U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 09:37 PM

1,054 posts, read 2,568,931 times

Advertisements

Looks like we overnight lows in the single digits with highs in the 20's next Friday/Saturday. The ECMWF weather model has low temperatures across soutwestern and central Montana down near -10 but that is an outlier.

If you want to move to a snowier area of Montana, including Bozeman, you better be sure you like the snow and cold. I love it and even I tend to get tired of it by April and May when it's still snowing... If you dread snow and cold, chances are you'll be downright depressed here.

Also it's interesting to note that most of the 'trendy' areas around Bozeman are also at higher-elevation, snowier areas of the Gallatin Valley. Belgrade gets much less snow than Bozeman for example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 10:54 AM

6,488 posts, read 7,496,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post
Also it's interesting to note that most of the 'trendy' areas around Bozeman are also at higher-elevation, snowier areas of the Gallatin Valley. Belgrade gets much less snow than Bozeman for example.
Belgrade is also often 20 degrees colder in winter! I'd have to go into Bozeman to get warmed up.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:04 AM

I see the MT highway dept. has put up a bunch of new webcams. Looks like the usual suspects got the early white stuff.

Where the heck is "Aberdeen Hill"?? (other than somewhere east of Billings, by the mile marker) I never knew some of these places HAD names!

Old 10-06-2009, 12:42 PM

17,919 posts, read 22,650,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
I see the MT highway dept. has put up a bunch of new webcams. Looks like the usual suspects got the early white stuff.

Where the heck is "Aberdeen Hill"?? (other than somewhere east of Billings, by the mile marker) I never knew some of these places HAD names!
Aberdeen hill. Aberdeen is the last exit on I-90 before you hit the Wyoming line going towards Sheridan. Nasty hill. Chain marks in the pavement where trucks have spun and spun. Chain marks on the guard rail where truckers have chained their trucks to the rail to keep from sliding back down.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Aberdeen hill. Aberdeen is the last exit on I-90 before you hit the Wyoming line going towards Sheridan. Nasty hill. Chain marks in the pavement where trucks have spun and spun. Chain marks on the guard rail where truckers have chained their trucks to the rail to keep from sliding back down.
Oh, THAT hill, the hill that goes on forever. I'll bet most truckers call it something else entirely. I think I last went over it back about 1983, or whichever winter it was I had to drive down to the mine near Sheridan and get my own coal!

Hey, that brings to mind a possible project: Comments for travellers about each of the points currently under webcam scrutiny, or tales of adventures you'd rather not have had at that point in your journey

Old 10-06-2009, 10:37 PM

6,259 posts, read 8,575,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post

Thanks for the link

Old 10-07-2009, 09:42 AM

15 posts, read 22,969 times
Bummer....I won't get to see any of that stuff where I am

We are only just now able to cut the air off and open the windows.

Great pics! I enjoyed them.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:05 PM

6,259 posts, read 8,575,973 times
Welcome to the board, feel free to park your beach chair anytime
BTW I will have snow by Friday morn..

Old 10-07-2009, 09:23 PM

Is that a bunch of traffic backed up at Sweetgrass, or has the webcam lost its mind??

This image, if it's changed by when you see this post (this will be there for a while, not sure how long they keep 'em tho)
http://rwis.mdt.mt.gov/ScanWeb/Wx/images/Vid-000629001-00-00-2009-10-08-02-06.jpg (broken link)

Speaking of webcams and darkness, I always find this statement amusing:
Please note: At night, the camera image will appear black
and the roadway will not be visible due to a lack of illumination.
When the sun goes down, it gets dark outside... who knew??!

So... Is snow still white after dark??

Last edited by Reziac; 10-07-2009 at 09:33 PM.. Reason: more fun with cameras

Old 10-07-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
Welcome to the board, feel free to park your beach chair anytime
BTW I will have snow by Friday morn..
Now that's a hilarious image... I think we should have a winter picnic, complete with beach chairs, and even a beach! Well, with ice-fishing, anyway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana