U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 08:36 AM

6,023 posts, read 11,882,223 times

Advertisements

Ronan Montana, the Mission Mountains are like the Tetons and there is still a small glacier directly above the town. There are grizzlies in those mountains too. Good luck finding a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 10:06 AM

239 posts, read 609,338 times
Thompson Falls may suit your needs.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:24 AM

989 posts, read 3,128,925 times
Anchorage is nice...

Old 11-04-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AQHA View Post
Anchorage is nice...
Funny that you mentioned Anchorage, I saw two rigs loaded up at the gas station today with Texas plates on and both rigs had painted on them in washable paint "North To Alaska" ! Then later today we saw another rig at the same gas station with Texas plates. Folks are on the move.
Another town that comes to mind is Libby, the northern Cabinet Mountains are very Teton like and I think there may still be a small glacier up there. It's still shown on the forest map and the Cabinet Range is presumed to have about 40 grizzlies. Then there is also Noxon, I used to have 10 acres near there. The Noxon area is the home base of the Militia Of Montana. The whole region of western Montana, north Idaho, and northeast Washington is very similar and it's my favorite part of the country. I also used to have forty acres near Colville Wa. It was part of an old homestead and I kind of wish I still had it.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:08 PM

38 posts, read 108,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royhinkley View Post
i am looking for a town like telluride colorado. where the mountains are right there hovering over the town.
If you are looking for a town in Montana that is geographically similar to Telluride, you are not going to find it. I can think of a lot of beautiful mountain towns in Montana but none that are as surrounded by mountains as Telluride.

If you want to live in an "honest-to-goodness" Montana mountain town, check out Ronan, St. Ignatius, Seeley, East Glacier, Choteau, Dupuyer, Augusta, Phillipsburg, Dillon, Pony, Livingston or White Sulpher. None of these places looks like Telluride. However, Most are still inhabited by people whose families have lived there for several generations. They are not in a constant state of "festival-ing." And, they are mostly still affordable. Unfortunately, there isn't a lot of call for chefs in most of these towns.

If you want a Montana mountain town that has been "remade" in the image of a Colorado mountain town, check out Whitefish, Big Sky, or Bozeman. None of these towns look like Telluride either but they cost a lot more to live in the the towns in the first list and they are more likely to need the services of a chef.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:15 PM

26 posts, read 43,912 times
thanks for your advice mtn_viking. i will do some research on those communities. how about red lodge? is that a good mountain town?

Old 11-04-2009, 07:27 PM

That region of Choteau, Dupuyer and Augusta is in the general area of where I took these pictures. Those towns are in the prairie right up near the Rocky Mountain Front.
Good luck finding a job ! (You're gonna get sick of hearing that.)

Old 11-04-2009, 07:40 PM

26 posts, read 43,912 times
why does everybody keep saying that? Good luck finding a job???? jobs are not impossible to come by.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:40 PM

38 posts, read 108,671 times
Red Lodge is a cool town. Very beautiful. I don't know how property prices are there. It would represent a good mix between my first and second lists above. Hopefully someone here can fill you in. As rickers has pointed out, finding work is a big issue in any of these towns unless you are independently wealthy.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:53 PM

989 posts, read 3,128,925 times
Dallas is nice. Good luck finding a job though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or