude and people who need to shut up instead of talking. I grew in a small farm area unincorpated and would like to live like that again, I hunt fish and snowmobile so she thinks that the outdoors would be a good fit for me. Tell me what you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 11:01 AM

6,044 posts, read 6,121,104 times
Try the western portion of the "Golden Triangle" region in north central Montana. You'll have the mid western feeling while still being near the mountains.

Old 09-20-2009, 02:31 PM

309 posts, read 576,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselperformanceidaho View Post
My wife and i are thinking of moving to bozeman area from idaho. I grew up in he midwest and would like to go back there. My wife feels bozeman is a better fit for us. I have done some research and i am willing to listen to what people have to say. how are the schools and people? We live in what i call the city coeur d'alene. too much traffic so cal attitude and people who need to shut up instead of talking. I grew in a small farm area unincorpated and would like to live like that again, I hunt fish and snowmobile so she thinks that the outdoors would be a good fit for me. Tell me what you think?
CDA isn't all that crowded, but Bozeman is. And, it has more than its share of Kali's too, along with a more liberal crowd nearby.

I am from NW Indiana and I go back every couple of years and then hightail it back here and kiss the ground!

Come on up to farm country - that's east of Bozeman and north to the border. Lots of room to roam as long as you don't need medical care and night life.

Old 09-20-2009, 03:05 PM

8,490 posts, read 10,898,239 times
I've gone through Bozeman several times over the past couple of months. I would say it's more congested than CDA, but not nearly as pretty -- actually it's not even close.

Bozeman appears to be suffering the effects of suburban sprawl and affluenza, Belgrade in particular really looks like it has become cookie-cutter land.

I think someone expecting to live the true rural/outdoor Montana lifestyle would be extremely disappointed by Bozeman. It seems like the new/hip/trendy place to be, unfortunately. Think Boulder, CO or a mini-Seattle.

Old 09-20-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Try the western portion of the "Golden Triangle" region in north central Montana. You'll have the mid western feeling while still being near the mountains.
Like great falls or ??

Old 09-20-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlogger View Post
CDA isn't all that crowded, but Bozeman is. And, it has more than its share of Kali's too, along with a more liberal crowd nearby.

I am from NW Indiana and I go back every couple of years and then hightail it back here and kiss the ground!

Come on up to farm country - that's east of Bozeman and north to the border. Lots of room to roam as long as you don't need medical care and night life.
like heron/ noxon ??

Old 09-20-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I've gone through Bozeman several times over the past couple of months. I would say it's more congested than CDA, but not nearly as pretty -- actually it's not even close.

Bozeman appears to be suffering the effects of suburban sprawl and affluenza, Belgrade in particular really looks like it has become cookie-cutter land.

I think someone expecting to live the true rural/outdoor Montana lifestyle would be extremely disappointed by Bozeman. It seems like the new/hip/trendy place to be, unfortunately. Think Boulder, CO or a mini-Seattle.
hip and trendy is for the wife, if it's worse then cda then i don't want any part of it

Old 09-20-2009, 04:54 PM

8,490 posts, read 10,898,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselperformanceidaho View Post
hip and trendy is for the wife, if it's worse then cda then i don't want any part of it
I can't really say for sure, but Bozeman seems more college/education/career oriented....and I'm sure you're aware of all that goes with that. If you know Missoula at all, they're pretty similar.

CDA doesn't strike me the same way, CDA is more of a vacation destination if anything, and of course it attracts CA transplants like flies on turds.

Old 09-20-2009, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I can't really say for sure, but Bozeman seems more college/education/career oriented....and I'm sure you're aware of all that goes with that. If you know Missoula at all, they're pretty similar.

CDA doesn't strike me the same way, CDA is more of a vacation destination if anything, and of course it attracts CA transplants like flies on turds.
I and people from cail are on differant wavelengths. My parents are smart people when they say yes you left home but you can always come back

Old 09-21-2009, 06:19 PM

309 posts, read 576,715 times
Nope more like GTFalls - east and along the High Line. Or north of Billings and along MT 200 or US12
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana