Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2009, 07:37 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,676,883 times

Advertisements

Your frustration is justified TW. Providing for your family is important but being there is just as important. As terrible as the housing situation is I think it will work out in the long run for the native Montanan if they can hang on. I think some areas are a goner, like most of Oregon. Those areas will suffer, feel for the sheep who bought at the height of the prices. You hang onto your little slice of heaven. We had no more neighbors who spoke english, hence I am just about as far east as I can get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 12:51 AM

20 posts, read 46,480 times
I am from Vermont. Look at photos from just 20 years ago in Vermont. Then Visit Burlington. The nice people from NJ and MA (same as CA) have seen fit to suburbanize every inch of farmland in Chittenden County with vinyl sided McMansions, and super box stores. Why do these people think they have to exploit and develop every rural, clean, safe and SANE state in America? To top it off the liberal do gooders have turned Burlington into a gang bangers welfare paradise. My advice..... Fight this kind of change on EVERY level of government. I would welcome a person like eatdrums to VT or MT! The sad thing is most people who are migrating to these places are not like him. They are pretentious and think they can buy everything. Here in VT they are identified easily as aging boomers with whimsical hats, "eclectic" clothing, kind of dressed down but with birkenstocks, Northface jackets and expensive watches. They mostly drive Subaru's and Volvos with Thule ski racks, and sip Latte with their laptops at the local cafe. The first thing they do is go to town meeting and fight wind towers and lobby for more welfare and higher taxes. I am not right winger, but this ilk will destroy your state with their "good intentions". It is all just disguised greed by people who feel they are entitled and enlightened. Talk to an out of stater and see what they are about. If they fit this description shun them like the plague, and let them know they are NOT welcome in Montana. If they are like EATDRUMS (previous poster) welcome them with open arms and say "thank you for coming"! We have just been overrun with this in Vermont. Put up signs on your property if you have to. Just don't let MT turn into VT!!!!

Last edited by popeels2you; 04-27-2009 at 01:05 AM.. Reason: spell

Old 04-27-2009, 05:52 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,676,883 times
I have been known to wear Burks in the past, but then I did live in Eugene....
Oregon Country Fair

Old 04-27-2009, 09:18 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,169,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popeels2you View Post
They are pretentious and think they can buy everything. Here in VT they are identified easily as aging boomers with whimsical hats, "eclectic" clothing, kind of dressed down but with birkenstocks, Northface jackets and expensive watches. They mostly drive Subaru's and Volvos with Thule ski racks, and sip Latte with their laptops at the local cafe.
Wow... I'd say you just described 60% of the "new" Bozemanites.

Some are older and some seem to be trust fund types. Subarus, Volvos and Audi cars, all with the Thule racks! Too funny.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:34 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
Those of you who disdain the trust-fund types.....would you decline the $$$ if you were fortunate enough to be the recipient of a trust fund or do you get your jollies by resenting the good fortune of someone different than you?

Old 04-27-2009, 10:00 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,162,403 times
The trouble is that most trust-fund babies have never had to work for a living, so they have no idea what it's like. They're free to pursue their dreams without anything to hold them back. No need to answer to an employer or a customer at 8am every Monday morning, no need to worry about whether the economic downturn will take their business or their job. Yeah, it must be great to be a trust-fund baby, with no worries and no need to be responsible to anyone or anything.

And even when they're decent people, they tend to be too liberal with everyone else's money -- having never had to earn their bread, they don't realize that other people may not be able to afford the higher taxes and expensive houses that come easily to the trust-funders, and the higher cost of living that results from the changes that trust-funders demand. And since they can wave around the big bucks, they usually get the change they want, much to the detriment of everyone else.

And being used to privilege, they find it easy to do stuff like buy up a big tract, then close it to hunting, without a thought for those who might have depended on that land to put meat on the table. They find it easy to promote fringe causes that negatively impact everyone else, because the trust-funders won't have to pay for it or lose their jobs to it. Is it any wonder that regular working folks don't like them much??

Old 04-27-2009, 01:25 PM

It's also a sort of culture shock for some of us, imagine one day all these people showed up in your town, and now want to tell you how things should be but yet most of them don't even need to work, or just work to have something to do when they are not busy vacationing...

Some of us actually liked how things were and would like to see it get back to that way.. I'm so tired of hearing "change change change" all the time... It would be nice if people would embrace the GOOD parts of what they have and just try to change the bad stuff instead of trying to revamp EVERYTHING constantly. There are some things that are just fine the way they are.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:36 PM

239 posts, read 687,841 times
You think Montana has too many folks from California? Just wait. California has the highest state tax and sales tax (11% in Los Angeles) in the country already along with enormous business taxes. Lawmakers in Sacramento are trying to raise another $16 billion in taxes. People from CA will be moving out in droves. They will run their businesses from Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Nevada, and Montana.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:40 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
Reziac wrote:
The trouble is that most trust-fund babies have never had to work for a living, so they have no idea what it's like. They're free to pursue their dreams without anything to hold them back. No need to answer to an employer or a customer at 8am every Monday morning, no need to worry about whether the economic downturn will take their business or their job. Yeah, it must be great to be a trust-fund baby, with no worries and no need to be responsible to anyone or anything.

Wether something is trouble or not trouble is a matter of perspective. Not being a trust-funder myself, I cannot give you the perspective of the trust-funder, yet I imagine that most if not all of them do not perceive being a trust-funder as trouble. I imagine that most of them think of it as pretty darn good karma.

Timberwolf232 wrote:
It's also a sort of culture shock for some of us, imagine one day all these people showed up in your town, and now want to tell you how things should be
My family has been in Pennsylvania since 1742, so they obviously like living there and they managed to adjust to the dramatic influx of immigrants, and development that has taken place during the past 267 years. Adjusting to change is nothing special. Change has been happening all over the world for centuries. What makes a resident of Montana so different from the rest of the world? Why do some people feel so entitled to have things be the way THEY want them to be? This entitlement attitude seems like a primitive remnant from the days of the caveman. Anyone choosing to hold on to this entitlement mentality is doomed to a life of frustration, resentment, unhappiness, and probably bitterness too. Change will happen anyway, no matter how entitled some people may feel. It's an attitude that is guaranteed by nature to make anyone espousing it....a loser to the forces of change.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Why do some people feel so entitled to have things be the way THEY want them to be? This entitlement attitude seems like a primitive remnant from the days of the caveman. Anyone choosing to hold on to this entitlement mentality is doomed to a life of frustration, resentment, unhappiness, and probably bitterness too. Change will happen anyway, no matter how entitled some people may feel. It's an attitude that is guaranteed by nature to make anyone espousing it....a loser to the forces of change.
To me it seems like the ones that feel entitled to have things the way THEY want them to be, are the ones moving in and trying to change things to the way that THEY want them to be (box stores, chain restaurants and stores, condo developments, resorts etc..) instead of adapting to the way things are in the area they moved to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana