U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2008, 06:55 PM

1,219 posts, read 2,817,231 times

Advertisements

Most of the folks I know on ranch and farm lands still run them, a couple have sold off a couple tracts and kept the majority. Partially due to taxes and some to eliminate some debt. Some have moved from doing as much farming, to outfitting hunts and such to make up the difference. Although I hear hay and grain are up right now??

Sounds like the old codger wanted to retire and didn't want to see his place turn into a subdivision. (just a guess)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 07:18 PM

6,023 posts, read 11,917,818 times
I guess I've been living in Sanders county too long ! We don't have a bunch of condo developments yet and there still aren't any red, yellow, green traffic lights yet in the whole freaking county and we are in western Montana. I guess we'll be next to be invaded but I'll be gone by then, I'm moving to a small town way up near the high line that is dieing to have people move back in !

Old 02-07-2008, 07:24 PM

1,436 posts, read 2,926,438 times
property appreciation and prosperity is a ***** ain't it ? Any whiners want to trade property appreciation problems ? What....NO you said....didn't think so......

Old 02-07-2008, 07:47 PM

I love it up there in Sanders. My wife and I flew into Thompson Falls on the way back from our Honeymoon in Cour D'alaine last summer. We followed the Clark Fork all the way back from lake Ponderay (not sure if I spelled that right) and fueled up there. Georgeous!

Old 02-09-2008, 10:24 AM

6,023 posts, read 11,917,818 times
The last time we took a little drive up Thompson River Road we had to wind our way through all the Bighorn Sheep lounging about on the road. Two more miles up we stopped to watch two Moose hanging around the river. Too bad the prices for properties are out of our reach here now. I'm glad we bought when we did ! Any more investments we make in the form of real estate will have to be east of the divide.
I've seen that word spelled that way before. Mostly it is spelled Pend Oreille as some of the aboriginal peoples wore earrings and french trappers gave them the name Pend Oreille meaning "earrings" The spelling varies just as the spelling for Kootenai varies from one area to another. I have also seen Salish spelled Selish, Salish means "People" in the Salish language ! I love this area, there is a lot of fairly "fresh" history.
David Thomson was quite a guy, I think he dragged his family along on some of his mountain mapping excursions. We don't have statues of him every where here but we should. He doesn't get enough recognition in the U.S. because he was a Canadian I guess.

Old 02-09-2008, 02:47 PM

Didn't the Navy used to do submarine testing in lake Pend Oreille? (Thanks for the spelling!) It was absolutely fantastic looking at it from the air.

We might come up there later this year to do some history hunting. One of these days I'd like to read up on David Thompson.

I know what you mean about property pricing, we are lucky we bought when we did also here in Gallatin County. Although I did see a banner on some condo's the other day that was advertising condos for sale for 100K. (I haven't seen that in at least 3 years..) Maybe the market will come down a bit. It would be nice to invest in some land, but right now were all tied up between our 16 month old, my wifes schooling and my flight training. Oh and then there is this Job thing that we have to do inbetween!! busy busy busy...

Old 02-09-2008, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan_K View Post
property appreciation and prosperity is a ***** ain't it ? Any whiners want to trade property appreciation problems ? What....NO you said....didn't think so......
I know this goes both ways.. It's nice to watch value go up when you own, and it's nice to watch it come down when you don't. Not so fun the other way. A little stability would be nice for a change. I live in the first house I've ever owned still and am just thankful to have it.

Old 02-09-2008, 05:09 PM

5,963 posts, read 10,760,228 times
Default Wow, sounds like Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenzebel View Post
Many people move to Montana because of the nature all around us, yet once they are here, they want all of the conveniences they left behind. They move into the forest and then they want their roads paved or plowed, they want to see grizzly bears so they moved into their habitat, only to complain if the bear eats their dog, etc.

Long time residents have had to sell property that has been in their families for generations because the family can no longer afford the property taxes. Out-of-staters have inflated the property values and therefore, the taxes. In addition, some famous people move here and act like they are better than anyone else. They don't try to fit in and are clueless about being a good neighbor. Like Mary Hart and Burt Sugarman who bought a parcel of land next to state land in Whitefish and then wanted the @ 50 acre parcel of state land (which was open for public use) fenced to give them more privacy. They managed to lease it from the state by outbidding a logging contractor. I haven't heard if they've fenced it off. How would you feel if you were a Whitefish native accustomed to accessing that piece of state land all of your life only to be locked out of it? I could go on and on with similar situations that have happened here. Incidents like this are what make Montanans resent newcomers.It isn't just the wealthy either; the wealthy just have the means to make a bigger impact.

I am not saying all newcomers are all bad. David Letterman bought a ranch here and he appears to be a good neighbor so far. But he hasn't come in with a haughty attitude and tried to change things either.

People who grew up here and people that moved here before it was "discovered" accepted a certain lifestyle to be here, and it generally didn't include all the amenities of suburban life. Unfortunately, this is no longer true. It sickens me every day to see this change.
How true that is, even up here in Alaska. Newcomers come here, want to make it just like where they use to live, complain about the moose, wolves and bears, and want concrete cities. Ughhhhhhh I get sick of them! Plus Anchorage is full of yuppies from lower 48 states who want it to be a cosmopolitan city, give me a break. And then some newcomers wonder why they aren't welcome. Go figure huh.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,468 times
Thumbs up I hope to visit this AWESOME STATE!!

Hello,
Despite Being An Ohio Native And Never Have Visited Montana , I Still Think I Can Describe It Is "awesome." I Have Seen Many Photos Online, And Cannot Believe It. It's Like A Different World (esp. If You're From The Eastern Midwest Or The East) From What I Hear. It's Literally One Of The Few States That Even Without Being There, You Already Think It's Amazing!! Now That's Pretty Good, When Photos Without Travel, Are Already Proof!!!!

I Have To Agree . It Is Not Only Extremely Disrespectful To Humanhandle And Invade The Land With Developing Areas, It Really Saddens Me. It's Basically Littering. Now, I Will Admit It Would Take Me Some Getting Used To, But I Would Not Want To Change It To Myyy Fancy.

If I Do Come To Visit Or Even Live, I Promise To Be The Upmost Respectful And Appreciative. I Guess I Don't Want To Be Unliked B/c I Am From Another Place. Now I Feel Like A Puppy That Came To Your Doorstep Or Backyard, Wagging Its Tail, Trying To Be Adopted!!!

10 Thumbs Up 4 Montana.......
Amnd I Have Not Even Been There Yet!!!

Old 02-09-2008, 07:12 PM

3 posts, read 5,234 times
oh goodie montana is getting a Starbucks I hope they also get a Jack in the box
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana