Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 08:44 AM

309 posts, read 991,403 times

Advertisements

Been there already. Got mine - get it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 10:39 AM

24 posts, read 125,474 times
Default What Montana is like

I like your question because it leaves the field wide open. You didn't mention where you and your husband are moving from, which really could affect how you might adapt to Montana, especially certain locations in Montana. Taking a job with the BLM would mean federal payscale in (likely) a location with cheaper cost of living (such as the Malta or Glasgow field offices). In other words, depending upon how long you plan to stay with the job, and where you are moving from, you might be able to find a house (to buy or rent) at a much cheaper price then you might be used to. Oilfield work will be possible in Eastern Montana, esp. Sidney, if you are stationed anywhere near there.

Montana is a give and take. If you love the sprawling chain stores, chain restaurants, and shopping of big city life, then be prepared to give that up when you move to Montana. But, in no time, such things become fleeting, and one realizes that Montana offers everything, including many privately-owned options with a strong sense of community pride that soon absorbs you. You'll soon wonder how you ever put up with big city life. So, moving to Montana, without going any further, if you are willing to give up some trivial things, then you are bound to take much more from the experience. Some people move to Montana for this reason alone.

Montana has been called a small community with very long roads. This is true, since Montana is home to some of the nicest people and some of the most beautiful (and long) drives. Despite some of the outside stereotypes of Montana, residents are welcoming to outsiders, but only if those moving in are not attempting to change the way of life. No one wants a new neighbor to tell them what color to paint their house, so to speak. Montanans are hospitable, yet protectively proud of their home, as they should be. Many people who visit tend to stay in Montana, others take the positive experience with them. I would suggest that you heartily research and visit the BLM field office you might work at. Get a sense of the town, the people. Anyone from Montana will tell you that the different communities and regions of the state are diverse.

Hope this helped, please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:33 AM

20 posts, read 97,740 times
I am from Boston. For fear of sounding naiive or rediculous, I'm fascinated by the idea of living off the land, being miles from civilization. I've seen really cheap land out there, but I wonder - what do people do for work when they live miles away from a town or whatever? How do they pay their mortgages? Do people save money and buy land before moving?

As a "city slicker" I am having trouble understanding it, but it's one of those fantasies that I can't seem to shake.

Thanks for listening.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:05 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,380,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scanz View Post
I am from Boston. For fear of sounding naiive or rediculous, I'm fascinated by the idea of living off the land, being miles from civilization. I've seen really cheap land out there, but I wonder - what do people do for work when they live miles away from a town or whatever? How do they pay their mortgages? Do people save money and buy land before moving?

As a "city slicker" I am having trouble understanding it, but it's one of those fantasies that I can't seem to shake.

Thanks for listening.
Years ago I used to teach at Brown and have made many enjoyable excursions to Boston. I say that as a caveat so I won't be accused of being negative about Boston. With that preface, let's examine your conjecture about being "miles from civilization"

Civilization
is defined as, "the process of civilizing or becoming civil".
I would submit that Montanans are more civil than a Bostonian during rush hour traffic.

Wikipedia goes on to state, "A civilized society is often characterized by advanced agriculture, long-distance trade, minimal government, occupational specialization, and urbanism. Again, what Montana lacks in urbanism, it more than makes up for in advanced agriculture and minimal government.

Based upon my overly simplistic analysis, you may wish to modify your perspective. If you move to Montana, you won't be "miles from civilization",
you will be right in the middle of true "civilization".

Old 02-14-2010, 02:27 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,410,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQHA View Post
Its exactly like Texas only completely different. The Same as Wyoming but quite dissimilar. Its equal to California but very unequal....
I love this part. So helpful.

To answer the OP, it's a laidback kind of energy. I find it harder to connect with people myself. They're just different. I remember my grandparents came out and visited us like 6 months after we moved here. It was summer and we were BBQ-ing in the yard. Our neighbor across the street just stood the edge of his porch staring at us for an uncomfortably long time.
Ooookay. Where I'm from, if someone were going to just stand there and look at us for that long, they'd probably yell "hello." (There have been many times when I've wanted to get into a Montanan's head, just so I could be a little less puzzled by them... and that's a prime example.)

There's a rugged aspect. Dry, kind of brown. It has it's green areas in the western part (mostly just pine), but not the lush abundance of both leafy green and pine I'm used to being from the upper midwest.

It's a nice state, but I just don't connect with the energy. I think there are other towns I'd probably prefer to live in more than Great Falls. I do prefer Billings (I think it maybe captures the western spirit a little more.. or something?), but again... of all the options in the world, I wouldn't choose there either.

Last edited by MSPLove; 02-14-2010 at 03:00 AM..

Old 02-14-2010, 06:52 PM

684 posts, read 1,150,933 times
scanz, I am a professional in Billings, and encounter many people from the far rural areas. Bottomline, few make a decent living. They live there because they usually make a "living", and that's about it. It's got to be the lifestyle. If they own a decent size ranch, they only make it if they are independently wealthy, inherited the ranch, were vvery shrewd in the good AND bad times, have oil royalties, or some combination of the above. That might be said for many people, but I think it's more true for the rural foks. Don't get me wqrong- I respect these folks. It's very hard work. Frankly, I wouldn''t do it, even if you gave me a large ranch. Remeber, the cattle have to be fed on Christmas morning--no holiday for them or their caretakers. Two old jokes in my business:
1. How do you make a small fotrune in ranching? A: Startr with a large fortune.
2. Definition of child abuse: Leave them the family ranch.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:22 AM

406 posts, read 1,360,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scanz View Post

Thanks for listening.
Scanz, the growing season here is extremely short, humidity is low, and the plants don't take well unless they are native. This is the deal with any high plains type climate. You will need a large greenhouse and a fully operating farm to be fully sustainable. With that requirement comes knowledge of raising livestock and agriculture.

I know a few who get by with bartering, but to me, their lives are lonely and isolated. Kiss the internet goodbye. You can live off the land on an acre back east if you are extremely devoted, why would you want to come to Montana to live off the land? It's harsh, and that makes it all the more beautiful.

Land near the mountains is pricey, land on the plains is cheap. In the mountains you will have a half year of snow, in the plains you will have a whole year of wind. It's not a romantic place, it is more organic than that. I have been to some of the state's most rugged and isolated areas, and they changed me. It's hard to explain, but when you are frozen solid, tired, and it's getting dark, there is some kind of cathartic understanding in your spirit, that this isn't a place to experiment with unless you have the skills to do so.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:42 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,676,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky1949 View Post
scanz, I am a professional in Billings, and encounter many people from the far rural areas. Bottomline, few make a decent living. They live there because they usually make a "living", and that's about it. It's got to be the lifestyle. If they own a decent size ranch, they only make it if they are independently wealthy, inherited the ranch, were vvery shrewd in the good AND bad times, have oil royalties, or some combination of the above. That might be said for many people, but I think it's more true for the rural foks. Don't get me wqrong- I respect these folks. It's very hard work. Frankly, I wouldn''t do it, even if you gave me a large ranch. Remeber, the cattle have to be fed on Christmas morning--no holiday for them or their caretakers. Two old jokes in my business:
Oh my that first one was funny.

Old 02-15-2010, 04:43 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,676,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael11747 View Post
Scanz, the growing season here is extremely short, humidity is low, and the plants don't take well unless they are native. This is the deal with any high plains type climate. You will need a large greenhouse and a fully operating farm to be fully sustainable. With that requirement comes knowledge of raising livestock and agriculture.

I know a few who get by with bartering, but to me, their lives are lonely and isolated. Kiss the internet goodbye. You can live off the land on an acre back east if you are extremely devoted, why would you want to come to Montana to live off the land? It's harsh, and that makes it all the more beautiful.

Land near the mountains is pricey, land on the plains is cheap. In the mountains you will have a half year of snow, in the plains you will have a whole year of wind. It's not a romantic place, it is more organic than that. I have been to some of the state's most rugged and isolated areas, and they changed me. It's hard to explain, but when you are frozen solid, tired, and it's getting dark, there is some kind of cathartic understanding in your spirit, that this isn't a place to experiment with unless you have the skills to do so.
That last sentence really sums it up.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:16 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,162,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky1949 View Post
OHOHAHAHEEHEE!!! That is SOOO true!!

Now where did I leave my straitjacket??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana