U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2009, 06:59 PM

11 posts, read 21,296 times

Advertisements

techie09, I live in Texas and want to retire in Montana in about a year and a half. I got some advice to not go to one of those small towns because Sheriff "Bubbu" rules and doesn't like outsiders. Heard Roundup is not one of those kinds. I am looking at land in the Evergreen Park which is between Billings and Roundup, 20-40 ac. lots. Where in Texas do you live? I'm about 25 miles NW of that small town Houston.........Steve104c.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 08:41 PM

11 posts, read 18,162 times
I plan to move to Montana in the next 6 months with my fiance' due to the fact of overcrowding in ohio. There is no room to stretch your legs anymore. I come from a 100 acre farm in a small town, but houses have been built all around my parents property and it is awful! I plan to move to the Butte area and hope to buy a large chunk of land. Not all newcomers are rude, selfish, and stupid, I love nature and plan to perserve at least half of the property I buy as wilderness for the wildlife to grow. I fought expantion and growth in ohio so I will be damned if I let some montanan give me a hard time for standing next to him on an issue! That is plain foolish to fight someone who is fighting for the same cause! I am a country person, and I believe in protecting the enviroment and the animals who live in it. So if some of you montanans dont want me to come, thats too darn bad cuz i am comin one way or the other and if you give me a chance I might be a person you call a friend one day

Old 11-30-2009, 09:43 AM

448 posts, read 918,474 times
Oh yes, there is nothing wrong with "preserving" but don't cut hunters off of any more land. There needs to be balance between nature and nurture.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:13 AM

6,023 posts, read 11,864,029 times
Thumbs down Don't be a Huey !

Quote:
Originally Posted by janab View Post
Oh yes, there is nothing wrong with "preserving" but don't cut hunters off of any more land. There needs to be balance between nature and nurture.
Yup you don't want to be like Hugh Anthony Cregg the third.
AKA,
Hughie Louis,
Huey Louis,
Huey Harp and
Huey Lewis.

Old 12-01-2009, 02:06 PM

1,219 posts, read 2,809,709 times
The more people move here to avoid overcrowding, the more crowded it gets here. It's a double edged sword.

Lot's of us feel like people are bringing more and more problems to the area as more people move in and rape the place.

The sad thing is the new people think it's so much better than where they came from, but where is the justice for the long timer who is losing their quality of life?

Nobody thinks about that, they just want to buy up all the land, restrict the access, build stupid box stores and chain restaurants and live the suburban lifestyle with a pretty view.

Try to drive around Bozeman or Belgrade at 7:30 AM and you will see what I'm talking about. At least in big cities the roads are developed enough to accept the traffic. All we get is a mess of people that can't drive in the snow, and little to no traffic flow once the first idiot hits the ditch.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:36 PM

7,540 posts, read 12,564,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf232 View Post
Try to drive around Bozeman or Belgrade at 7:30 AM and you will see what I'm talking about. At least in big cities the roads are developed enough to accept the traffic. All we get is a mess of people that can't drive in the snow, and little to no traffic flow once the first idiot hits the ditch.
I have an idea. Everyone gets issued stickers that go on their license plate:
1) You get a green sticker for each winter you get through without needing to be hauled out of the ditch.
2) You get a red sticker for each time you need to be hauled out of the ditch. Everyone carries red stickers, for tagging cars they have to help out of the ditch.

And next year, the cost of your tags hinges on the ratio of red to green stickers.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:18 PM

475 posts, read 1,314,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf232 View Post
The more people move here to avoid overcrowding, the more crowded it gets here. It's a double edged sword.

Lot's of us feel like people are bringing more and more problems to the area as more people move in and rape the place.

The sad thing is the new people think it's so much better than where they came from, but where is the justice for the long timer who is losing their quality of life?

Nobody thinks about that, they just want to buy up all the land, restrict the access, build stupid box stores and chain restaurants and live the suburban lifestyle with a pretty view.

I understand your points. Unfortunately things do change, and the changes are not always good.

We have had a tremedous amount of change since we moved here 30 years ago.

Than to make it worse each year we have to deal with "Snowbirds" - also known as seasonal residents. They show up in Nov. and leave in Apr. - by Dec. I am ready to hand out road maps with I -95 North highlighted. You probably have a similiar situation with skiers, tourists and sport hunters. Do you have a AAA membership, maybe you can give them some maps to Idaho.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:31 PM

6,443 posts, read 7,401,101 times
There are lots of complaints about growth in many states. All through the south, southwest and all rocky mountain states there is lots of growth. Its the same story everywere, all these newcomers are ruining our state. Well if you want somewhere that hasent changed come on out here to Michigan. Our terrible economy and tough climate have actually decreased the population. Things here look just like they did 30 to 50 years ago. Outside of Detoilet, Michigan is quiet and spread out. The northern half is really nice. Ive been to 46 states and most of them feel much more crowded than it is in Mich. I understand why people are flocking to places like Montana, but it is true that they are bringing their city with them. Living in rural Michigan im sure I will never see overcrowding here, or any newcomers. Our bad reputation is acually protecting our natural scenery, and peace and quiet.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:05 PM

475 posts, read 1,314,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
There are lots of complaints about growth in many states. All through the south, southwest and all rocky mountain states there is lots of growth. Its the same story everywere, all these newcomers are ruining our state. Well if you want somewhere that hasent changed come on out here to Michigan. Our terrible economy and tough climate have actually decreased the population. Things here look just like they did 30 to 50 years ago. Outside of Detoilet, Michigan is quiet and spread out. The northern half is really nice. Ive been to 46 states and most of them feel much more crowded than it is in Mich. I understand why people are flocking to places like Montana, but it is true that they are bringing their city with them. Living in rural Michigan im sure I will never see overcrowding here, or any newcomers. Our bad reputation is acually protecting our natural scenery, and peace and quiet.
Yes, the same thing is true of OH, my mother and son live in Warren. The cities are shrinking, due to lack of jobs. It is awful to see once nice little towns and cities, turning into slums.

But after visiting the Montana site over the past month, I have a better understanding of some of the things that have been happening.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:53 AM

519 posts, read 1,218,722 times
I live in the middle of nowhere as it is now, and love it, love not being super close to anyone, and have no desire to change Montana, I want a simple life, just a house for my family and would like some land eventually, with or without a house. I could care less about the chain stores and resturants, just give me a local grocery store, and a garden in the summer and we are happy campers. lol I have to say here in my town its shrinking also due to the economy. I promise to do what ever I can to help keep Montana clean and beautiful!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana