U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2008, 11:57 PM

2 posts, read 5,146 times

Advertisements

I am an active duty member of the Navy serving in Iraq and am looking for a quiet place to call home after I return to the states, I also will be purchasing in Montana. Not because Montana is beautifull, but because Montana is beautifull and it fits my intersts and politcal views.

I believe that where new-comers are wrong is moving someplace because "its pretty" not taking into account if the area fits their lifestyle. Dont move to Montana with the assumption that you are going to re-invent the wheel... Are you an anti-hunter? Move to Vermont. Are you a "liberal" that detest 4 wheeling and thinks fishing is cruel? Maybe New Hampshire is the place for you. My point is move somewhere you will fit. Dont just move someplace nice expect the locals to change then complain when they resent you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 05:59 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,553,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaswanny View Post
I am an active duty member of the Navy serving in Iraq and am looking for a quiet place to call home after I return to the states, I also will be purchasing in Montana. Not because Montana is beautifull, but because Montana is beautifull and it fits my intersts and politcal views.

I believe that where new-comers are wrong is moving someplace because "its pretty" not taking into account if the area fits their lifestyle. Dont move to Montana with the assumption that you are going to re-invent the wheel... Are you an anti-hunter? Move to Vermont. Are you a "liberal" that detest 4 wheeling and thinks fishing is cruel? Maybe New Hampshire is the place for you. My point is move somewhere you will fit. Dont just move someplace nice expect the locals to change then complain when they resent you.
Welcome and our sincere thanks for doing what you do!

Old 10-11-2008, 05:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,795 times
I am also looking to relocate to Montana. I did not know there was that much resentment in a place where myself and my family was treated so well. It sounds as if every one just needs to get along. Can someone give suggestions on relocating to Montana.

Old 10-11-2008, 07:06 PM

6,023 posts, read 11,911,328 times
Bring a jacket ! A pair of gloves will come in handy too !

Old 03-17-2009, 11:39 AM

1 posts, read 2,565 times
I can remember living in Lakeside as a boy. As a boy I loved running through the woods and screaming down some of the steep hills on my bike. I spent most of my time sledding in the winter. And every summer I lived down at the dock so I could swim in the lake. My parents and I enjoyed staying at the Lakeside motel. But this was when the Air Force base was there and my dad worked up on the mountain. Reading some of these posts though shows how times have changed. I understand there's a ski resort up there now. I've thought about moving back there but knowing Letterman has a house there dampens my motivation. I really can't stand him. I guess friction is to be expected w/Cali people and mountain people. And I mean mountain people in a respectful way. I'm sure Cali people just don't get it. There's good people living in Lakeside, Big Fork, Somers and Kalispell. Maybe I'll retire there.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:02 PM

19 posts, read 37,028 times
I am new to the forum, but must say I see the same arrogance and condescension from some of the out of state posters, as I see from many who actually move here to the Flathead.
People come with their misbehaving children, hoping a change will make them better. It doesn't. It just raises the crime rate here, and makes a new generation of trailer trash, regardless of how big of a house they may be living in. Many of the adults have had no real responsibility in their life, and live only for the narcissistic entertainment of their selves
It was a fine old tradition that when some trouble makers moved into the area, they were made to see it would be much better for their well-being to get out. Some of that still goes on, but not enough.
Native raised children tend to be polite and respectful.
Many came here years ago, to live the mountain way of life. That meant hunting, fishing, cutting firewood, and helping your neighbors. If a forest fire started, we were always there to help, and many times had the fires out before the government ever got involved. If something suspicious was going on at a neighbors, you would go with a rifle to find out what was wrong.
There are still people here without an inside toilet, electricity, or telephone. They know how to fix a truck or a chain saw, how to brand a cow. They know how to butcher the animals they harvest, tan the hides, and wear the leather. The intent was to live deliberately, as Thoreau said, rather than depend on materialistic possessions.
And we live this way, because we choose to. Outsiders can never understand this mentality, considering the way they did it where ever they came from to be the best way.
Why do people move to an area, and try to change it to like where they came from? If they liked it so well there, that is where they should be.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:34 PM

7,543 posts, read 12,609,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric Carter View Post
Why do people move to an area, and try to change it to like where they came from? If they liked it so well there, that is where they should be.
Yep, exactly my problem with newcomers, wherever they may move to!!

Old 04-01-2009, 07:39 PM

93 posts, read 278,920 times
I agree with you! Newcomers should adapt to the area of where they are moving to. I, myself live in New Jersey and would love to live in Montana with no malls, nothing materialistic and just adapt to the small town ways of Montana. Unfortunately, I am one of the few.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:24 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,883,108 times
jenzebel wrote:
Out-of-staters have inflated the property values
Actually I think it's more of a two way street. The local who sold to the Out-of-stater COULD have asked for, and taken a lower price.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:53 AM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 4,848,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
jenzebel wrote:
Out-of-staters have inflated the property values
Actually I think it's more of a two way street. The local who sold to the Out-of-stater COULD have asked for, and taken a lower price.
Tongue-in-cheek funny, but obviously counter to human nature. However, it does bring up a question I have. Following real estate listings in the Mission Valley over the past two years, I note the seller almost never reduces the listing price. Certainly some sellers just list it trolling for "out-of-staters" and don't have to sell. However, that excuse can't fit everybody, and I can't believe people would endure the inconvenience of listing if they didn't care if it ever sold.

Most real estate guidelines suggest a price decrease if you don't have any serious offers in several months. Can anyone explain if the "price-in-granite" approach is the norm in Montana, or are there some secret rules that I don't understand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana